AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little tired of the fan noise coming from my four XLS-802'S that are about ten feet away from my listening position. This is gonna sound a little half ass but it worked so well that the fan noise is almost non-existent. My amps are stacked four high on shelves that are not enclosed in any way. The back of the amps and the tv have a wall directly behind them less than 12" away. I noticed that most of the fan noise was coming from the rear of the amps reflecting off the wall behind them. Using the same concept of acoustical treatments that absorb sound at the reflection points in your room for your speakers I appied this to "deaden" the reflection off the wall from the fans. I used a quadruple layer of (either wool or felt I'm not sure, I got it free from work, all I know is that it absorbs sound) and put it against the wall behind the amps directly behind the fans. This eliminated about 25% of the fan noise. Now, the half ass part........using the same material I made sort of a half tent-like enclosure to bottle up the noise but still letting the fans discharge air to cool the amps. Now, a total of about 60% of the noise is eliminated but there is still the noise coming out the front through the open "grates". Now it gets a little cheezy but effective............I took 2" wide clear transparent tape and covered the "grates" completely. Yeah, I know. So I poked holes in approx. 1/3 of the holes to still allow some air flow. The tape is a little shiny but not too bad. The only fan noise I hear is when they kick on high and that is nothing!!!! The fabric I used is black so it's not even visible behind my gear.The only tool needed was a razor knife to cut the fabric and the tape. The whole thing took five minutes. No fan replacement. No resistors to install. No heat sensor devices to install. I pushed the amps real hard to test for overheating and no problems at all. It doesn't look as bad as you might think. All I can suggest is to try it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've got my 402's virtually silent with a fan swap. I was going to put some accoustic panels on the wall behind my ft speakers and rack, similar to what you've done. I'll have to pass on the other "treatments"
. How do you like the way the amp performs?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm very happy with their performance with my Klipsch speakers. The only thing that was bothersome was the fan noise but now that's not an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.