AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know this already but I have been researching HDTV and HTPC in confluence in upgrading my Home Theater System. I had settled on a 36XS955 as my TV with a Haupaguage MCE 500 Dual Tuner Card. The thing is that with the XS955 a premium is being paid over other Sony 36" TVS in order to have In TV tuning.

But now that I have seen the ATI offering I'm rethinking the idea of going with this TV and Tuner Card. Bascially I should be able to get a HDTV monitor and hope someone comes out with a dual tuner HDTV Card that will do analog as well in the near future.

Is this a good idea?

What are your thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnal
Some of you know this already but I have been researching HDTV and HTPC in confluence in upgrading my Home Theater System. I had settled on a 36XS955 as my TV with a Haupaguage MCE 500 Dual Tuner Card. The thing is that with the XS955 a premium is being paid over other Sony 36" TVS in order to have In TV tuning.

But now that I have seen the ATI offering I'm rethinking the idea of going with this TV and Tuner Card. Bascially I should be able to get a HDTV monitor and hope someone comes out with a dual tuner HDTV Card that will do analog as well in the near future.

Is this a good idea?

What are your thoughts?
In my mind, the greatest benefit of the 36XS955 is the super fine pitch tube, not the built-in tuner. As long as these XS/XBR sets are available I have to believe they make the best small room/HTPC tvs today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
In my mind, the greatest benefit of the 36XS955 is the super fine pitch tube, not the built-in tuner. As long as these XS/XBR sets are available I have to believe they make the best small room/HTPC tvs today.
So is there a 36" sony set without a tuner and with the super fine pitch tube?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnal
So is there a 36" sony set without a tuner and with the super fine pitch tube?
I don't believe so.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnal
So is there a 36" sony set without a tuner and with the super fine pitch tube?
No. The 36XS955 is the only one with a SFPT and will soon be discontinued if it's not already. There will be no more once this model is gone.


I'd say 99.9% of all TV buyers in the US are NOT using an HTPC setup in the first place so for those who want a built-in ATSC tuner built into their TVs it's certainly not a waste of money. Only you can decide if it's a waste of money for your particular setup though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,296 Posts
understand you will need a pretty fast PC to decode HDTV and a pretty fast video card depending on your software being used


windows media center edition wants a nvidia 6600/ 6600 GT or from ATI a 9800 Pro or better video cards


I have a sony super fine pitch TV, and I use its ATSC tuner as much as I use my PC with my Fusion HDTV 5 Lite

I simply use my TV's ATSC tuner for casual viewing, and only use the Fusion to record Over the Air HD, that I watch later

if you do get a HDTV card, do not get the ATI HD Blunder


and if you do not have a fast PC, then you can get HDTV cards with hardware decoders

also you should consider how the PC will loook beside your TV, or whether you plan to use long expensive cabling, or buy an home theater type Pc case
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
understand you will need a pretty fast PC to decode HDTV and a pretty fast video card depending on your software being used


windows media center edition wants a nvidia 6600/ 6600 GT or from ATI a 9800 Pro or better video cards


I have a sony super fine pitch TV, and I use its ATSC tuner as much as I use my PC with my Fusion HDTV 5 Lite

I simply use my TV's ATSC tuner for casual viewing, and only use the Fusion to record Over the Air HD, that I watch later

if you do get a HDTV card, do not get the ATI HD Blunder


and if you do not have a fast PC, then you can get HDTV cards with hardware decoders

also you should consider how the PC will loook beside your TV, or whether you plan to use long expensive cabling, or buy an home theater type Pc case
You should post pictures of your set-up. It sounds very interesting.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top