AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks:

I'm a newbie to the CRT space, and having been focused on getting a new DLP projector, I'm finally coming around to the fact that I'll likely be way happier with a CRT. Image quality is of paramount importance to me, and I don't mind having to do some tweaking if need be. I'm thinking of spending about $3k, but could spend more if really needed. I'm currently using a dalite screen that's 80inches across (I believe), I have controlled lighting in the room, and can use a HTPC if my curret PC meets the demands. I'll be using the projector for DVDs only for now, but would like to pursue HDTV later on.

Could you offer any advice to me on projectors to consider?

I have been looking at either a Barco 808 or a Metrohome 8500, but then I really don't know the space, and wouldn't know a bargain (or a lemon) if I saw one. In particular I'm very keen on the couple of Metrohome 8500s that have shown up on eBay with the custom chassis:

dBay item #: 3046142146

Although, would a wear of '6' on the green bulb be worrying? Maybe I could get another 8500 and get the chassis seperately? I believe they run about $1k - the look of the projector is kind of important, but not critical. It's just that that chassis looks very very cool.

There are a few newbie questions I have and I'd be soo appreciative if I could get answers to these. Many thanks in advance for all your help. I'm sooo keen to get up and running with a CRT, but I'm hopeful of navigating the challenges with minimum hassle.

1) Can I somehow mount such a heavy projector on the ceiling of my room given that my ceiling doesn't seem to have any good structural support at the appropriate point in the ceiling?? The point would be close to the back wall of the room, but my couch would be there, so I couldn't easily do a ground-based support for the projector.

2) Could I place the projector on a table that could be wheeled away as needed, or does the projector have to 'stay put' to remain calibrated? If I do wheel it into place as needed, would re-calibration be manageable?

3). I have PC that should be usable for home theatre, but would I need to make any modificaitions to it to be up to scratch? It's a 800MH P3, 512MB, NVidia GeForce 2.

4) Noise from the projector would bother me, unless its drowned out by the HTPC - so quieter projectors would be preferable.

5) While I'm tech savvy to some extent, I'm not that tech savvy, and would err on the side of spending more to get more reliability, ease of use and eas set-up and maintenance, rather than spending less for a bargain.

Well, that's it really. Again, any and all advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance, and appologies if any of my questions were dumb or have been answered elsewhere. Cheers,

· Registered
3,422 Posts
My advice is to contact Curt Palme for your projector!!he is on this very forum and is very honest!!also has great support!

· Registered
2,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnetbiz

Although, would a wear of '6' on the green bulb be worrying?
Depends on the size of the existing wear pattern and its uniformity. If you don't need to move the projector back too far to work within it (thus compromising resolution and light output), it could be fine.

Quote:

1) Can I somehow mount such a heavy projector on the ceiling of my room given that my ceiling doesn't seem to have any good structural support at the appropriate point in the ceiling??
Yes. You can span adjacent joists with unistrut.

Quote:

2) Could I place the projector on a table that could be wheeled away as needed, or does the projector have to 'stay put' to remain calibrated?
When I temporarily setup my projector to play with screen sizes, I had it on the shipping crate - but didn't bolt the lid on. It got shifted, could never be lined back up right, and needed a bit of tweaking before every movie. You really want the projector bolted rigidly to the ceiling (it'll sit where you want to if you have it on the floor).

Quote:

3). I have PC that should be usable for home theatre, but would I need to make any modificaitions to it to be up to scratch? It's a 800MH P3, 512MB, NVidia GeForce 2.
It might work. You also need a sound card that can do pass-through.

· Registered
4,810 Posts
not sure about Metrohomes, but Electrohomes are great projectors for begineers. While certainly not easy to set-up, they are about as friendly as these complicated machines get. Some wear on the Green CRT TUBE (not bulb) is OK, it should not be the color of strong coffee if seeing whites is important to you.:p

the distance to the screen is critical, you can't just stick these anywhere. for an 80" screen you will need to be about 9 feet back. Have a carpenter reinforce your ceiling, rolling it into position is not an option since typical set-up is 4 to 6 hours for an experienced person.

your PC is fine, but I think you should change the G-force gaming card to Radeon + add a Revolution audio card.

The Electrohomes are quieter than most and for $250. the power supply can be quieted even further by E-tech. My currently floor mounted Electrohome 8500 with no mods is only slightly noisier than my HTPC. 3 Marquees just sold from reputable sellers on flea-bay ranging from $1250. to $2500. Grab one while you can because the cheap surplus supply from public institutions won't last forever. I'm not that tech. savy either but my Marquee is one of the best pieces of gear I ever bought.:)

· Registered
4,991 Posts
A few points to consider:

In your budget, if you are willing to spend $3K, look to spend about $2K on a projector, and leave $500 - $1000 for set-up if you want a perfect image RIGHT NOW (i.e. you don't want to go through the month-plus learning curve of tweaking and fiddling).

You HTPC will be fine for DVD playback and SDTV (standard definition TV; i.e. "regular" TV/Cable) scaling. You are probably a bit underpowered, without an MPEG-2 encoder card, for PVR functionality and you are definitely way underpowered for HDTV software decoding or the new Microsoft Windows Media 9 HD-DVD technology. Of course, everyone that can't get to a 3GHZ equivalent is underpowered there, but that's a whole different story...

As for your budget, the resellers here are good folks to talk to, or you can look in the HT Marketplace (many dealers and some forum members place their used projectors there). Unless you are willing to gamble a bit, and know what to look for/ask for, eBay is probably not your best choice. It's a good place to look for what's there, but it puts you at a disadvantage versus those that do it professionally for some of the more prominent deals.

As for specific models, some of the ones to look for in this price range are the NEC PG and XG series, the Barco 8xx series, the Sony 1292, and the Electrohome 8000/8500. Any of these would be a great first projector, and would do you well.

HTH and welcome to our neck of the universe!

Later,

Bill

· Banned
20,735 Posts
Also email curt palme for his beginner's faq. It goes through in better detail about CRTs in general, along with specific models, so you know what's going on. Also ask to be put on his mailing list, and you'll get his updates about which projectors he has, and prices, etc.

For a beginner (like myself), I would recommend you purchase from one of the forum regulars, like tim, curt, etc, they know what they are doing, are honest, and will back up their sales. Ebay has a lot of scams, and a newbie can be taken easily if you don't know what to ask, and are willing to buy several, and still have to do some work on them. With a reputable regular seller, there's no question about whether you're actually going to reciever your unit, let alone get one in working condition.

Take some time to do some research, ask for a demo or two near your location, and one may be right for you.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys:

Thanks for the input so far. All good stuff. Actually, yes, I meant Electrohome 8500 (rather than Metrohome - I must have had metronome on my brain from the audio side of this hobby).

So it sounds like I can support the projector from the ceiling given some modification. One thing though is that I'm renting, and the ceiling doesn't have panels or anyhing - I guess it would require some intrusive drilling/cutting to get structure in place. I guess I'll consider it. 9 feet from the screen would be very doable. I may even start with floor mounting and play it by year. Paying for the calibration and installation etc is tempting, adn if I had my own house, it's definitely what I'd do, but I may move in a year or so, and then the installation expense may be wasted, so I'll have to think carefully about it. Thanks for the advice though - it's a good point.

Thanks to all for input. Cheers,

John.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys:

Thanks for the input so far. All good stuff. Actually, yes, I meant Electrohome 8500 (rather than Metrohome - I must have had metronome on my brain from the audio side of this hobby).

So it sounds like I can support the projector from the ceiling given some modification. One thing though is that I'm renting, and the ceiling doesn't have panels or anyhing - I guess it would require some intrusive drilling/cutting to get structure in place. I guess I'll consider it. 9 feet from the screen would be very doable. I may even start with floor mounting and play it by year. Paying for the calibration and installation etc is tempting, adn if I had my own house, it's definitely what I'd do, but I may move in a year or so, and then the installation expense may be wasted, so I'll have to think carefully about it. Thanks for the advice though - it's a good point.

Thanks to all for input. Cheers,

John.

· Registered
722 Posts
Ive had a crt floor mounted only so far and I am very exited about getting it out of the way so i can sit directly under it ! Dont sit under 200lbs of glass and radio active metal if its not properly secured. There are 4 8501 LC's in your price range in jacksonville.

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Hmm, I had posted post #2 a while ago, but it seems that my post is gone, and mercury got post 2... I guess AVS has decided I wasn't worthy enough to post in this thread. :)

I guess its just a hiccup... *shrug*

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Chris - figures I'd pick the unpopular thread to post in. :) Here's my original response:

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnetbiz

1) Can I somehow mount such a heavy projector on the ceiling of my room given that my ceiling doesn't seem to have any good structural support at the appropriate point in the ceiling?? The point would be close to the back wall of the room, but my couch would be there, so I couldn't easily do a ground-based support for the projector.
No, you really need to lag these into 3 ceiling joists with 6 lag bolts to keep them up there and still sleep at night. The projector weights far too much to hang it from sheetrock or anything but a good, strong structural member that can take the added weight. The Barco 808 is a pretty heavy machine (I've got one), you don't want to mess around with it not being tied up there properly.

Quote:

2) Could I place the projector on a table that could be wheeled away as needed, or does the projector have to 'stay put' to remain calibrated? If I do wheel it into place as needed, would re-calibration be manageable?
Sure, if you like wasting 8 hours before every movie. Don't move a CRT once its installed, even an inch. If you do, you'll be going back to a full setup before the next movie. If moving the set is necessary for you, I'd strongly recommend you go with a digital projector, as it will throw a better picture than a CRT (for the same amount of setup work - aka 5 minutes).

Quote:

Check in the HTPC forum. Most favor an ATI Radeon card, and your CPU might be too slow, but that entirely depends on if your video card offers enough hardware acceleration to assist a software DVD player. For DScaler use, this might be too slow of a machine.

Quote:

4) Noise from the projector would bother me, unless its drowned out by the HTPC - so quieter projectors would be preferable.

I find that the 808 is a very quiet machine. Sort of like turning on a small window fan to "slow" speed while watching TV. Yes, you can hear it, but after about 5 minutes its totally tuned out. During quiet dialog scenes we do hear our 808, but we can also still easily hear the actors. During action scenes, we can't even hear the 808 over the sound system.

Quote:

5) While I'm tech savvy to some extent, I'm not that tech savvy, and would err on the side of spending more to get more reliability, ease of use and eas set-up and maintenance, rather than spending less for a bargain.
Purchase a CRT from a vendor that backs his sets. There's many on this forum who resell CRTs as a business, and who are outstanding both in their work and the support they offer. Curt, Terry, etc. usually back every set they sell and troubleshoot it with you. Perhaps the only mistake I made was not getting my projector from one of them. ;-)

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I went ahead and purchased an Electrohome 8500 from CRTCinema. It's the one with the nice chassis with the black automotive finish. I also forked out for a new HTPC from cellarcinemas.com, which includes the 'clarity circuit'. Overall, I should have potential for a very good image. I expect delivery some time next week. Fingers crossed I can navigate set-up OK. Thanks folks for all the help so far, and I'm sure I'll continue to need your assistance as I pursue set-up and callibration etc. Glad to be a new member of the CRT club. Cheers,

John.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.