AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting to get my first HDTV (either CRT or LCD). Is the PQ going to be as good as my 10 year old JVC? 90% of the shows I would be watching (ESPN, TNT, FX, USA etc.) are not HDTV. What kind of PQ quality can I expect on a new HDTV? If it is not as good as a 10 year old Tube, why not. they should be able to make a set that would display old signals as well as old equipment and still allow them to display the new HDTV signals.

·
Registered
845 Posts
NO.

If you are not going to watch HD or DVDs. Keep your current TV.

Why? Get a picture that's 320X240 and enlarge it to 1280X720 or larger on you computer and see how good or bad the picture gets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does an SD signal look good on a NON HDTV RPTV ("60") and look like crap on a New HDTV RPTV ("60"). They should have made a tuner that can display SD just like the old sets and also be able to display the newer higher quality HD signals. I know that my 31" will be a better PQ because it is 1/2 the size but it just makes no sence to buy a TV that has worse PQ than a TV that is 10 years old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are a couple of reasons that analog signals look "bad" on newer big sets.

1. As Ein suggests, when you expand a low resolution image to a much larger AND much sharper display you are going to be able to notice the flaws in the image.

2. SD looked OK on Non HDTV RPTV because they had lower resolution, and therefore could hide the artifacts.

3. Scalling must be done to the images to fit HD resolution- wide screen or not-> so if a TV has a lower resolution that happens to be a better fit to the original signal it will look better than a more expensive and higher resolution TV. A perfect example of this would be compairing the Panasonic HD and ED plasmas... DVD's will look better on the ED because the image scales better to ED. Also look at a pair of Samsung 27' TV's -> the HD one actually seems less sharp than the ED (SAM TXN2730F vs. SAM TXN2745FP).

4. HDTV's show DVD's and HD much better than a standard definition set.

Lastly as a side note: check the quality of SD signals on a CRT based RPTV vs a LCD or DLP, look closely and i bet you will see more detail in the newer technology sets (LCD particulary), whether you enjoy it more is up to you, but the detail is there.

Please excuse my spelling, I dont currently have access to a spell checker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.