Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1122

Front Speakers L&R: Polk TSX330T

Center: Klipsch Quintet

Sub: Klipsch SW350

SB& SR Klipsch Quintet

So here is my concern,  The internal crossover of the Klipsch Quintet's is 110hz.  SO my receiver was crossed over at 80. So this left my sub playing below 80 and all other channels only playing 110+ Missing out on 81-109hz.

So now I went out and bought the POLK TSX330s for front and made the system 7.1  The polks play down to 30hz. Yet i cant take advantage of this because the crossover still limits them to 80hz correct?  They are set to large in calibration but i believe still limited to the internal cross over?

I considered today buying more expensive Front R&L and new center channel but if i can drive them low to use the nice 8" midbass am i really taking advantage of them? I never listen to stereo sound or music in the room only home theater.

Am i missing something with the crossover settings?  How can i blend all this together properly?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Chasing "full range speakers" isn't the solution, just set the crossovers to around or above your speakers response. For the Polks I wouldn't set lower than 50hz. For the center 130hz.

You should match center and fronts. Buying full range speakers mean you need a lot of power, plus you have the problem of multiple bass sources. The simplest is buying speakers that are at least 80hz capable, and then setting everything to 80hz. Depending on your av amp, set that to 80 or 120hz.

Since you don't use it for Hifi (where you can run speakers full range) and only for HT, where stupid amounts of bass can be sent to your mains, then following 80hz setting is recommended.

Sending full range to L/R mean your amp has to amplify those signals.

I use speakers that go down to 45hz and I wouldn't set them to full range

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So i should look into upgrading the Klipsch Quintet speakers since they only go down to 110hz internally crossed over

Another question is it worth having tower speakers if i only am using for home theater sound?

Thanks for the quick response and great detail.   

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I would try and match the front three speakers. Secondary is matching all the surround speakers. I would say yeah get a center that can reproduce a wider frequency response.

As for whether you should use standmounts or floorstanders- that's will start a long debate- even if you use a higher crossover, well a crossover isn't a brick wall, so a pair of floorstanders set to small 80hz will produce more bass than a pair of standmounts that go down to 80hz, set to 80hz.

Also a pair of £500 standmounts will be of higher quality than £500 floorstanders (but you'd need to buy speaker stands) I use floorstanders in my HT (Kef Reference) and standmounts in my hifi and PC system. No specific reason why it just worked out that way.

Oh if your av receiver has a 2 channel pure mode, then you bypass the bass mangament and your stereo speakers run full range. For 2 channel Hi-Fi this is a good thing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would also chime in that if you have a defeat on your subwoofer that you can limit it to the frequencies that are sent via LFE. If you don't have a defeat, then you can pin the sub's crossover to its highest frequency. I listen to a lot of 2 or 2.1 channel music, and a well-set up sub can add some nice fill to the more natural sounding bass coming from your fronts. Personally, I think the bass from a set of full range fronts is far superior to the notes that come from the sub. To me, my sub (12" CV) adds a "tactile" feel to the sound more than audible sound....and I'm a huge live music fan.

However, if you are only doing surround, then fatbottom's suggestion is likely best, though you do have a good amp in terms of power.

Maybe try experimenting with the crossover levels. When I had Athena AS-B2s as my fronts, they had useable bass down into the 50's (and arguably the 40's), but they sounded better with the amp xover set to 100hz. This being said, there are also other factors such as speaker placement and sub placement that will affect your sound, and will make one crossover level sound preferable to another. Plus, I am guessing your sub produces very pleasant and tight bass, but you are missing some rumble that you feel you should be getting. Possibly your fronts can help?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

http://www.klipsch.com/quintet-home-theater-system/details#specs

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:Satellite: 120Hz-23kHz

Center: 125Hz-23kHz
SENSITIVITY:Satellite: [email protected] volts/1 meter

Center: [email protected] volts/1 meter
POWER HANDLING:Satellite: 50 watts (200 watts peak)

Center: 75 watts (300 watts peak)

That's what i'm currently using for center channel and surround. I am throwing around the idea of returning my Polk towers and picking up a pair of KF-28's and 
  • KC-25 center channel which plays down to 82hz.  I really think this will offer a very blended and smooth front stage.   And from there i can go about figuring out placement ​
  •  

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I think it's best if you want to change your speakers, change them if you like them, not what frequency response they have.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Adkins  /t/1520809/crossover-settings-and-my-speakers#post_24436192

http://www.klipsch.com/quintet-home-theater-system/details#specs

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:Satellite: 120Hz-23kHz

Center: 125Hz-23kHz
SENSITIVITY:Satellite: [email protected] volts/1 meter

Center: [email protected] volts/1 meter
POWER HANDLING:Satellite: 50 watts (200 watts peak)

Center: 75 watts (300 watts peak)

That's what i'm currently using for center channel and surround. I am throwing around the idea of returning my Polk towers and picking up a pair of KF-28's and 
  • KC-25 center channel which plays down to 82hz.  I really think this will offer a very blended and smooth front stage.   And from there i can go about figuring out placement ​

•  

Get the matching center to the towers you have at the front left and right. For the polks I would recommend the Polk TSX150C or Polk TSX250C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts