AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just hooked up my XLS 2502 to my 2 UM18-22 sealed subs.

First run of a few test things and could barely hear/feel the bass.

Ran audyssey on the Marantz 7705 and I had to turn the gain all the way max minus 1 or 2 clicks to hit the 75 db mark.

It's hooked up RCA -> XLR from Marantz then Speakon to Speakon to the Subs.

I have it in Stereo mode with no crossover set. Tried sensitivity at both settings.

After Audyssey its ok but not feelin it so far. Plus I have the gains maxed out and with the volume on the Marantz ear piercing while playing bass testy stuff it's not knocking my socks off. And the meter never comes close to tripping (red) not that I want it to.

What gives? Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
It's hooked up RCA -> Speakon from Marantz then Speakon to Speakon to the Subs.
RCA from the Marantz to Speakon on the Crown? You connected a line level output from the Marantz to a speaker output on the Crown. I’m surprised you didn’t blow something up.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
There is no reason to use XLRs on the Crown when it has RCA inputs. Maybe someone else more qualified can comment, but I think RCA -> XLR ends up cutting the output voltage in half. If so that would explain why you don’t have enough signal strength to drive the amp.

BTW, the goal is simply to get the subs driven as loud as you want them to, not see the Crown clipping. If the amp clips, you need a more powerful amp.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no reason to use XLRs on the Crown when it has RCA inputs. Maybe someone else more qualified can comment, but I think RCA -> XLR ends up cutting the output voltage in half. If so that would explain why you don’t have enough signal strength to drive the amp.

BTW, the goal is simply to get the subs driven as loud as you want them to, not see the Crown clipping. If the amp clips, you need a more powerful amp.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Yeah I have no intention of clipping it....but with the current setup it seems impossible!

I'll try RCA to RCA and see what happens.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Switching to RCA inputs ought to double the gain of the amp.

It's fairly common for people to boost the volume setting of the sub(s) by 3 or 6 dB over those set by Audyssey. (The common phrase is running the subs "hotter".) It may make the sound less accurate, but some prefer more bass.

If you have a UHD BD player, try Blade Runner 2049. That has an insane amount of bass.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Switching to RCA inputs ought to double the gain of the amp.

It's fairly common for people to boost the volume setting of the sub(s) by 3 or 6 dB over those set by Audyssey. (The common phrase is running the subs "hotter".) It may make the sound less accurate, but some prefer more bass.

If you have a UHD BD player, try Blade Runner 2049. That has an insane amount of bass.

Yeah i tweaked the settings after audyssey a bit. I have this set up in a unfinished basement right now just testing that things are working....so not expecting fantastic results. Just was concerning that the audyssey mic could barley pick up the signal from about 8 feet away. Gonna go swap cables now.

Would XLR to XLR be good/better than RCA to RCA?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Yeah i tweaked the settings after audyssey a bit. I have this set up in a unfinished basement right now just testing that things are working....so not expecting fantastic results. Just was concerning that the audyssey mic could barley pick up the signal from about 8 feet away. Gonna go swap cables now.

Would XLR to XLR be good/better than RCA to RCA?
I doubt that it would make a significant difference. I have never used XLR, but I see two advantages for it: less noise pickup for long cable runs (which you probably don't need), and locking connectors (also unimportant to most of us). RCA to XLR may be the worst of both worlds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
...Would XLR to XLR be good/better than RCA to RCA?

It's quieter and preferable, always prefer XLR when you have XLR inputs + outputs. Second best is to use RCA - RCA, third XLR - RCA.

Be careful with putting the 2502 on max, judging from the 1502 I have there's lots of power. I can't help with Audyssey (no experience), just know the problem is somewhere else because the amp is capable of more dB's than any of us can handle.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's quieter and preferable, always prefer XLR when you have XLR inputs + outputs. Second best is to use RCA - RCA, third XLR - RCA.

Be careful with putting the 2502 on max, judging from the 1502 I have there's lots of power. I can't help with Audyssey (no experience), just know the problem is somewhere else because the amp is capable of more dB's than any of us can handle.

Well i'm going RCA to RCA now and it's a lot better, Still dont think it's "too much" power. Even after calibrated, bumping up the setting on the AVR I can still max out the gain comfortably when playing heavy bass content at reference. I know these UM18-22s show they can handle 1000 watts RMS, using dual 2ohm coils = 4 ohm right? The Crown puts out 775w x2 at 4 ohm so the sub shouldn't be overworked ever in this scenario?

I have the Marantz sending both sub channels separately to both inputs separately on the crown then running in stereo mode....is that right?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Another thought....if I add a MiniDSP 2x4 HD into the equation then I'm locked into RCA correct?

Would it go Marantz RCA to Minidsp in then MiniDSP RCA out to RCA Crown in

1 - 14 of 14 Posts