AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on info received on the forum, I was able to set up a 16:9 desktop. This works fine. Howerver, when I a widescreen movie, the image or screen size is considerably smaller. Do I need seperate settings for the desktop and for movies ? What should I do ? Can I select a different resoulution w/o having to reconverge the PJ ? What resolution works best on a 16:9 screen for the most popular DVD aspect ratios ?

When I had the screen set to 1280x768 (i am guessing) the picture was off the screen. This was a pain when trying to use programs on the computer but when watching movies, they filled the entire screen.

Please advice.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mike,

What software DVD player are you using? Most likely you should be able to control your picture size in the software that you are using. If you indicate what software you are dealing with, I am confident you should get the answer you need.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for not providing the setup info.

I am using an AIW 8500, TT dvd player and NEC 9PG+ PJ

Thanks.

·
Registered
5.2.0 Sony VPL-VW95ES, AT Screen, DIY THX-650, B&W 601S2, Fi IB, Integra 3.4, Buckeye 4x, Crest 8200
1,412 Posts
Pop in a true 16x9 movie like TS2 or Shrek, start TT and uncheck "Keep Aspect Ratio", go into the AR editor and select the 16x9 setting, adjust to fill vertically, save. Now every 16x9 movie will be correct. Do the same for your letterbox and 4x3 transfers. This is all covered in TT's docs.

-Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also wanted to know if a particular PS custom resolutions work best with DVDs with a particular aspect ratio.

Any advice will be appreciated as my frustration level rises.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Vendor
3,515 Posts
The 1440X960p resolution will give you perfect scaling when watching DVDs. That what I use on my HTPC which feeds a CRT projector.

If you have 1.85:1 screen, then movies with this AR will fill the screen fully.

2.35:1 will give you black bars on top and bottom of the screen, and 4:3 will give you black bars on left and right.

Some people do not pay much attention to black bars, some use masking for each AR.

You can also control AR with software players like TT or Zoomplayer.

Hope it helps.

Roman

·
Registered
5.2.0 Sony VPL-VW95ES, AT Screen, DIY THX-650, B&W 601S2, Fi IB, Integra 3.4, Buckeye 4x, Crest 8200
1,412 Posts
1440x960 when sized down to fit a 16x9 screen may be too soft on your 9PG+. I would start with 1280x720. Use the controls on your projector to properly size the raster so the windows desktop fits the screen.

-Mike

·
Registered
315 Posts
If one is using a 16:9 screen (1.78:1), doesn't one have to use a 16:9 resolution (like 1280x720) (1708x960) or else the desktop will not have correct geometry? Or is it OK to have crazy geometry and let the DVD app running (I'm using PowerDVD) "scale" the image for correct geometry??

On of my other burning HTPC questions: What kind of info leaves an SPDIF digital out from a mobo? (I have an ABIT IC-7G). DD5.1 but NOT 7.1?

Inquiring minds want to know-

Warren

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Its easiest if your screen and desktop have the same aspect ratio. This way the DVD app will scale all video to fit your screen properly. You could have it be different and fix it in the DVD app, but this is more manual work than it is worth. Usually the DVD app does the right thing when the desktop is the same as the screen.

What leaves an SPDIF port is Dolby AC-3 or a DTS sound track. Both are 5.1 audio signals, compressed in a digital data stream. The processor/receiver decodes this into 5 discrete audio channels, an LFE channel, and pulls (makes up) two extra channels out to create the last 2 channels (rears). These are 'fake', the data is sort of in the stream, but not really, so the quality of the software in the receiver plays a big part in how good those extra 2 channels sound. This is one reason folks love Lexicon processors, Lexicon has an excellent software that can create the other 2 channels very effectively.

If you are just playing 2 channel music, for example from Winamp 2.x, some audio cards let you send PCM out the SPDIF port as well. This is just a 2 channel, uncompressed audio stream at 48kHz. No surround information exists. Not all audio cards to this, and not all receivers will process it. (I know my MAudio Revolution and Lexicon MC-1 do, but that's just my setup.)

How do you like the Jersey Shore? I grew up there. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thx for the info Spearce!

Shore is great! Just too rainy this summer.....

WB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.