AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an Electrohome 9500 LC in our dedicated light and sound controlled theater. Up to now we've watched Blu-ray disks only on our LCD television set. When I tried using the component output of my PS-3 in the theater, it wasn't successful.

I'm considering getting an Oppo universal player for the theater, and I want to play Blu-ray disks through the Electrohome projector. If the Oppo's component output is essentially as good as its HDMI, that might be the way to go. However, if I'm not mistaken, they still don't upscale regular DVDs through the component outputs (which seems stupid to me, but we have to deal with it). So I'd still need an HDMI to component converter - right?

It's complicated enough to make me consider going digital.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
The answer to your question is simple, you need a Moome Vim Full HD card that slides right into the back of your 9500LC as an add on board next to your existing VIM. It will use the Input 2 selector in the menu.

http://www.curtpalme.com/VIM-FULLHD.shtm

Athanasios

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That may be the solution I need. The one complication is that I have an HD Leeza processor that converts 1080i to 1080p and does a nice job - and that was before HDMI, so it uses component. I currently have an old Denon receiver that takes multiple component inputs and sends them to the HD Leeza processor.

I'll have two outputs - DirecTV at 1080i and the Oppo universal player. So one possibility is to send the Oppo HDMI output through an HDMI to component converter to a receiver input, and the DirecTV component output to a receiver input, and the receiver output would be component to the Leeza processor, which would then send component to the projector. Does Moome make one of those devices, or would I need a Fury?

The other possibility is to use the Moome HD card at the projector. That would require me getting a new receiver that would serve as an HDMI switcher. I don't want to have to switch inputs on the projector, so I'd probably have to use the 1080i output of the Oppo rather than the 1080p to match the DirecTV output - but I'm not sure about that. I'm still unclear about how much visual difference there is between 1080i and 1080p anyway. I also wonder if the technology has improved so that I would get a much better picture now using HDMI.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
HDMI is much better in a clean image and the colors are much much better. I would look for a better VP that has some sort of CMS.

If you don't want to spend the $$ then just go to the PJ via HDMI and just switch inputs on the PJ. Its only one button.

1080p is just a smoother more film like image on the Marquee.

Athanasios

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I agree with Nashou's post. THe bad news is that your Leeza is more or less obsolete. The good news is, upgrading to HDMI will cost a fraction of what the Leeza did back in the day.

Even if you need to upgrade your receiver to one with HDMI Switching (also recommended), they have also come way down in price compared to what they were years ago when you put the system in.

If you're not quite in the audiophile realm, I'd recommend Denon as a good all around A/V receiver. They work well, I've installed several that customers have bought (I'm not a Denon dealer).

Funny, I was at a customer's place yesterday that has a high end Anthem receiver, one of the latest models with HDMI switching. The unit takes a full 30 seconds to lock to a new HDMI signal, not impressive at all.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson /forum/post/20764324

I'll have two outputs - DirecTV at 1080i and the Oppo universal player. So one possibility is to send the Oppo HDMI output through an HDMI to component converter to a receiver input,

and the DirecTV component output to a receiver input, and the receiver output would be component to the Leeza processor, which would then send component to the projector. Does Moome make one of those devices, or would I need a Fury?

I don't think the Fury does reverse trans-coding but even if it did converting HDMI to component is like grinding up Fillet Mignon and turning it into Taco filling
Switching channels on the PJ is only one button like Athan said, it's very easy. I have a simple guide that talks about setting up channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson /forum/post/20764324

The other possibility is to use the Moome HD card at the projector. That would require me getting a new receiver that would serve as an HDMI switcher. I don't want to have to switch inputs on the projector, so I'd probably have to use the 1080i output of the Oppo rather than the 1080p to match the DirecTV output - but I'm not sure about that. I'm still unclear about how much visual difference there is between 1080i and 1080p anyway. I also wonder if the technology has improved so that I would get a much better picture now using HDMI.

1080i is half the resolution of 1080P. 1080i on my marquee 8500 was unwatchable with big horizontal scan lines on the screen.

An new receiver will scale up 1080i directTV to 1080P and for the blue ray player it will (should) automatically pass-through the 1080P signal from Blue ray untouched. Budget wise, I would aim slightly lower on the BD player ( just get a Panasonic) and spend the difference on a new receiver + moome card.

I like Denon's but the new MArantz SR5005 or 6005 are fantastic.

·
Registered
525 Posts
There were some initial problems with the Moome HDMI cards and some EDID handshake issues, but those are now long resolved. It doesn't get much better than 1080P into a Moome card. Love mine.

You can read up on the Moome forum on CP's site to get a good idea what people think.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
The latest moome cards are simply the best way to get ANY image to your marquee.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19184154

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIR-Engineering /forum/post/19184154

Get the Moome external for 1080p 60Hz or 1080p 72Hz. It is much better and will show these with little to no attenuation.

HDF3 multiburst running 1080p 60Hz:

Moome external running 1080p 72Hz.

Need I say more?

craigr

Athanasios

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.