AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So between my NY power being what it is, and me working like 100,000 hours a week (or so it feels), I haven't had much time to enjoy my hobby of being a couch potato in front of an 8' wide image. :D

So, what's the CRT hobby equivilent of those little desk pool tables and golf games you can get from the sharper image, etc?? Something to remind me of my hobby and take my mind off things I really should be doing, but don't want to be doing?

:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
How about those $200 "virtual big screen tv" glasses?

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
The answer would be this::

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3282

The auction is closed, but you can still find unbuilt Heathkits on eBay daily. Tuck a pair of side cutters and a soldering iron in the corner of your desk and you're ready to go!..

(CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW MUCH THIS TUNER KIT SOLD FOR?!?!?!?!?!?!)

to heck with investing in the stock market, I should'a bought Heathkits and kept them in the attic...

Curt

·
Registered
267 Posts
Lots of somebodies, judging by the bid history. It wasn't even that great a tuner, based on some reviews I read, although I remember being in awe of it when I used to stop in the Heath store with my Dad.

·
Registered
548 Posts
See if you can find that lego theater Curt's son made a few months back. That would work great.

Also, you could get a burnt or low output 7" tube to put on your desk. Just don't let anyone drop it. BOOM!

-Garrick

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be more interesting Garrick if I could also get an amp for that tube and try to get something projected onto the wall with it.

Who cares if I have to run at 100% contrast to see anything, a burnt out fuzzy green image would be cooler than a dud sitting on the desk. I'm sure all of the pros would agree, given that they have hundreds of duds laying around (esp. those that can't be rebuilt).

·
Registered
609 Posts
I hate to rain on the parade everyone, but adjusted for 1971 dollars the tuner hasn't actually increased in price. Leave it to a MBA to ruin the fun... :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd like to make a desk toy from 3 of the 1" CRT's used in camcorder viewfinders. Stick a few of lenses on the front, I think you can see where this is going........

Pete

·
Registered
34 Posts
Brilliant Idea!

I'm in !

I want to make it work, of course!

Wonder if VDC would change the phospors to RGB?

I thinking a simple transcoder to split an svideo signal into RGB

Maybe one central HV PS. cram everything on to one PCB that sits under or over the CRT.

Well need a mechanical guy that can make up a cool chassis.

Here's proof that I'm a serious project nut http://www.waycoolclock.com

Regards,

Barry

PS: I'd want a tiny Marquee 8000

Next Step: Tiny Surround

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
3 camera viewfinders, color filtered, and tiny lenses... Hmmmm........

This got me thinking.

RCA made a color viewfinder, the color decoder from that may be adaptable to get RGB video out of.....

Hmmmm...... Time to pull out the breadboard....

Marc

·
Registered
466 Posts
I want one as well... how-about a tiny Novabeem? (the Norelco shaver version)

or a tiny Barco 160x doing a 9" Pj with .75" or .5" crts .... now that's some scale!

or, like what I have on my celling, a tiny Barco 70x

Convergence circuitry is going to be interesting tho...

Josh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.