AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I have 2 TSI 400's, TSx center, 2 PSW 110's, 2 polk surrounds and 2 Onkyo rears. All running on a Sony str-dn1040. I need recommendations for the crossover on all my speakers. I have them all on small and I have the subs on 80, the fronts on 80, center on 80 or 100, and the the four surrounds on 80 i think. what should they be on?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
The crossover on the amp of the Subwoofers should be set to their max amount. For your LPF or low pass filter on receiver (if it has it) for the subwoofer set that 120 hz.

Set 80hz for from fronts and center, you could try the TSi400's at 60hz if you would like, but keep center at 80hz

As for surrounds specifically what Polk Speakers and Onkyo speakers are you using for surrounds? Likely 80hz for them too is fine.

·
Premium Member
14,063 Posts
For the front L & R, 80 Hz is probably correct. However, you may be better with a higher crossover on the center and surrounds. It depends on what speakers you're using and their low frequency roll-off. Please tell us the model #'s of the CC and surrounds.

Your Sony receiver has an auto-calibration routine. It sets the crossovers based on the measured in-room response of the speakers, (according to Page 96 of your manual.) Did you run it? What did it set your crossovers to? Why do you want to change them?

Craig

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The crossover on the amp of the Subwoofers should be set to their max amount. For your LPF or low pass filter on receiver (if it has it) for the subwoofer set that 120 hz.

Set 80hz for from fronts and center, you could try the TSi400's at 60hz if you would like, but keep center at 80hz

As for surrounds specifically what Polk Speakers and Onkyo speakers are you using for surrounds? Likely 80hz for them too is fine.
The surrounds are TSi 100's and the Onkyo rears I am not sure of the model number.

I will try the other setting for the speakers...surrounds at 100? thx.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran it several years when I first bought it. do not remember the settings. have never used it since. here is the current settings.

awesome explanations. thx for all the feedback. here is a little more information.

ok. the model number for the surrounds are TSi 100's. The Onkyo rears I honestly do not know off hand.

I am setting the crossover for the speakers and the sub from the AVR. I have the subs at 80. I was told on another site to put them on 120. so i am a little confused on what I should put them on and why?

I initially did the audyssey set up when I first bought the AVR but I do not remember the settings it gave me. since then I have put the fronts on 80 and the levels at +8.0. center at 80 and level at +8.5. the surrounds at 80 and levels at +9.5. same for the rears. the subs are at 80 and level at +6.0. Ideas?

All the crossovers are set in the AVR.

Here is a pic of subs location.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,063 Posts
I ran it several years when I first bought it. do not remember the settings. have never used it since. here is the current settings.

awesome explanations. thx for all the feedback. here is a little more information.

ok. the model number for the surrounds are TSi 100's. The Onkyo rears I honestly do not know off hand.

I am setting the crossover for the speakers and the sub from the AVR. I have the subs at 80. I was told on another site to put them on 120. so i am a little confused on what I should put them on and why?

I initially did the audyssey set up when I first bought the AVR but I do not remember the settings it gave me. since then I have put the fronts on 80 and the levels at +8.0. center at 80 and level at +8.5. the surrounds at 80 and levels at +9.5. same for the rears. the subs are at 80 and level at +6.0. Ideas?

All the crossovers are set in the AVR.

Here is a pic of subs location.
Sony doesn't use Audyssey. They don't use any kind of Room Correction in your receiver. They only use auto-calibration, (which is just setting the levels, distances and speaker size/crossovers.) If you still have the mic, you should re-run the auto-cal routine and let it set the crossovers, as well as all the other settings. Afterwards, come back a let us know what the settings are, and we can help you decide if they're appropriate, or if they might be optimized with some tweaking.

Craig

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
The surrounds are TSi 100's and the Onkyo rears I am not sure of the model number.

I will try the other setting for the speakers...surrounds at 100? thx.
80hz crossover would work for the Polk TSi100's I had the Monitor 30's at 80hz crossover before and they worked great at 80hz.

The Subwoofer should be set to 120hz. By setting it to 80hz you are cutting off the LFE channel from 80-120hz. We are telling you that for good reason here.

@craig john - Sony does have room calibration software on its receiver. Look at the manual it sets the levels and distances minimumly as well as *speaker size* i believe.

·
Premium Member
14,063 Posts
80hz crossover would work for the Polk TSi100's I had the Monitor 30's at 80hz crossover before and they worked great at 80hz.

The Subwoofer should be set to 120hz. By setting it to 80hz you are cutting off the LFE channel from 80-120hz. We are telling you that for good reason here.

@craig john - Sony does have room calibration software on its receiver. Look at the manual it sets the levels and distances minimumly as well as crossovers i believe.
Please re-read post #10 .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.