Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I am considering the YAMAHA Z1 and I was told by the dealer that the crossover is set at 90 and it is not adjustable. could you guys look into

your crystal ball and tell me what kind of problems this may cause me.

this will be my first home theatre so excuse the ignorance.

thanks.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Are you sure about this - I would check the manual for myself. The THX standard is 80 Hz so I don't know why Yamaha used 90. Most sub/sat systems will sound fine crossed over at 80 Hz, so having it fixed at that level is not a big deal IMO. Whether a fixed 90 Hz level makes a difference is hard to say. That said, most people want to be able to select different levels, even if it really is often of no great value. You might want to read this article:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-9-2002.html

Dsmith

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Often the higher end Yamahas' use 90Hz, additionally they will do some postprocessing similar to THX as well. But in order to avoid any direct legal confronting with Lucas they will designate slightly different specifications including X-Over frequencies. As mentioned previously the 90Hz should work fine for U unless the satellites are very, very small... "cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
My impression is that 10Hz is so indistinguishable (to the human ear) as to be irrelevant. I definitely wouldn't worry about it.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
First, you'll find the manual here . Its 9MB PDF file. Please refer to page(s) E-31(4), E-36, E-37, and especially page E-60(3). All of the available manuals can be found here .

Keep in mind when you open an Adobe PDF file you can perform a 'keyword' search by going to the toolbar and selecting Edit>Find... and then typing subwoofer, or 90 Hz, and so on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got this from Audioholics what do you guys think about what is said here?

and I quote

"It would be very usefull to have different crossover settings for each listening mode. I personally prefer to set the Xover of my sub at 40Hz for music and 70Hz for HT"

how much truth is to that? and is will I notice the difference?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
CodeEcks, what one pair of ears likes may be completely different from another pair of ears. The only thing I can offer to to experiment with various crossover points for various materials. Unfortunately, I do not think this is an option if using the internal crossover of the Yamaha.

BTW, you did view the manual, right? I would hate to think that I dug up that bit of information for nothing. :D

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinitro
Often the higher end Yamahas' use 90Hz, additionally they will do some postprocessing similar to THX as well. But in order to avoid any direct legal confronting with Lucas they will designate slightly different specifications including X-Over frequencies. As mentioned previously the 90Hz should work fine for U unless the satellites are very, very small... "cool:
I think its safe to say that the frequency of 80 Hz is not proprietary to THX.

Dsmith

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CodeEcks
I got this from Audioholics what do you guys think about what is said here?

and I quote

"It would be very usefull to have different crossover settings for each listening mode. I personally prefer to set the Xover of my sub at 40Hz for music and 70Hz for HT"

how much truth is to that? and is will I notice the difference?
You have to understand that a lot of audiophiles love nothing better than to make their systems complicated.

There is no difference between playing a movie and playing music. If the sub is set properly for movies, it will be set properly for music. If the sub is set properly for music, it will be set properly for movies.

90 Hz will work fine for anything you want to play on your system if you have the sub levels set properly.

If you have the subwoofer levels set 6 dB too loud, you might think it's "right" for movies (it's not) and discover that it's 6 dB too loud for music. Instead of fixing the problem, some folk think they should set the crossover lower (a round about band-aid approach that doesn't really address the issue.).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.