AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know this already but I have been researching HDTV and HTPC in confluence in upgrading my Home Theater System. I had settled on a 36XS955 as my TV with a Haupaguage MCE 500 Dual Tuner Card. The thing is that with the XS955 a premium is being paid over other Sony 36" TVS in order to have In TV tuning.

But now that I have seen the ATI offering I'm rethinking the idea of going with this TV and Tuner Card. Bascially I should be able to get a HDTV monitor and hope someone comes out with a dual tuner HDTV Card that will do analog as well in the near future.

Is this a good idea?

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
If you're asking whether you should get a TV without a tuner, I'd say yes.

There alreadly are HD Tuner cards--MyHD, Fusion, A180. Two of them have drivers that work with dual tuners, and SageTV's beta works with those two cards (although I'm uncertain whether the dual tuner works with Sage yet)

The other alternative would be an HD DVR.

TV tuners are next to useless IMHO.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk
If you're asking whether you should get a TV without a tuner, I'd say yes.

There alreadly are HD Tuner cards--MyHD, Fusion, A180. Two of them have drivers that work with dual tuners, and SageTV's beta works with those two cards (although I'm uncertain whether the dual tuner works with Sage yet)

The other alternative would be an HD DVR.

Food for thought.

I'll have to start tv shipping again :(

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. If something changes & the HTPC is taken out of the equation, having a tv with ATSC tuner(s) built-in would be very helpful. Not all of us subscribe to expensive & crappy sat. services. I also know a number of people who don't even subscribe to cable. Those are the ones who can pull in all the local stations for free using their ATSC tuner. A number of people are arguing that having ATSC inclusive will be better off for that time down the road when one wants to sell their tv. We are getting very close to the point of all HDTV's having ATSC tuner(s) built-in, which would make one w/out the tuner seem much less attractive.

Some of my local OTA stations are not carried by the Comcast, so I use the tuner for those. Also, if Comcast is having glitches, I can always revert to the OTA. Having dual ATSC tuners & cablecard has been a fantastic experience for me so far.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a TV with no tuner and an HDTV tuner card (OTA only) in the PC.

Sometimes I really wish I could do something on the PC while watching TV, but doing almost anything on the PC makes the TV skip and stutter. Having a tuner built into the TV would be a nice option.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy
I couldn't disagree more. If something changes & the HTPC is taken out of the equation, having a tv with ATSC tuner(s) built-in would be very helpful. Not all of us subscribe to expensive & crappy sat. services. I also know a number of people who don't even subscribe to cable. Those are the ones who can pull in all the local stations for free using their ATSC tuner. A number of people are arguing that having ATSC inclusive will be better off for that time down the road when one wants to sell their tv. We are getting very close to the point of all HDTV's having ATSC tuner(s) built-in, which would make one w/out the tuner seem much less attractive..
What about a DVR? I can't imagine a TV without a DVR. Regardless of how you receive your TV signal (cable, sat., or OTA), a DVR would make the tuner useless.

Of course, you could try to find a TV with a DVR built in, but I wouldn't care for such a thing myself.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by preiter
I have a TV with no tuner and an HDTV tuner card (OTA only) in the PC.

Sometimes I really wish I could do something on the PC while watching TV, but doing almost anything on the PC makes the TV skip and stutter. Having a tuner built into the TV would be a nice option.

Should have bought a MYHD card. :)

peace

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:
Should have bought a MYHD card.
Yes, that's the best part of the MyHD card. I can do a lot of stuff on the computer and my wife can keep watching tv like it's nothing! Amazing! Not that it's perfect, but this works pretty good!

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. If something changes & the HTPC is taken out of the equation, having a tv with ATSC tuner(s) built-in would be very helpful. Not all of us subscribe to expensive & crappy sat. services. I also know a number of people who don't even subscribe to cable. Those are the ones who can pull in all the local stations for free using their ATSC tuner. A number of people are arguing that having ATSC inclusive will be better off for that time down the road when one wants to sell their tv. We are getting very close to the point of all HDTV's having ATSC tuner(s) built-in, which would make one w/out the tuner seem much less attractive.

Some of my local OTA stations are not carried by the Comcast, so I use the tuner for those. Also, if Comcast is having glitches, I can always revert to the OTA. Having dual ATSC tuners & cablecard has been a fantastic experience for me so far.
I agree also. I have a HDTV with dual tuners (OTA and Cable w/CableCard) in addition to three computer HD cards plus a STB connected to D-VHS recorder. I often find I'm using the computers to timeshift OTA programs while I'm watching a movie on HBO-HD.

Ummm...I really do need to get a life!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
What about a DVR? I can't imagine a TV without a DVR. Regardless of how you receive your TV signal (cable, sat., or OTA), a DVR would make the tuner useless.

Of course, you could try to find a TV with a DVR built in, but I wouldn't care for such a thing myself.
I'm obviously in the minority. If I ever feel the need to record something, I'll record it onto my PC. I have no DVR, Tivo, VCR, DVD recorder, etc. I have yet to find anything worthwhile to record, especially since the majority of the garbage gets re-aired at a later date anyway.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
I'm obviously in the minority. If I ever feel the need to record something, I'll record it onto my PC. I have no DVR, Tivo, VCR, DVD recorder, etc. I have yet to find anything worthwhile to record, especially since the majority of the garbage gets re-aired at a later date anyway.
Well this is just the point for me...

Why own;

A CD Player

DVD Player

Tivo

HDTV Tuner

When you can put all the functionality into one package?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
DVR, HTPC, whatever. The point is not to watch live TV, with commercials and all. Doing that a tuner in a TV is useless.

I don't record to keep things. I record to watch things. About the only thing I watch live is the 5:00 news, and if I got home later I'd record that too.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
From another angle, (I've serviced electronics for 33 years) the cost to repair a CableCard tuner can be $1000 and could require the old one be sent to the Factory first (long delay). Tuners are a common failure item from storms and quality control problems (they are usually outsourced to a vendor after the initial design checks out). The technology is licensed and actual field repair is basically forbidden or impossible. I can rebuild my PCs a few times or buy several set-top-boxes for the price of a single repair.

Repair cost and installation cost should drop in the future but right now I don't think a (limited function - one way - OTA and cable only) internal tuner is a good buy. The Satellite people were furious that they were omitted from the CableCard discussions with the Manufacturers. They felt that the Digital Tuner technology could have been applied to Satellite reception too, so that option could appear in a few years also.

Personally, I hate commercials and edit everything for viewing. (2 NTSC, one ATSC, PC based PVR's)

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnal
I had settled on a 36XS955 as my TV with a Haupaguage MCE 500 Dual Tuner Card. The thing is that with the XS955 a premium is being paid over other Sony 36" TVS in order to have In TV tuning.

But now that I have seen the ATI offering I'm rethinking the idea of going with this TV and Tuner Card. Bascially I should be able to get a HDTV monitor and hope someone comes out with a dual tuner HDTV Card that will do analog as well in the near future.

Is this a good idea?

What are your thoughts?
Hi,

To me the wisdom of going with an HDTV monitor without a tuner has little to do with upcoming HTPC tuner cards.

The fact is that every year companies are coming out with new an improved HD tuners. Some get better reception than prior generations. Others have new and improved features, i.e. HD DVRs, etc. Why pay extra money for a built-in HD tuner, when it's quite likely there will be some new HD gadget being released that does a better job than the one frozen in time inside your HDTV?

One of those HD gadgets might be an HTPC with the latest dual HD tuner card, but the logic to avoid built-in tuners applies regardless of which device you intend to use to receive your HD signals.

Larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.