AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Crowson TES100 users that can compare their performance to Buttkicker or regular shakers.

Im reading they have actual audible speakers in them.?

They are quicker responding ?

but..

They are less "Impact" than others ?

Also mounting options ?

I read they use the floor to Push against so they need to be UNDER the chair or platform ??

I wanted to mount inside a chair.. and have subtle but accurate Low hz response, with a feel that puts you in the scene, rather than just vibrate.

NO Stores in Ottawa at all that carry anything.. this will have to be a on line purchase for my 2 rows of seats.. 5 total.

Any users out there that can comment ?

They cost more.. are they a "different feel" compared to shakers ?

Or is this a bit over hyped ? as a different league transducer ?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody ??

·
Premium Member
14,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegamble66 /forum/post/15439226

Any Crowson TES100 users that can compare their performance to Buttkicker or regular shakers.

Im reading they have actual audible speakers in them.?

There are no "speakers" in the TES 100. It is simply a mechanical transducer that changes the electrical signal to "motion".
http://www.crowsontech.com/go/crowso...opDefault.aspx
Quote:

They are quicker responding ?

but..

They are less "Impact" than others ?

It is "different" in that it is designed to have one leg of the sofa/chair sit on top of the transducer. Most other transducers are designed to be attached to the framework of the seating, or to the floor or platform. The TES 100 would be similar to using a Buttkicker with a Chair/Couch Mounting Accessory Kit:
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/home_th...ories/cmak.htm

Quote:

Also mounting options ?

I read they use the floor to Push against so they need to be UNDER the chair or platform ??

Correct.

Quote:

I wanted to mount inside a chair.. and have subtle but accurate Low hz response, with a feel that puts you in the scene, rather than just vibrate.

They're not designed to be mounted that way.

Quote:

NO Stores in Ottawa at all that carry anything.. this will have to be a on line purchase for my 2 rows of seats.. 5 total.

It looks like they only have one dealer in Canada, and they're in Toronto:
http://www.crowsontech.com/go/crowso...#International

I suggest you call or e-mail Crowson directly and explain the situation. They may be able to help you with a "demo" of the product.
http://www.crowsontech.com/go/crowso...opDefault.aspx

Also, why do you think you need 5 of them for 2 rows of seats?

Quote:

Any users out there that can comment ?

They cost more.. are they a "different feel" compared to shakers ?

Or is this a bit over hyped ? as a different league transducer ?

As with anything, they need to be properly set up. I am driving mine with a Buttkicker power amp:
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/home_th...bka1000-4a.htm

I have the high-cutoff, (low pass filter) set at 40 Hz. IOW, the Crowson only sees 40 Hz and below. I then spent a lot of time setting the level. I had several other people help me with the level setting process. At this point, the effect is quite natural and believable, without being distracting.

However, with this system, there is one "effect" you miss: sensing the tactile output in your feet. If your feet are on the floor and your body is shaking, but your feet are not, it's a little unnatural. However, that is the case with any seating mounted actuator. The only way around it is to mount the actuator to a suspended floor, or to a platform underneath the seating. Earthquake Sound makes an actuator and they have plans available to build a platform:
http://www.earthquakesound.com/quake10.htm
http://www.earthquakesound.com/IMAGE...ng-Option1.pdf

Frankly, if I were to redo my system, I would go with the Earthquake Sound system and build the platform. They had this system setup at CEDIA last October. IMO, it was the best demo of "motion" at the show.

One last tidbit: I also met the Crowson people ar CEDIA. They told me that they're working with D-Box on a system that will allow them to use the "Motion Code" track that is currently available on many BluRay discs:
http://www.d-box.com/2008/
http://www.thehdroom.com/article.php?id=2435

It won't be able to provide the front/back or left/right motion that a full-fledged D-Box system can, (which is overdone, IMO). But it will use the motion code track instead of having to use the subwoofer output and modifying it for the transducer. It will also be significantly more affordable than a D-Box system. It remains to be seen, (felt), if it is an improvement over current systems. I also do not know the timeframe for that system.

Craig

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much.

I wondered about the speaker in the transducer "duh" But I did read it in a review.

A professional review..I'm gonna dig that up.

I would be interested in a D-box set up, but I think it needs to develop more, I've heard about Long downloads 40+min of the BD before play back.

as for 5 units..well they go under a chair leg and I have 3 chairs row one 2 chairs row 2.

They attatch by a metal bracket that would not transfer energy well.

I could build a platform, but I don't want to raise my seating height too much(if possible).

So.. the cheaper Buttkicker mounted inside the chairs. Is perfect.

or.. The Crowson mounted under the chairs(raising it 1.1 inch).

From what I read the Crowson sounds like it would be a more natural feel.

More speed from the transducer allows more variable styles of sensation, hums, rumbles etc.. I want a natural blend to the sub and movie...NOT distracting.

My wife thinks it is a gimmicky thing geared for teenagers...I'm trying to convince her otherwise. She does enjoy our theater though.

I've found Nowhere to demo ANY type of transducer of anysort.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, One more thing..these are recliners and I rarely have my feet on the floor..plus at 5'7" tall I find it uncomfortable with my chairs..So my wife and I recline just a few degrees..to hit the perfect comfy spot.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i'm going Buttkicker NObody seems to be the Popular vote as 90% of everyone goes Buttkicker and is happy.

Earthquake may set the chair on fire. Run HOT.

Crowson is hard to get a hold of, and nobody claims they are tops!

But kickers less than half $ of crowson or Earthquake just as bonus. when your in the market for 5 units.

·
Premium Member
14,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegamble66 /forum/post/15446379

Thanks so much.

I wondered about the speaker in the transducer "duh" But I did read it in a review.

A professional review..I'm gonna dig that up.

Id like to see it.

Quote:

I would be interested in a D-box set up, but I think it needs to develop more, I've heard about Long downloads 40+min of the BD before play back.

If your wife thinks a transducer is gimicky and "for teenagers", don't even think about showing her D-Box. It's *way* more expensive, (think ~$15K/chair), and it's prone to causing motion sickness. It lifts, tilts, rolls and rumbles. It can generate up to 2 G's of motion force.
I sat through the demo at CEDIA and didn't really like the effect. I much preferred the Earthquake Sound Quake/platform system.

Quote:

as for 5 units..well they go under a chair leg and I have 3 chairs row one 2 chairs row 2.

They attatch by a metal bracket that would not transfer energy well.

I could build a platform, but I don't want to raise my seating height too much(if possible).

Is your second row on a riser? If so, you could attach a Buttkicker or Quake to the underside of the riser and get the whole riser to shake with one unit.

Quote:

or.. The Crowson mounted under the chairs(raising it 1.1 inch).

From what I read the Crowson sounds like it would be a more natural feel.

More speed from the transducer allows more variable styles of sensation, hums, rumbles etc.. I want a natural blend to the sub and movie...NOT distracting.

I think the Crowson is a more "natural" feel than a Buttkicker system. I even enjoy having mine on when I listen to music. It gives a gentle tactile "hum", (not audible), that feels just right.

Quote:

I've found Nowhere to demo ANY type of transducer of anysort.

Like I said, call Crowson. I would bet they'll let you "try" a unit to see if you like it.

Craig

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Craig... Your selling me on crowson.

I think I'll call them Monday.. I'm afraid to call because I'm an easy sell on the phone.

I see thousands floating out through the phone line, every bell and whistle they can sell me.

Maybe you need a quake and sell me yours ?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
14,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegamble66 /forum/post/15449185

Craig... Your selling me on crowson.

I think I'll call them Monday.. I'm afraid to call because I'm an easy sell on the phone.

I see thousands floating out through the phone line, every bell and whistle they can sell me.

Maybe you need a quake and sell me yours ?

Steve,

Did you ever call Crowson? What did they say?

Craig

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 eamils, One phone call.. No reply ?

I've been patient because of the holidays.

But.. By Friday I'll have chose a product.

Crowson.. or Earthquake.

Actually I emailed Earthquake as well they got back and said" how can we help you?"

I said I was looking for info on product a,b and c.. and to buy.

They too never got back to me.

I do wish there was a brick and mortor store to just walk in and BUY In Ottawa.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
. photobucket.com/albums/qq142/stevegamble66/September.jpg

These are the seats to set up w/ transducers ?

3 plus a console first row.

2 plus a console second row.

LOTS of legs there and their are 2 under each console as well, The way the seats attatch I think I'd need a unit under EACH leg, or less untis inside back of chair, lots of good lumber in there to bolt them to.

ps.

Ignore the screen and gear it is from last year when I started the room... All new stuff now.

·
Premium Member
14,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegamble66 /forum/post/15482682

2 eamils, One phone call.. No reply ?

I've been patient because of the holidays.

But.. By Friday I'll have chose a product.

Crowson.. or Earthquake.

Actually I emailed Earthquake as well they got back and said" how can we help you?"

I said I was looking for info on product a,b and c.. and to buy.

They too never got back to me.

I do wish there was a brick and mortor store to just walk in and BUY In Ottawa.

Remember, today is the first day of CES. The marketing departments are probably in Vegas right now.

Craig

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh..I see.

Also Spectra is a "by app. only" company small private business.?

They are just 4 hours up the highway, so I'll hold out for them.

Q.

You once said, If you were to do it again you'd go platform and Earthquake10.0.

For the shere power to move an object with more authority?

You like the feel better?

Would crowsons not move a platform?
http://photobucket.com/steveshometheatre

·
Premium Member
14,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegamble66 /forum/post/15487879

Oh..I see.

Also Spectra is a "by app. only" company small private business.?

They are just 4 hours up the highway, so I'll hold out for them.

Q.

You once said, If you were to do it again you'd go platform and Earthquake10.0.

For the shere power to move an object with more authority?

You like the feel better?

Would crowsons not move a platform?
http://photobucket.com/steveshometheatre

Yeah, the Earthquake/platform system was better, mostly because you got the sensations through your feet as well as the chairs. It felt very "natural".

The Crowsons are not designed to shake a platform. They're under-chair-leg devices.

Craig

·
Registered
581 Posts
As a proud owner of a pair of Crowson transducers here's my 2 cents. The Crowsons start and stop on a dime (no motion lag) and I've been enjoying subsonics in a number of recent films. If your regular subs are up to it they will provide the foot shaking and the Crowson will fill in the gaps. Well worth the money and the easy setup they provide just seals the deal.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The biggest draw back for me is the so called easy setup, I don't have a even dispersed number of chair legs.

So.. under the chairs, so that everyone gets the same equal sensation will require a lot of transducers.(5) for three seats.

I don't mind the extra work or money if they are simply superior.

It's not thousands...well, it could be ? 2 amps 8 units?? ok, yea thousands.. oh well..

I do prefer the possible one unit installed INSIDE a chair a easy sollution for me.

I also didn't want to raise the seat height.

I may modify the chairs to accomodate that.

I've just heard the crowsons are the most accurate and quickest.

But in tactile output "Bam" Cannon shot, the Quake hits you harder.

I actually want Both subtle ,accurate response that blends so well with My SVS PB12Plusx2 that I'm not sure which I'm sensing...

On the other side of the coin, when the Cannon goes off, I want to be slammed in the ribs. ie; Quake , inside the lower back portion of the chair.? to which no mistake made I've been tackled by a tactile response.

·
Premium Member
14,824 Posts
I watched The Incredible Hulk last night. That movie has phenomenal bass throughout. My single Crowson, driven by the BK amp was as much shaking as I could possibly want. The subsonic stuff is really phenomenal:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...k#post15129604

My subs, JL Audio F112's), filter out the subsonics. The Crowson adds it back.

Also, as jillbrazil says, it stops on a dime.

Craig

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the idea of that quickness.

I understand that low LFE 40hz shaking rumbling, but that quicks snap, bamm! of that one cannon, Master and Commander, 60-80hz area jolt!

with the SHORT throw, movment of the linear transducer..Is it able to also produce the same Single jolt, start/stop to the body of that of a earthquake10.0, buttkickerLFE, IBeam etc..

I see 1hz to 500hz specs. wow.. full range for sure.

·
Premium Member
14,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegamble66 /forum/post/15494447

I like the idea of that quickness.

I understand that low LFE 40hz shaking rumbling, but that quicks snap, bamm! of that one cannon, Master and Commander, 60-80hz area jolt!

I have mine crossed at 40 Hz, so I get very little 60 to 80 Hz stuff. I don't like it, (or *any* shaker), crossed over that high.

Quote:

with the SHORT throw, movment of the linear transducer..Is it able to also produce the same Single jolt, start/stop to the body of that of a earthquake10.0, buttkickerLFE, IBeam etc..

If it's coupled properly to the seating, you don't need a lot of movement to feel it.

Quote:

I see 1hz to 500hz specs. wow.. full range for sure.

Yeah, but I doubt you'll find many amps with 1 Hz response. I think the BK amp is 5 Hz.

Craig

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.