AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get some amps to power a 7.2 system in a small room (12x20), 90% dedicated to movie watching. Read as much of the 135 page post on the Crown amps, sound liek a pretty good deal, and I love good deals.

Are there any haters out there, I saw nothing but love in that thread, with the current rebate, it makes those amps just under 1k to power my setup.

Please don't turn this into a flame war, I'm just looking for some opinions, no back and forth bashing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got three, two 402's and 1 202. does a great job in my theater. only thing is the fans are pretty loud so they will either need to go in another room or do a fan mod on them (void warrenty).

That being said I've had no trouble using mine with the fans CUT for almost two years now. And yes they do get heavy use. (not recomending this just letting you know my experiance)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
The fan noise issue is what dissuades people, hence the fan modding, then they are

happy again. They must have hated the amp to justify doing mods to it :hehe: :harr:

Driving 8 ohm ordinary HT speakers is an easy load for a proamp, even the entry level

Crown XLS amps can do it well.

DIY subwoofer builders had better success moving from XLS to a higher grade of proamp

to drive their woofers better.

Here's version A of that amp;
http://home.pacbell.net/lordpk/proam...n_XLS-402A.jpg

Now Crown is on version D. It looks like they did some internal upgrading.
http://home.pacbell.net/lordpk/proam...n_XLS-402D.jpg

Looks like they have better heatsinking on the power transistors. Maybe a bigger

transformer than version A? [rumors: version A, B and C are practically the same].

They added some form of variable speed fan, some said it was two speed. This is

better than previous version that ran the fans at high speed all the time.

If you want XLS, get version D's as they are nicer in design. If you were going to

drive low impedance loudspeakers, ie 2 ohms per speaker, then I would upgrade to

a different amplifier line.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn29 /forum/post/0

Looking to get some amps to power a 7.2 system in a small room (12x20), 90% dedicated to movie watching. Read as much of the 135 page post on the Crown amps, sound liek a pretty good deal, and I love good deals.

Are there any haters out there, I saw nothing but love in that thread, with the current rebate, it makes those amps just under 1k to power my setup.

Please don't turn this into a flame war, I'm just looking for some opinions, no back and forth bashing.

Read this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=418666

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I did check out that thread, that's what got me interested. Trouble is, it is 135 pages long, spent about an hour and a half in it and never saw one negative comment, other than the fan noise.

I'm down with the fan mod if need be, that's no problem. I'm just waiting to hear back from Crown, if the honor the current rebate which is set to expire on Thursday, then I am going to place an order. 79 views on this thread so far and no negative comments, and yeah I would order the "d" versions.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There are a couple of -'ve comments in that huge thread. Someone said it was grainy (shrug). I decided to buy one and compare it to my Bryston 7B ST amps. I figured I could sell it to close to what I payed after the rebate offer was over, but I sold the Brystons instead.

The Crown's can't play as loud as the Bryston without getting a little harsh sounding. At reasonable volume's though, the Crown sounds night and day better. However most of this can be attributed to the fact that I'm not using any preamp with the Crowns, but instead using the gain controls on the front to control the volume.

Turns out that even my passive pre amp degrades the sound...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
QSC is the greatest amplifier brand ever!!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The thing I dont like about the crown xls stuff is that tiny little transformer ( and it not torodial ) ..when I had mine I opened it and saw this, kinda laughed and wondered " wheres the beef"

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0

The thing I dont like about the crown xls stuff is that tiny little transformer ( and it not torodial ) ..when I had mine I opened it and saw this, kinda laughed and wondered " wheres the beef"

The new Crowns work on a different kind of power supply that don't require large heavy transformers. I have the XTI-2000 amp and just love it. It has a variable speed fan so fan noise is not a problem. The amp pumps out 475 watts into 8 ohms, and is extremely clean. I'll tell you compared to my Onkyo M504 power amp my new Crown XTI-2000 amp simply reproduces music with the kind of muscle one associates with a live performance. I get much tighter, deep, dry bass. To be honest the top end seems a little more sterile, but hardly what I would call harsh. Maybe a better word would be analytical. All in all I see no reason to look at a very expensive consumer amp again. I was very skeptical before I bought this amp myself, and I posted on many boards before buying. I have listened to live music for many years. My brother was a jazz guitarist for 35 years. His very good friend Gene Palumbo went on to arrange, and conduct for Judy Garland for a couple years before her death. I believe I have a well trained ear, and what it hears is very neutral reproduction. I'm sure a lot of these $5000.00 amps are excellent and produce better specs, but to tell you the truth after hearing Krell, Threshold, and some H/K Citations over the years, this Crown stacks right up there with the best of them. Even the fan which I thought was going to be the big issue has not come on once that I can tell. I'm sure under laboratory listening conditions, these high end consumer amps may reveal more detail, but I listen in my living-room. So far I feel like I stole this amp for $699.00. I'll never run out of headroom at 475 watts per channel, and it will probably outlast most consumer amps. In the past I personally owned a Phase Linear 400 series 2, H/K Citation 16, and an Onkyo M504. Each amp failed for one reason or another within a 8 years span. I know non of these where ultra high end, but they represented a good buy in their day, and were not exactly cheap. The only component I have from the very early 70's that has continued to perform with no maintenance at all is my Crown IC-150 pre-amp. If I get half the life out of this amp I should be in an old folks home by then. I'm not trying to sway anyone here, just presenting the facts as I see them. Pro amps are every bit as good as the high end consumer amps. The only difference is there priced right! One more thing this amp's signal to noise ratio is excellent. Dead quite between tracks. Look into the XTI series you'll love them. If it means anything to you, the XTI's on up the line are all built here in Indiana on the Crown assembly lines.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:

The thing I dont like about the crown xls stuff is that tiny little transformer ( and it not torodial )

So what?

Toroidal isn't necessary to make a good amp (although I'm almost positive I saw the inside of an XLS and it was a toroid) and I've never seen anyone make the accusation that the amps don't live up to their output specs.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:

What series crown is that in the picture ? ..I remember the XLS series I had didnt look like that ( a few years back )

I also had the XS series and that picture looks more like that.

According to the picture it's a xls 402. I can't verify this as I have an XTI.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Post #3 shows the 402A and the 402D...

·
Banned
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jynx /forum/post/0

I've got three, two 402's and 1 202. does a great job in my theater. only thing is the fans are pretty loud so they will either need to go in another room or do a fan mod on them (void warrenty).

That being said I've had no trouble using mine with the fans CUT for almost two years now. And yes they do get heavy use. (not recomending this just letting you know my experiance)

One of my 602's crapped out & Crown still fixed it after being modded. Now I did remove the resistor but I did still have different fans in it. They didn't complain or ask any questions. The only thing they did was note it on the service ticket that they had been changed by owner.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have used Crown as a pro amp and on consumer gear and , while I find them to be a great amp, as pro amps go, I kept relegating them to sub use for the home side (DIY subs I had) as I didn't think they stood up well against the moderate consumer grade amps I have access to when used for full range duty. I also note that many people I know from the pro side of the business who are afficianados of great audio at home as well also use consumer grade amps in their set-ups despite having access to free or amazingly good deals on pro gear. I would say though , that being an advocate for "you can never have too much power" and given their price, they are a decent choice for many, especially for HT use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went ahead and ordered some today. Ordered 4 402D's and 1 202D. Next up, I need to order some new speakers, man, the wife sure isn't going to be happy about this, we may have had some informal arrangement that she gets some new diamond earrings before I bought any more gear.

Crown would not make any promises on the rebate bu said that "as long as you purchase them by the 31st, you should be eligible", even if the receive it after the deadlines they will put it through for the rebate.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonytheater /forum/post/0

One of my 602's crapped out & Crown still fixed it after being modded. Now I did remove the resistor but I did still have different fans in it. They didn't complain or ask any questions. The only thing they did was note it on the service ticket that they had been changed by owner.

Same with me. I physically disabled the fan (snipping a wire will do that). A few weeks later the left channel died. I thought I was screwed but figured it couldn't hurt to see if they'd fix it. They did with no questions asked.

It has been running great ever since, though it will go into a protect mode if I play it at very high levels (I think this is probably because it gets hot because it doesn't have any fans). This only occurs at absurd levels though

Mine is an XLS-402

·
Premium Member
7,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude /forum/post/0

I have used Crown as a pro amp and on consumer gear and , while I find them to be a great amp, as pro amps go, I kept relegating them to sub use for the home side (DIY subs I had) as I didn't think they stood up well against the moderate consumer grade amps I have access to when used for full range duty. I also note that many people I know from the pro side of the business who are afficianados of great audio at home as well also use consumer grade amps in their set-ups despite having access to free or amazingly good deals on pro gear. I would say though , that being an advocate for "you can never have too much power" and given their price, they are a decent choice for many, especially for HT use.

Did you do comparative auditions to the moderate consumer grade amps you no doubt sell? Were these auditions blind?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.