AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small room (12' X 14') in which I'm considering installing a CRT projector. My reasons for doing so are:

1) I like the idea of using a microperf screen so that my center channel can be behind the screen vertically in line with the left and right channels rather than above or below the screen of a direct view or rear projection TV.

2) I can have a larger picture than I could get with a direct view or rear projection TV while at the same time not messing up my sound quality (which I'm very satisfied with currently as I only have a 20" tube between the left and right speakers which leaves plenty of breathing space).

3) Used CRT prices seem to be down in the range of a nice direct view or rear projection HDTV.

4) CRT image quality does indeed seem to be the best possible and I am critical of the video images I'm looking at (I'm a photographer and like to see photographic image quality or as close as possible for reasonable cost).

I realize that a CRT does involve quite a bit to setup and maintain although I feel very comfortable with that if it means I'll get the best image. Although my room is small it does not have any windows so total light control is not a problem. Likewise, ceiling mounting would not be a problem other than I have a door at the rear center and the projector needs to be above the height of the door (ceiling is 8' high and door is normal height) or in front of where the door swings. Viewing distance is 7' and I am looking to primarily watch DVD and HDTV with DSS and cable only occasionally. Ideal image size would be somewhere between 45" to 60" diagonally.

Given this information, am I crazy to even think about putting a CRT in this environment? If CRT would be a viable option, which models should I consider and where are good places to look for them? If this was your room what would you do? Hopefully I've listed enough relevant information to answer these questions.

I'm very new to CRT so any advice or suggestions from the very knowledgeable people on this forum is greatly appreciated. Likewise, if there are any other sites where I could learn more about the fundamentals of CRT's rather than bog this forum down with redundant questions please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have some of the same questions pending (sent some specific ones to Curt Palme, who seems to be the reigning guru for CRT on this forum).

My room is only slightly smaller, about 12' square (yeah, yeah, I know - talk to me about standing waves... :) and I'm looking for a 48"x27" screen - 55" diagonal - on an angled wall over a corner fireplace.

Had the same objections as you concerning direct view - the best I could come up with that would allow a shallow enough depth to sit nicely in the corner (OVER the fireplace) was RCA's 38" F38310 or Samsung's 40" LCD-based SLK-407w. In either case, the screen wasn't the size I wanted.

A 50" plasma would be perfect - except for the cost.

Since it has to sit above the fireplace, RPTV is out - under cabinet size would put the picture too high - even if I *could* elevate it that much... :)

The only other choice for me was projector - LCD/DLP or CRT - and CRT seems to win out for picture quality. My only real question is whether they're capable of generating a picture that's as SMALL as we require. All the specs I've seen on the Sony 12xx series, for example, say the picture size is 70" to 200-300". We need a picture size slightly smaller - and throw distance may be a hindrance if the projector has to sit too close to the screen, i.e. in the middle of the room, to get us what we want.

At any rate, keep us informed of what/how you're doing. I'm a relatively new member, as well, and we can benefit from each other's accumulated knowledge.

Best Regards...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Dan,

I think the only problem you might have is the door. You would have to ceiling mount the projector about 3 or 4 feet away from the door to provide clearance for the back of the projector. That will put the front of the projector about 7 to 9 feet from the screen. You should be able to easily get a 4 feet wide screen (60" diag) in that case. I'm using an 80x45 inch screen and the front of my projector is about 9 to 10 feet from the screen.

I would suggest getting in touch with Curt Palme from this forum, he can set you up with something appropriate for your needs.

·
Registered
199 Posts
my room is 12x13 feet .

i have a ecp4500 and a 77inch wide 4:3 screen .

crt is best . even with a small room it is worth the effort to squeez one in

mine was a bit of a prob to fit only becouse i have a direct veiw tv behind the screen for none film veiwing . the only realy dificulty that this makes is there is not a lot of room between the pj and back wall for doing ajustments:(

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK, all small roomers lets hear it! Mine is 10X12. Currently shooting a Sony VPH-1270 onto a 96" wide screen. Got away with it by using Bose cubes, and knocking out a garage wall. Explanation: One of those Washington DC micro townhouses with a "Recreation Room" behind the garage (yeah right!). Only way I could figure out how to pull it off was to mount the PJ on the ceiling in the rear of the room, shoot it towards the wall (between garage and room). Still too small. Solved the problem by cutting a hole from ceiling to 2' off the floor and width as wide as my Da-lite 96. Mounted it 4' into the garage, built a ramp from bottom of screen to the 2' cut, voila! theater, and enough room to still park the car. (under the ramp).

If I would have built the enclosure straight to the floor, I wouldn't have been able to park the car in the garage.

You WILL need at minimum a DVDO IScan. The straight picture will bring out visible scan lines, actually even w/ the scan lines, picture is better than a Sony VPL-10HT (IMHO the reigning LCD).

Go for it, the PJ is DAMN heavy, but the result is well worth it.

I think I paid 900 from projectorspecs.com and bought a HD screen from him for 125

Best investment I ever made! Go for it!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi All,

I am starting to think that I have a pretty big room for my 2 person home theater.

I have a room 15x13' room with a 100" diagonal 4x3 screen and I love it.

Thanks, Brian

PS, Dan I decided to get an NEC xg75 and a stewart screen and Quadscan for roughly the same price as buying a 65" Toshiba rear projection.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, thanks for all the helpful advice. The posts have been very informative.

I downloaded the PJCalc program as suggested and tried playing with my room particulars to see what might work out. To get the image in the size and position I want specifies a -24 degree angle of projection. That seems pretty steep so I'm wondering what the ramifications are of such a projection angle? For instance, will the image be sharp and undistorted across a screen width of 61" (with various aspect ratios from 4X3 through 2.35:1)at a throw distance of only 84"? Are there other solutions to this problem that I may be missing besides having such a steep angle?

As before, thanks in advance for any help!

Dan

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
Li On,

Which do like better. The 808 or the XG?

Bob Wood
Hi Bob,

I guess I like my current XG slightly better. The NEC has so many adjustments so a freak like me can get a "more" perfect picture with constant tweaking.

The Barco is VERY easy to do the initial setup. But it's VERY hard to get it 100% perfect.

For normal power user, my recommendation goes to the Sony G70. Easy for initial setup though a bit more work that a Barco. And not too hard to fine adjust a almost perfect image.

Picturewise, they can all look very similar once calibrated.

regards,

Li On

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.