Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Ive been looking through these forums for a little while and im about to replace my old and broken Sony VPL-HS1 lcd projector. I want a ceiling mounted setup this time and will buy a new permanant 90" ish screen to suit whatever projector I buy which I'll get professionally installed, the problem is I dont know what projector would be best or even if CRT is my the best choice.

I use the following sources:

Pioneer DV-717 DVD (Soon to replace with 868AVI with progressive out)

Pioneer CLD-925 (Good quality european LD player - S-video out)

Sky Box (Runs through transcoder to give interlace component out)

Occasionally use game consles connected via S-Video

My amp converts all sources to component (It has 40Mhz bandwidth)

I have a budget of about $6000 and live in the UK. I could just about afford a new Cine 7LT but wanted to hear some opinions on potential secondhand buys. This is the only decent UK place for CRT I have found so far:
crtprojectors.co.uk/projectors.htm

I was wondering how easy a CRT is to use once setup, can modern ones be left on one input selection and deal with changes in picture format providing all input is into the same component input?

Any opinions on decent second hand options would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
With that kind of budget, consider the Sony G70 in the UK. The reason your fellow UKers like it is 110/220V power supply, and great pricture w/ PAL material scaled to the 860 area (which is the perfect resolution for the G-70.

Another reason it is liked is the input it comes with will do RGBHV as well as 1080i HD component.

CRT's are very easy to use once set up and if you get a good machine and it is set up properly, only require an easy "tweak" every few months.

Yes the CRT's I am taking about will deal with any signal that comes at it pretty much automatically.

Barcos are nice as well, but have some color issues unless you get a Barco 1209S w/ color corrected CElements.

Terry

Terry

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
There seems to be a guy with auctions out of England on ebay pretty regularly. He has a variety of crt's in various conditions. Just look for the auctions in pounds, and check his feedback/location. Henry at the site you listed is very helpful. I've never bought anything off him but he's always very generous with his advice.

A G70 or Barco 808 or 1208 would make you very happy I'm sure, but one of the smaller ones may be ok too. If your budget were pounds, I'd buy the 1208 converted to a 1209 he has advertised. That is a smoking deal !

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
With that budget you can easily get a good Barco 1209..

I have a couple of friends who live near London - both are Barco owners - one of them (Mark) has a good contact with a service guy who works for Barco who could assist you with the calibration..

PM or email and I can put you in touch with Mark..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also a newbie here....

Look at this address, they may be serious, but you might as well check them (for both of us- I live in Greece and I am considering buying a used Sony 1271) http://www.b4projection.co.uk/

Peter

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I forgot to mention that I suppose I'll need some kind of internal scaling as I dont want another box on the rack and PQ would badly suffer if I didnt scale. I noticed some 808s have a limo scaler, would these projector be any good?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I don't know of any CRT with an internal scaler. If you are that concerned about space (to not have an external scaling box), I'd say CRT isn't for you, do you realize just how big 3 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet x 170 lbs is ?

None of the Barco 808 units ever contained a scaler internally that I've heard of. Perhaps hung on the back, some of the smaller scalers are really quite small, almost could be taped to the bottom/top of the projector.

Definately do not run the projector without a scaler, the picture quality is significantly better with one. :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
We are used to seeing ex-industrial pj's, which almost never have the extra doodads, but many recent vintage Barco's had the option of an internal Lido(prduct name) scaler/doubler. Check the UK website(mentioned earlier in the thread), there are several Barco's listed with the internal scaler/doubler option. It was also available on the Sony D50.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
When I got my Barco 808 there was an optional internal scaler - (think tripler)- available - but it was *really* expensive - around $5k iirc..

Doesn't make much sense and probably not any better performance than a $300 prog scan DVD player.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Hmm, learn something new. I didn't realize the vendors even considered an internal scaler, but at $5k I can see why... must of cost them $500 to make, yeilding $4500 profit for the "ease of use" of having the scaler already installed in an input card slot.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
It wouldn't be prudent to dismiss it out of hand unless someone has SEEN it working and KNOWS it doesn't live up to the performance one should expect from a tripler.

A tripler should provide a better image than any progressive scan dvd player since it is even higher resolution, 720p, is line tripled, isn't it ?

What if it were available in a used projector without the $5000. premium ?

It becomes alot more attractive that way.

That would be very convenient, only one connection to an AV receiver for all your regular video sources.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
THe UK site mentioned in the first post is providing the optional LimoPro built in scaler for a cost of 451 pounds sterling, a pretty good deal when you look at the spec sheets on it. Engineered to be a perfect match with the projector and providing scaling of both PAL and NTSC, combined with the convenience of the single connection to the pj, it looks like a great deal to me. Especially attractive if you have an LD player, or older VHS sources which would benefit a HUGE amount from the synch stabailzing feature mentioned.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke to the CRT people in the link today for quite a while (45mins) and before I mentioned owning a laserdisc the internal LimoPro was mentioned as superb for this purpose. The general view on the internal Barco scalers from the dealer was performance with DVD was good but not as good as the newer external boxes but for Laserdisc and convenience it was hard to beat. To put things in perspective I have around 300 DVDs and 200 Laserdiscs. The sky box is also a pal interlaced source and from what people have said in reply here will need to be line doubled/tripled.

That brings me to a final question. Im not sure if the Cine 7 is worth the extra over the Cine 7 LT. The dealer seemed to think line quadrupling was overkill for this projector but I didnt get round to discussing field doubling, what is it?

I have decided Im going to get either a Cine 7/7-LT or a Texas HD2/HD2+ based DLP projector. Just gotta go see them and decide.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
IMHO, spring for the 808s with the internal LimoPro, its only 500 more and its an EM pj versus an ES pj in the Cine7, much sharper picture, with some more brightness too.

You'd NEVER need to upgrade that !

When you see DLP side by side with CRT it will make your choice easy.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GN2,

Im not sure on the difference between electrostatic and electro magnetic focus is but will try to search.

The choice in that case is no longer so simple, as far as I can tell the colour corrected Cine 7-Lt will give better colour, slightly better deinterlacing, a smaller case and lower noise. The 808S offers higher brightness (125%?), higher detail (140%?), better focus and compatibility with 1080P.

I am only going to use a 80*60 screen do you think the 808S advantages will be very obvious?

Thanks for the informative responses so far everyone.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yes.

IMHO, it is VERY easy to see the difference between ES focus and EM focus, especially with good sources. Others will have a different opinion and you should really look at BOTH with the same sources so you can see the differences for yourself. If your source is DVD, then there may not be as obvious a difference, but with HD you will see it immediately IMHO.

There is no reason why you can't color correct the 808s. It has been discussed on this forum and can be achieved with ease using some simple filters, or a change of lenses(which appear on ebay now and again, usually for a very reasonable amount.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.