AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've heard that the higher the crossover, the lower the "load" on the receiver?

If this is the case, then what kind of load are we talking about?

Say if I set my Polk M60's/CS1/30's to 60 Hz from 80 Hz, would that put a considerable load on my receiver?

The reason I am asking is because when it's set to 80 Hz, I can localize the bass from the subwoofer and it becomes boomy. I tried every location in my room for the sub and it's the same thing.

So in my AVR I switched it to 60 Hz all around and now it sounds "cleaner"

I'd like to keep it this way but if it will hurt the AVR or Speakers then I'll just deal with it.

I have a Denon 1611 btw, 75 WPC

Thank you!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Uknown to me whether a reduction of xover down to 60 hz works. Speakers may sound better with a 80 hz crossover though if they are not good at handling low bass.

Experimentation seems to be your best bet, as everyone's setup is different.

·
Registered
744 Posts
it won't hurt anything...if it sounds good to you..enjoy!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Auto Setup had it at 40 Hz for FR/C/FL and 60 Hz for Surround

Now I know for a fact that the Front left and Right could handle 60 Hz but the center and surrounds, definitely can't.

With that said, I don't really notice much of a difference, except for less boominess overall.

Just wondering if leaving it at 60 Hz all around would hurt my speakers or AVR lol

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I once had my mains set to low. They were bookshelf speakers, and were distorting on some scenes with lots of low freq content (seemed like they became uncontrolled.) Turning them up to the next highest crossover made the problem go away.

I think I may have gone from 40 hz to 60 hz to fix the issue.

Just something to note, I guess. I think my bookshelf speakers may not be the norm in how they handled low bass. The company who made them gave me some explanation for why they did that, but I forget what they said

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You sure about that? I mean the Denon may have set my front stage to 40 Hz and the surrounds to 60 Hz but on paper (Polk Specs) it says that limits are 63-65 Hz with CS1/30s and 47 Hz (I believe with the M60)

I guess with 'traditional wisdom' you set the crossover 10 Hz above what your speakers can handle right?

So that would be 60 Hz for M60's

And 80 Hz for everything else?

Unless I'm missing something lol

The change is a bit dramatic though when I go from 80 Hz 60 Hz, I mean the sub starts rattling the walls when it's at 80 Hz but when it's at 60 Hz, there's a more controlled sound, it's not 'boomy' or 'hot' or w/e you may call it lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meh... I'll just leave it how it is.

My room is so problematic that it's probably pointless.

10x10x10

I'll just deal with the boominess =/

Kinda wishing I had not spend a grand on decent speakers lol probably should of just went with some 500 dollar HTiB...

Oh well, you live and you learn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts