AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to live in a dorm room with a loft... I built it with a whole bunch of 2x4's. I had raised the bed, and placed my study desk underneath. There were lot of these being used at U of Michigan. Mine cost around $50 from memory. Being a freshman engineer, I calculated the maximum loading it could take and used SF of 5... the structure could take more than 1000lbs easily.

I miss those college days.. life was simple :( :)

Anyway, it struck me the other day.. what if I built a loft, raise my NEC PG9200 projector and hang it upside down? I have to live in an apartment for at least 9 months before my new house is finished and move in. It is impossible to ceiling mount a CRT in apartment, and I can't sacrifice any more floor space.

I even thought about not having a HT for 9 months but my wife and I enjoyed our HT from our previous house so much, just the thought was unbearable.

So... using 2x4's and 4x4s, the plan is to make a loft which is about 80 inches high, 100 inches wide (3 seater sofa would snuggly fit underneath) and 30 inches deep (so my PJ won't stick out). I can put my HTPC and all other AV gears (except front speakers) all up there as well, mount rear speakers, DVD and CD shelves, and even hang few plants too. I would use Unistrut or something to mount the PJ, and hell, I'll even build integrated PJ hush box too..

2x4s are construction material, not a furniture wood so it wouldn't look too good in house, but heck, with all the space I save, I think it might be a good idea.... especially for $50 or so.

Anyone have done this? how would it look? any comment appreciated.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Can't remember the exact post, but someone in the forum did something similar with angle iron. Seems like a great idea.

Why not just mount it on top of the platform and angle the projector down? Might be easier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
9PG setup manual have floor mount, ceiling mount and 12 degree tilted mount as "default" setup. Are you suggesting to tilt the projector down more than 12 degrees? would it be ok for the tube? or it might even be better because you will have less keystone error? I'd love that idea (not having to mount PJ upside down).. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm planning on doing something similar to your idea. My house has a vaulted ceiling(or cathedral, I'm not sure which, or maybe they are the same) and I can't mount to the ceiling. But I have a large 8 foot wall separating the family room/ HT room from the kitchen. I plan to build a contraption to hang the PJ from a point just above the 8 foot wall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.