AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to set my CRT up with a 2.35:1 screen. Previously, I had a 1.78:1:1 screen, but found like others that most movies are cinemascope. The dilemma I have is this. I'd like to have a 96x41 scope screen and a 73x41 HDTV screen. Since my CRT won't be moving back and forth, is this going to be a problem? Can I keep the height of 41 inches the same for both formats? Thanks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes, but you sacrifice a lot of phospor to get it. Constant-height screens are cool, but going that way with a 2.35:1 screen means setting up your raster with a 2.35:1 image in it (I believe not all CRT's can even squeeze this much). 1.78:1 has to be windowboxed inside that 2.35:1 image, so 1.78:1 gets shortchanged on both vertical and horizontal resolution as well as light output (kind of like 1.33:1 does with a 1.78:1 raster, compared to if you used your whole 1.33:1 tube face for it).

To get the same brightness at 1.78:1 as you have now (assuming the same size 1.78:1 screen) you'll have to run your tubes harder and that will shorten their useful life. Not to mention, depending on your particular projector, you could lose a lot of detail esp. with HD material (or not if you have a 9" em focus machine).

I know some people do 2.35:1 constant-height anyway, but it is not for me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, that doesn't sound so hot. So, I would be better off with a 1.78:1 screen and fit the letterboxed image within the 1.78:1 frame...I will be watching HD on the projector too. I plan on going with a Marquee 8500.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The blank space above and below a 2.35:1 image will not bother you in a darkened room. If it does, you can rig up a masking system that allows you to adjust the black border above and below your image.

Keep in mind that HD is going to become more and more of what you will be watching so optimize for that....

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.