Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to find a CRT club in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

I have a Marquee 8000 and would like to meet other local CRT owners.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dean

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Dean,

Send a private message to the user "Kysersose" (aka Mike) on this forum and you'll get added to the Ottawa HT distribution list... Afraid it's not only CRT owners, but the CRT'ers do have the most fun of course! :)

Marquee 8000? Very nice! Tell us a bit about your setup maybe if you don't mind!

Kal

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It started with a 43" Pioneer Rear Projector years ago. When I received it the first thing I said was "It needs to be at least twice as wide and twice as high. After lots of research I chose to go with a Marquee 8000, an IEV Line Doubler and an Electric Tab tensioned 120" screen.

I've had problems with the Marquee. I've just replaced the high voltage power supply (>$1000) for the second time and the controller board for the first time. I've only had it 3 years now and don't use it a lot. I have a regular color TV behind the screen that I used day to day for news and broadcast while playing pool. Luckily I found a nice guy in Maryland that sold me a contoller for >$100 and I'm back up and running, although now for the first time since I got it, I'm having a problem getting it to converge properly, it seems although the green gun focuses properly, the red and blue only come close to sharp now matter how hard I try.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As far as sound goes, I have not focused on it as much as I have the video. I have a 5 piece set of Boston Acoustic speakers, a massive Definitive Audio subwoffer and an Onkyo 100 x 5 Surround Receiver (which is at the shop now for the past month awaiting some $5 part).

I have recently acquired a Bryston 3BST and am looking for 2 - 2B LP's, one to bridge for the center and one for the rears. I have an Adcom GTP-600 on loan from a friend, but would like to get a Lexicon someday.

More to the point, I intend to focus on improving the video image as well and am looking at what to replace my line doubler with. Any idea's? It appears I can get another dedicated box 'Scalar', or a video card scalar for my PC.

Thanks for putting me on to Kisersose.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Dean,

Two HVPS's in 3 years? This seems far from normal and even goes beyond just plain bad luck I think. It may be that something ELSE in the unit is causing these to fail on you. I'd post another question in this forum including something in the title mentioning that you've got a 'Marquee 8000' and that you've 'replaced your HVPS twice now in 3 years'. That'll turn heads....

There are TONS of Marquee experts here, including Tim Martin of E-Tech to name one. If Jesus is a Marquee then Tim is God. :)

They'll lead you in the right direction to make sure that you're not headed into another failure. I'm not intimately familiar with the M8000, but if I'm not mistaken both the HVPS and the LVPS are sealed units that are generally unservicable. That being said, I could have sworn someone on here in the last year has mentioned that he can now service these power supplies.

Start using the SEARCH feature as well... you'll be surprised how much info you find out.

Kal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.