AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just got a new AVR, and being a total noob with crossover settings, and after reading many, many threads on AVS (and elsewhere) about crossover settings, my head is spinning about my setup.

I'm trying to get my system setup correctly (and maybe it is?) but I'm second guessing myself, and wanted to see if I could get any direction/help/knowledge.

Here's what I have:

Receiver:
  • Sony STR-DN1040

Speakers, with frequency ranges:
  • Main L/R: Infinity Entra Two Mains - 50-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
  • Center: Infinity Entra Center - 95-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
  • Surrounds: Polk TL1 - 120Hz-22kHz (Upper -3dB Limit: 20 kHz / Lower -3dB Limit: 135 Hz)
  • Sub: Yamaha YST-SW215 - 30 to 200 Hz

Room:

approx 16" x 24"

I ran the calibration, with my sub set to full/highest setting and volume a little lower than half, and all speakers set to "SMALL". Here's what I got:

Crossover settings:
  • Main L/R: 120 Hz
  • Center: 140 Hz
  • Surrounds: 130 Hz

Levels / db
  • Main L/R: 0.0db
  • Center: -1.5db
  • Surrounds: 3.5db (r) 5.5db (l)
  • Sub: -10.0db

Do the calibrated crossover settings look about right / ok given the ranges of the speakers?

Would it be wise to adjust any of them?

I've been reading a lot about the 80Hz starting point (and 100Hz), and how many use that. With my frequency ranges, is that recommended, or should I not go below range (since center and surrounds are above 80)? I was thinking I could drop the center and mains down to 100Hz, but for the center, that pretty close to it's bottom range.

For a reference, I've been watching the 4th chapter of Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows Pt 1 BD (broomstick chase scene). It sounded quite nice, but the bass seemed a little low/not as prominent. Maybe that's a good thing that it was blended, but it just seemed lacking "oomph/punch". I'm so used to booming bass from an old Sony DE-845 receiver (that was NEVER properly setup), that could be part of the prob.

I did boost the sub up by a few db in the settings, but not sure if it made much of a difference.

I'm using this setup mostly for movies, so that's my main goal/sound to shoot for...

Any input would be appreciated, and excuse my "noobness" :)

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
80 hz is a pretty standard crossover if all your speakers are capable of hitting BELOW 80 ...your center and surrounds are not!

It is my preference to have the FR of my front stage matched...in action movies, sound will often moved from one side to the other and it can sound strange if the freq of the center cannot hold its own. I would set the front stage to 100hz, just below the freq that causes directionality of the subwoofer. Your surrounds are crossed correctly!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1524590/crossover-settings-help-new-avr#post_24538713

80 hz is a pretty standard crossover if all your speakers are capable of hitting BELOW 80 ...your center and surrounds are not!

It is my preference to have the FR of my front stage matched...in action movies, sound will often moved from one side to the other and it can sound strange if the freq of the center cannot hold its own. I would set the front stage to 100hz, just below the freq that causes directionality of the subwoofer. Your surrounds are crossed correctly!
Thanks for the input/knowledge. I set my front and center at 100hz, and kept my surrounds as-is. I bumped up the sub a tad as well...things are sounding real good! It's definitely present, and sounding balanced/tight with the rest of the audio. I'm very pleased!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
First thing that jumps out at me is your Subwoofer level at -10.0 db. I would suggest you turn the volume on the subwoofer amp down and re run the audio calibration, You want to get it close to 0.0db as possible. You could probably just raise the gain on the subwoofer through the receiver alittle but most people will suggest you re-run audio calibration

Second Your front left and rights should be crossed over at 80hz and cross the center over at 100hz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts