AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me how to hook up a Crown VFX2A in mono mode and crossover to three channels for tri-amplification? I have two of them for that purpose, but don't have a clue as to how to hook them up in that configuration. Your help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Have you checked the Crown website for instructions/op's manual?

Check the discontinued product "line level" section of the support area.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
To put a Crown in mono bridge should be explained in the manual. My XLS 402 requires a custom Y cable that inverts the signal to channel 2 from channel 1 so you are actually feeding only the left or right channel from the Pre/Pro to the amp. You then connect both + output terminals to your speakers + and - posts. Some amps might have a mono bridge/stereo switch which would probably invert channel 2 electronically, but I am sort of guessing at that.

Now why are you going to run 3 amps in a tri amp configuration all bridged? Do you only want to listen or have one channel? Also, are you going to be playing this stuff really loud? Pro's use tri amp setups for power puposes. It can give you tremendous output since the lows, mids, and highs are running off of seprate amps. The high are normally horns since a tweeter or even a bank of tweeters would blow trying to keep up with the mids and lows. We some times tried to use Pizoe which are like mini horns, but we always blew them.

What you would need is an active x-over that is feeding to the amps and have drivers without passive x-overs in them. IOW, if you are thinking of using consumer speakers, it isn't going to work. You can use passive x-overs also and forgo the active x-over, but there will be a power loss and that is the whole point of tri amp. You would set the active x-over according to your speaker specs. It is also a good idea to use audio spectrum anylizer when you do this. It has also been mentioned in this forum that stripping out passives and using an active, even if they are set to have identical peaks and slopes can change the quality of the sound.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
The thing the OP asked about IS an active crossover.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/0

The thing the OP asked about IS an active crossover.

And I did explain how that works, no?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Well, it seemed your post was all about how to configure power amps to run in bridged mono, the ins and outs of biamping, and the differences between active and passive biamping. It didn't seem to be about how to specifically configure the piece of equipment the OP inquired about.

Further, you recommended the OP would need an active crossover to really make it work right.

I merely said the OP already has the active crossover...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/0

Well, it seemed your post was all about how to configure power amps to run in bridged mono, the ins and outs of biamping, and the differences between active and passive biamping. It didn't seem to be about how to specifically configure the piece of equipment the OP inquired about.

Further, you recommended the OP would need an active crossover to really make it work right.

I merely said the OP already has the active crossover...

You're right. I just misread what he was asking.

To the OP, you can't triamp with two amps, you need three. You would also need to configure the jumper cables on the active x-over if it is a stereo biamp to be in mono triamp. You can bi amp with two which is fine for a home application. Like I said before, triampping is for major output.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Let me be a little more specific...

I want to use two of the Crown VFX2A crossovers to run my JBL Paragon with three Crown PS200 power amplifiers. The crossover points are 500 and 7000 hz. I'll use one of the crossovers for each channel. The VFX2A is supposed to be able to do a 3 way crossover. I don't have a manual. The latest manual that I can find on Crown site or anywhere on the internet is for the VFX2. This model is not set up for 3 way crossover application. So, you see my dilema. I need to find someone who has a VFX2A manual or knows how to set it up. The information printed on the front and back panel is not at all intuitive regarding 3 way mono application. I certainly appreciate anything any of you can do in advising me.

Reactions: surlyogre

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreida /forum/post/0

I want to use two of the Crown VFX2A crossovers to run my JBL Paragon with three Crown PS200 power amplifiers. The crossover points are 500 and 7000 hz. I'll use one of the crossovers for each channel. The VFX2A is supposed to be able to do a 3 way crossover. I don't have a manual. The latest manual that I can find on Crown site or anywhere on the internet is for the VFX2. This model is not set up for 3 way crossover application. So, you see my dilema. I need to find someone who has a VFX2A manual or knows how to set it up. The information printed on the front and back panel is not at all intuitive regarding 3 way mono application. I certainly appreciate anything any of you can do in advising me.

Ask Crown support, or join the Crown forum.

I found connection information in the VFX2 manual that shows a connection for tri-amping... Page 9 (as printed on the manual, page 11 in the PDF), figure 2-2, example 3, "Triamplication 1 channel system".

Perhaps it's not clear to me why this isn't what you're looking for, unless the VFX2A is significantly different?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:

If the input/output configuration on the VFX2 is the same as the VFX2A, you can use the same info for the tri amp configuration.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The diagram is very helpful. However, the model that I have with the "A" designation has two additional inputs that have joined lines between them and the two stereo channels. They are doing something different with this configuration. That's why I need to find out what they are doing with this particular model.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Surely there is someone out there that owns one of these Crown VFX2A crossovers. Please let me know what the owner's manual says regarding triamplification and the two inputs/outputs that are special to that unit. Thanks!

Reactions: surlyogre

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:

Surely there is someone out there that owns one of these Crown VFX2A crossovers. Please let me know what the owner's manual says regarding triamplification and the two inputs/outputs that are special to that unit. Thanks!

Have you gone onto the Crown support forum, or called/e-mailed their tech support line??

Straight from the proverbial horse's mouth is always best if possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this thread and I have the same situation. two vfx 2a's , three Crown 300A's and Linn Isobarik's.The only manual available online from Crown is for the VFX 2. One of my cross-overs has to go to the repair shop and I need values for the internal components. I'd really appreciate a copy if you can help me out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.