AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever upgraded or rebuilt crossovers, maybe replaced capacitors in their old speakers? I have polk audio rt55 mains, csi400 center, and rti38 surrounds, have had them forever and would like to breath new life into them. I have pictures of the individual crossovers I can send but need some guidance as to if this upgrade is even worth it, or if a kit form the diy soundgroup will crush these polks no matter what. Also what benefits can be had by replacing crossover parts such ascapacitors and resistors, wiring?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The only parts in a crossover that go bad are capacitors most commonly the cheap electrolytics because they can dry out over time. However they normally last >10 years without much change in value. Inductors and resistors don't age and the wiring shouldn't go bad unless it was exposed to the elements. Your best option (if you want to keep the speakers) is to upgrade the non polarized electrolytic capacitors with higher quality polypropylene caps of the same value (+- 10% should be OK if you can't find an exact match). You should hear an improvement in SQ using the better capacitors.

That said yes you are correct that a DIY sound group kit will likely crush the Polks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts