AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started when curt palme sent me an ampro 2000g, except, he sent me the wrong 2000g, the one with older tubes, a screwed up case, and several defective parts (registration board, power supply, and something else that is causing problems). Instead of sending the right one and taking the wrong one back like he should have done he sent out replacement parts (seemed like an alright idea to me at the time), and he took his sweet time it seems. First it was next week, then this friday, then on monday at the latest...etc... etc... Finally several months later I had the parts and it was working alright, mostly. Then I start receiving emails about him getting his "loaner" parts back (actually the broken ones I never should have had in the first place). I never sent any nasty emails to curt, and I haven't taken any more time to return the parts than he took to send them and fix the problem he created. I haven't been in a big hurry to get his parts back for obvious reasons, thought I still plan on returning them curt, just so you know.

·
Registered
880 Posts
People make mistakes. Curt is no different, yet in my period of time here, I have never seen Curt get pushed to that point. Me thinks that there is more to this story.

However, just to be fair, I set Curt an LVPS and another Marquee board for mods in a poorly marked box and no note of what I wanted done to them. He managed to not misplace the parts and performed the mods as requested, including battling an illness and got the shipped back to me in a prompt manner.

Hopefully, you guys can work this out.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Here's my side.

Yes, I wrote that email. THe blanked out words start with an a and end in an e for those that are interested.

I sold Jakob an Ampro 2000 in July 2004. Over a YEAR ago. He's right, in a week where I shipped out 8 sets according to my waybills, I managed to send him the wrong AmPro. We did discuss whether I would send him parts to correct the issue (lower hour tubes, etc) and he agreed to take the parts instead of swapping the unit out (as he states above). I remember sending the tubes out right away. Despite his claims, the set was fully tested and working when it left.

Over the course of the next 3 months at his request, I sent him tubes, a registration board and the hard to find CPU board. In fact I just looked it up, I sent out the projector on July 1, I sent the boards and tubes out on the 14th of July. The problem was therefore corrected. In October of 2004 I sent him a HVPS that failed. On Jan 3 2005 I sent him a LVPS. I don't know how many parts he really needed, I don't have the old ones back to determine whether he was looking for backup parts to keep or whether he actually had issues with his set.

I have since sent COUNTLESS emails to Jakob asking for the parts back and have sent him parts for a failure that occurred well after the 90 day warranty at no charge. The last demand from him was to fix the shifted raster issue. I told him I'd be happy to help once I got my parts back. Quote:

> >I'll let you know once I get my parts back, I figured it out.

He then threatened to list the parts on eBay so that I could buy them back. That was this May, 10 months after I sold the set. And I quote:

If you don't help me you can buy them on ebay in a few days.

As of today, I still don't have my parts as he states above. "Not in a rush'? That's an understatement. Yes, I can be SLOOOW, but not that slow. I even told him to send the parts back collect.

I did contact both the Ca. police and the local cops, but they really don't have time for petty stuff like this.

So I lost it as I was going through old emails. Broken promises and the threat of selling off parts that I loaned in good faith made me lose it. No, I'm not apologizing. Frankly I have enough AmPRo parts to get me by but Jakob, you won't get ANY service from me EVER if you don't send those parts back. It's been over a freaking YEAR!

It's because of people like you (and others that simply forget to send back loaner parts rather than hold them hostage) that I don't send out loaner parts now. I'm pretty easy going, even when the phone rings at 5:45 AM from a New Yawker that forgets that the West Coast is 3 hours behind them. I bend over backwards to take care of my customers, I think most people here would agree, but you pushed the limit way too far.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Curt, when are you coming to Disneyland? I intend to collect on that two, three beer promise of yours. I thought it was funny that you mentioned the two NIB amplifiers the guy had, because when he showed them to me yesterday, the first thing I thought of was you installing them in some stadium somewhere. I said to myself... "Curt would like this, I gotta tell him aboot it". lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
Always interesting to get both sides of the story.

Reminds me of all the vendor tharsing threads I have seen on other boards, where ofcourse only the customer gets his story out and the vendor is illustrated as Mr. Evil himself.

Kjell

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, forgot about the cpu board. You actually never offered to take the projector back, though I never really asked either, figured you'd shoot down that idea somehow.

Quote:
I sent out the projector on July 1, I sent the boards and tubes out on the 14th
Check your records again, it took at least two weeks just to get the projector (can't remember how long, it was stuck in customs), and I didn't even notice it was the wrong one at first. In fact I didn't send you the email until the 24th, and you had to defungus the blue tube still. Now that I checked my old emails it seems you didn't send them out until late October. I still have the UPS tracking number if you want it. I didn't get the LVPS until early January, and the wireless remote in february (it was supposed to come with the projector).

I forgot to mention many of my emails went unanswered. I guess I did get kind of mean in some of them, but I never called you an *******!

What 90 day warranty? The ebay auction stated you would "back the set for life", nothing about a 90 day warranty.

I wasn't really going to sell the parts, not worth much anyway.

I'm not sure how I "pushed the limit too far", You have taken longer than I have and I never threatened to call the cops on you, and did you actually call the cops??

It sounds to me like you're stressed out or something and need to take on less business.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jake_K.....why did you post this here in the first place??? Isn't this something you should be taking care of between y'all ?? Now, you probably have a legit concern IF Curt never did bother to rectify the mistake in the first place. Let you have the wrong PJ and forget you.

You say he never offered to take it back and ship you a new one and neither did you ask " coz somehow I knew he would shoot it down" . Would you have paid for the shipping atleast oneway? Heck I am sure it would have cost y'all another 300-400 and who knows how much you bought the unit for?? Obviously It probably makes more sense to swap parts than the whole damned thing. Again you were OK with that idea at that time. What are you complaining about here, you got a PJ and the man sent you every part you wanted FREE of charge. You are the one with a motive here and it is to smear his name in a public forum.

Give it a rest man. You should know better than to bring an issue between y'all on here and make an obvious attempt to screw Curt's rep. You are the only one looking stupid here buddy. He is a senior member here and there are many, many satisfied customers of his here. I wish I was his too.

I just don't get it still.....you buy something on Fleabay of all places and get service on it for a year and get loaner parts Free with no shipping costs to you and you still complain??? Get real bro. Peace.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well a few comments.

First or all IMHO it is not ok to post private email verbatim. If anything just describe the general content.

It appears that Curt is a dealer in CRTs and as such regardless who is right or wrong I find it very unprofessional to use that kind of language and threats.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Well a few comments.

First or all IMHO it is not ok to post private email verbatim. If anything just describe the general content.
I disagree with you about posting "private" email. As long as it's posted by the sender or receiver, there's nothing wrong with it. It's NO different than laws regarding the recording of telephone conversations. While it's NEVER all right for a third party to record them, in most states, if one of the two parties wants to record it, that's okay. If informed that a call might be recorded, it's legal in every state.

I look at it this way, don't write ANYTHING that you wouldn't want EVERYONE to see. :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm a happy Curt customer.

he's helped me multiple times, sent what I needed and I've always sent the old item back right away so that the next guy doesn't have to send his part in to be fixed and have his pj down.

Curt has helped me even while he's was in the process of rewireing the PA system in an old school. Did get me to call back later, he answered my question and back to work he went.

Always great service. Thanks Curt.

·
Registered
640 Posts
in my opinion it sounds like curt was an upstanding seller... When you purchase something out of country you always have the customs factor to worry about. there isn't any way around it. i have waited for things for a month to go through customs except for work. It sounds like he tried to fix the problem and his error. its too bad that he is out all of his spare parts.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
My last post regarding this.

1) I do back all of my sets for life. I also back everyone else's sets for life, ones that I didn't sell. That means tech support. Call or email me any time, I'll talk to you and give advice. THat takes up about 4 hours a day, and makes me NOTHING unless/until you buy a part or send me something for repair (or buy a set). It does however build goodwill which I figure will get me business down the road.

2) A lifetime free warranty on parts and labor on a used $600 projector? You're kidding, right?

3) Like I said, without any parts back from you, I have no idea whether you actually needed everything I sent you. I really doubt it.

4) You've already admitted here that you haven't sent me any parts back. I therefore have cut off all service to you. Try renting a movie at a video store without returning the movies you've already rented. Same deal here. Send me back the tubes and parts that you've threatened to sell on eBay and I can help with the shifted raster issue. Not until those parts.. ALL OF THOSE PARTS... are back in my hands.

5)I'm also not sure why you posted here. To prove that after about 50 emails (just on this computer) asking for parts back I finally lost it and sent a snarky email? Hey, I'm human. I can safely say that with an approximate 50 emails a day and doing business online for over 6 years, I've _NEVER_ sent an email out like that. Then again, I've never had a customer hold onto parts for a year and threaten to sell them on eBay.

Smarten up. Send the parts back and you can have a working projector again.

·
Banned
522 Posts
I have seen here two such affairs lately, it seems Curt can be slow, but he is fair. There is nothing wrong on posting these things.

If Jake really threatened to list the parts on eBay so that Curt could buy them back, it was the step which led it to the wrong track. This is more about learning things about Jake, not Curt.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Jake -- This is a CRT Projector forum, Not Judge Judy's Courtroom.

If you have a problem with Curt, work it out in private. We can't help you. Your complaint doesn't belong on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_K
and here's another one from before...

It all started when curt palme sent me an ampro 2000g, except, he sent me the wrong 2000g, the one with older tubes, a screwed up case, and several defective parts (registration board, power supply, and something else that is causing problems). Instead of sending the right one and taking the wrong one back like he should have done he sent out replacement parts (seemed like an alright idea to me at the time), and he took his sweet time it seems. First it was next week, then this friday, then on monday at the latest...etc... etc... Finally several months later I had the parts and it was working alright, mostly. Then I start receiving emails about him getting his "loaner" parts back (actually the broken ones I never should have had in the first place). I never sent any nasty emails to curt, and I haven't taken any more time to return the parts than he took to send them and fix the problem he created. I haven't been in a big hurry to get his parts back for obvious reasons, thought I still plan on returning them curt, just so you know.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
So sayeth Judge Wrathter.

(Actually in a twisted way, that has a nice ring (or wring) to it.)

;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I haven't purchased anything from Curt, at least not yet :). However, I can say that he has responded to

every question I've had about his units in a timely manner. He has the respect of many in here, and dispite

this thread he will continue to have that respect. Problems happen, it sounds like Curt did support you in

the best way possible - a lot of replacement hardware for FREE. Sounds like you have a working PJ and

that's what you wanted, isn't it? If you still have part that you owe him, send them back and move on.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
curt you have to give people incentive to return loaner parts , 100$+ deposit would accomplish this and would be refunded after the said parts were returned . remember people always want something for nothing............

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penticton102
curt you have to give people incentive to return loaner parts , 100$+ deposit would accomplish this and would be refunded after the said parts were returned . remember people always want something for nothing............
ditto, the free loaner parts program always had me puzzled, human nature is too flawed for something so altruistic to ever really work out. People should be given a choice, send in your old part first, or send in a $ deposit. Jake, hopefully you learn something from this, to cause so much trouble over a measly $600. PJ is pathetic.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Threads like this reinforce my thought that we are lucky to have the input of professional resellers on this board. Yes, they do get business from here, but they are also susceptible to having any oddball transaction publicly posted. Things go astray at times. I often think how it would be for me if I belonged to a board for my type of business. Hashing things out on a public board for your work would tend to be really odd. Anyway, thanks Curt, Terry, Doug, Tim, etc for sharing your knowledge.

I'm glad I saw this thread as I was about to sign up on a pantomime training board - not now!

Bip

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
Here's my side.

It's because of people like you (and others that simply forget to send back loaner parts rather than hold them hostage) that I don't send out loaner parts now. I'm pretty easy going, even when the phone rings at 5:45 AM from a New Yawker that forgets that the West Coast is 3 hours behind them. I bend over backwards to take care of my customers, I think most people here would agree, but you pushed the limit way too far.
Jake

Do us all a favor.

Work this out with Curt one way or another.

Many of us rely on Curt for support and over the 4 or 5 years I've been on this forum there have only been a very few reports of any isssues between Curt and customers. With the volume of his sales that is nothing short of incredible.

After all my dealings with Curt and the number of times he has helped me out I find your story somewhat exagerated at best and mostly made up at worst.

I believe you had an issue and that mistakes were made but I can't believe you can not work this out unless you want the world for NOTHING.

If I go to the car dealer and buy a 12 year old vehicle I may appreciate a small warrentee but not for life. Tech support is just that support not warrentee. That means he helps you but not for free.

Steve

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.