AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new to the hometheater world. I just setup my first budget hometheater. I am using klipsch refernce series speakers and sub,onky reciever and infocus 4805 dlp projector. I love the setup. My question for you guys is there a big difference in image quality between a 480p dlp unit vs a sony 1272 with good tubes and perfect setup. Now I know crt's blow everything away in contrast but

what about sharpness. Can a sony 1272 look nice and sharp with hd material. I want to go to crt but i just keep hearing they lack sharpness.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
The 1272, with decent tubes/low hours, will do a fine job at 1080i and maybe even 720p. It will not be as bright, but the image quality will definitely impress you. Keep us posted, there are some of us out here that have spent wayyy too much time with the 12xx series that can help you get it going strong

·
Registered
98 Posts
jhyland12 - Your 4805 is a native 480 line solid state projector. Perhaps the issue is not one of how well HD material is handled, since the 4805 cannot project anything HD without downrezing it to SD. I played with a 4805 and I have had several Sonys, including 1272. If you are watching a movie, the Sony will be vastly more pleasant, not because of "crispness" but because the overall image is more "film-like". I suspect this has to do with contrast ratio. The larger your screen, the more this will be apparent.

The 4805 will look noticably better when using it as a computer monitor, however, or when watching cartoons (i.e. graphics requiring no significant contrast ration capability). Perhaps "edge detail" is what you refering to. In a "graphic" environment, solid state projectors do a better job. In a "movie" environment, the 1272 would definately be superior to the 4805.

OK - I have run out of " marks so I have to shut up now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys, not sure yet if I will go the crt route or upgrade to 720p dlp. I am sitting on the fence with this issue. I know contrast and peception of depth is soooo important to have that 3d feel.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Moore /forum/post/12873731

Your 4805 is a native 480 line solid state projector.

Hi there

Carefull, "digital" and "solid state" are not equivalent terms. In this case, since the OP has a DLP PJ, the "solid state" does apply. But I've seen "solid state" used to include plasma and liquid crystal displays, and that is obviously a misuse of terminology.

Regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can somebody post a screenshot of a well setup sony 1272. I know screenshot are almost pointless because there are so many variables but it still would give me an idea....thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
v1rtu0s1ty

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would.. IF mine was set up right now.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Your best bet is to try to see a CRT in action if you haven't already. Post your location and maybe someone local to you will offer to demo theirs for you. Even if it's not a S1272 you can still see what CRT has to offer.

-Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
heres a pick of my infocus 4805 running custom rez 848 x 480 dvi through momitsu dvd player. Photo taken with fuji finpix s7000.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wow.. you live within driving distance of Curt Palme.. he's in Vancouver, BC, Canada. He can get you a great unit.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
C'mon up if you want. I'll set something up for you.

THere are lots of CRT owners in Seattle though, not sure how many read this forum. Steve Smith comes to mind who has a G70.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Forget 480p and get a CRT. Had excatly the same IF4805 and could NOT live with SDE and got rid of it within the first 30 day. 4805 suffers from SDE, RBE and video noise very badly. I never understood the reason(s) for its popularity even the days it was going for $1000~1500.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyland12 /forum/post/12881602

heres a pick of my infocus 4805 running custom rez 848 x 480 dvi through momitsu dvd player. Photo taken with fuji finpix s7000.

looks Pixelated, I would take even an entry level electrostatic focusing 1272 over that. I'm not sure what your budget is, but nowadays you can get into an electromagnetic focus set starting at the $1K mark. Look for a nice MArquee 8500, NEC PG9200, Barco 1208, or Sony G70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyland12 /forum/post/12872649

what about sharpness. I want to go to crt but i just keep hearing they lack sharpness.

the above sets I mentioned being fed an HDMI signal will be very sharp, especially in comparison to 480 and 720 Pixel machines which to me are not sharp at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts