AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! Only $17.99 as posted in today's ad in the L.A Times.

I wonder how far in advance they make up the newspaper ads for Fry's. Think it's worth a shot to go there and they might allow me to substitute another Blu-ray title for never released "Crouching Tiger..." ?

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot /forum/post/0

Wow! Only $17.99 as posted in today's ad in the L.A Times.

I wonder how far in advance they make up the newspaper ads for Fry's. Think it's worth a shot to go there and they might allow me to substitute another Blu-ray title for never released "Crouching Tiger..." ?

Has it even been released yet? I don't see it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
That's the presale price, but it looks like it should be the price for next week as well since they pre-sold the HD-DVD for Clerks II at $14.99 and have it for sale that cheap today.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy288 /forum/post/0

Hmmm. I didn't see it on Amazon's preorder list.

It's not on any of the release lists I've seen either, but if you search for it on outpost.com, it comes up as a pre-sale, and at $19.99.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/507...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Interesting. The Outpost page says it's release date is 1/16/07.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

Thanks to the last 2 posters. Your opinions have really added a lot to this thread.
to funny, I agree. Funny thing is when I was a dept sales manager of the video dept at Best Buy we had a huge surge of dvd player sales when CTHD was released. I kept seeing people comming over to the DVD player section and wanting thier first dvd player and they would have a copy of CTHD in thier hands I started asking the people about thier purchase and they were all saying that the movie was so good it prompted them to purchase thier first dvd player. I was shocked, I never seen the movie and never wanted to see it. After watching it now I know why they did indeed spend the large amounts of money suddenly. I have to admit, you should watch it with subtiles on and with audio being in asian dialect, with english dubbing it really looses it's punch.

·
Registered
457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiew /forum/post/0

Just my opinion , but I thought this movie was terrible. I would rather watch paint dry.

I love it when someone bashes a critically acclaimed film. It reveals a lot more about the "thread-farter" (effin' hilarious moniker, I might add) than the film itself.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
i just hope they dont butcher this movie like they have most of thier titles,,,,

·
Registered
241 Posts
i have the sd dvd and love it.

why does everyone say sony has butchered the asian movies? i bought house of flying daggers this weekend and short of a couple scenes, most of the movie has great PQ in my book. cant wait to add this and Hero (jet Li) to my collection.

thanks

anthony

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not to continue the thread farting here but I find this too amusing not to share...

Ang Lee went to school at the University of Illinois, where I am currently enrolled. My Hong Kong film professor evidently got to know Mr. Lee, and can't say enough good things about him as a person or a filmmaker. That said...we were discussing King Hu's Touch of Zen the other day, which Crouching Tiger riffs on left and right and my professor chimes in, "So now you know, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the only bad film Ang Lee ever made. Well, maybe the Hulk too."

Now, I rarely agree with this professor's tastes and actually do somewhat appreciate Crouching Tiger, but I do think it's true that the more Wu Xia films you've seen, the less Crouching Tiger really stands out as the masterpiece everybody in the West seems to think of it as.

Quote:
97% of critics liked the movie.

U.S. critics. HK and Chinese critics eviscerated the thing, but they don't matter, right

It's a visually beautiful movie though, and should make for a great Blu-ray disc!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.