AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... I am in need of some advice. I recently purchased a Panasonic CT-30WX15 (30") CRT HDTV. I have been using my xbox as my dvd player for now, but I would like to get a progressive scan dvd player, not only for the quality, but also because I just don't like dealing with my xbox to watch movies.

One of the reviews for a progressive scan dvd player on cnet stated that with a CRT, getting an upconverting player with HDMI isn't going to get me noticeably better quality then a plain old progressive scan through component cables. After googling a bit, I can't really seem to find much other info, and am wondering what experience other people have had with this issue.

I can't post a link, but you can find the specs on panasonic's website, under "tau series pureflat TVs". It can display 480p and 1080i resolutions, 16:9 aspect ratio. Not sure what other info is needed but let me know and I can look it up.

Any suggestions on what make/model of dvd player to purchase would be much appreciated, as well as some comments on quality of the picture with HDMI vs component. Keep in mind though, I am in college so I pretty much spent most of the money I feel I could spend at this time on my new tv. I'm thinkin something under 150 would be ideal, but if HDMI is really better, then I can always save up for the quality.

Any comments?

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
personally I use a PC as my upscaling DVD player and I can definitely see the difference between setting my PC to output 720x480p at 59.940 HZ and 1920x1080i at 29.970 Hz

1080i looks so much better

but at the price range you are at

I would just stick to the progressive scan players

also the resolution of my Sony SFP TV, makes the scan lines at 480p very noticable

probably not as much of an issue with the Panasonic

I just bought the Sony DVP-NS775V, for my mom

and it works great, it passes alot of the DVD tests for the $100 DVD players

and does Blacker than Black which is important IMO

I did quite a bit of research and it seemed to be the best or one of the better progressive scan players for under 150

the new Pansonic upscaling DVD players, seems to be very well reviewed and rated

the entry level player was 200 and the premium model was 300

DVD-S77S (or B) and DVD-S97S (or B)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, well if it really seems a lot better, I am tempted to just wait for a while and get something with HDMI outputs... Aside from the fact that I may be getting an Apple laptop (which have dvi outputs i believe), what are some other good options? I have a denon receiver, so I was thinking about getting a denon to match it (model number DVD-1920 I believe). I am not familiar with these products, so any suggestions are quite appreciated.

And any more input on 480p vs upscaled 1080i is welcomed... Anyone who uses an actual DVD player to upscale rather then a laptop specifically; I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. Even though just using a laptop if I need to get one would mean I wouldn't have to purchase a new dvd player, I think I would still rather have it stay plugged in, and more importantly, have a remote control. Less hassle (and perhaps I'm a little lazy :cool: )

:D

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I purchased an upconverting dvd player w/HDMI for my 34" Sony hd set. I found the player to have worse PQ than my standard old progressive scan player. Also, I used a DVI-D to HDMI cable from my STB to my set and the PQ was not as good as when using component cables.

The upconverting dvd player was the Samsung HD850.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
I found the player to have worse PQ than my standard old progressive scan player.
What was your old progressive scan player?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo6273
What was your old progressive scan player?
The Samsung DVDP231. They have newer models out now. It's really nothing fancy, just an under $100 PS player. Works great for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know of any good sites to find reviews on dvd players? I checked CNET but so many of their reviews are several years old and the products aren't for sale anymore.

Useless!

But any more experiences on HDMI vs Component would be much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.