Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks:

I'm a newbie to the CRT space, and having been focused on getting a new DLP projector, I'm finally coming around to the fact that I'll likely be way happier with a CRT. Image quality is of paramount importance to me, and I don't mind having to do some tweaking if need be. I'm thinking of spending about $3k, but could spend more if really needed. I'm currently using a dalite screen that's 80inches across (I believe), I have controlled lighting in the room, and can use a HTPC if my curret PC meets the demands. I'll be using the projector for DVDs only for now, but would like to pursue HDTV later on.

Could you offer any advice to me on projectors to consider?

I have been looking at either a Barco 808 or a Metrohome 8500. In particular I'm very keen on the couple of Metrohome 8500s that have shown up on eBay with the custom chassis:

http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...category=32862

Although, would a wear of '6' on the green bulb be worrying?

There are a few newbie questions I have and I'd be soo appreciative if I could get answers to these. Many thanks in advance for all your help. I'm sooo keen to get up and running with a CRT, but I'm hopeful of navigating the challenges with minimum hassle.

1) Can I somehow mount such a heavy projector on the ceiling of my room given that my ceiling doesn't seem to have any good structural support at the appropriate point in the ceiling?? The point would be close to the back wall of the room, but my couch would be there, so I couldn't easily do a ground-based support for the projector.

2) Could I place the projector on a table that could be wheeled away as needed, or does the projector have to 'stay put' to remain calibrated? If I do wheel it into place as needed, would re-calibration be manageable?

3). I have PC that should be usable for home theatre, but would I need to make any modificaitions to it to be up to scratch? It's a 800MH P3, 512MB, NVidia GeForce 2.

4) Noise from the projector would bother me, unless its drowned out by the HTPC - so quieter projectors would be preferable.

5) While I'm tech savvy to some extent, I'm not that tech savvy, and would err on the side of spending more to get more reliability, ease of use and eas set-up and maintenance, rather than spending less for a bargain.

Well, that's it really. Again, any and all advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance, and appologies if any of my questions were dumb or have been answered elsewhere. Cheers,

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnetbiz

1) Can I somehow mount such a heavy projector on the ceiling of my room given that my ceiling doesn't seem to have any good structural support at the appropriate point in the ceiling?? The point would be close to the back wall of the room, but my couch would be there, so I couldn't easily do a ground-based support for the projector.
No, you really need to lag these into 3 ceiling joists with 6 lag bolts to keep them up there and still sleep at night. The projector weights far too much to hang it from sheetrock or anything but a good, strong structural member that can take the added weight. The Barco 808 is a pretty heavy machine (I've got one), you don't want to mess around with it not being tied up there properly.

Quote:

2) Could I place the projector on a table that could be wheeled away as needed, or does the projector have to 'stay put' to remain calibrated? If I do wheel it into place as needed, would re-calibration be manageable?
Sure, if you like wasting 8 hours before every movie. Don't move a CRT once its installed, even an inch. If you do, you'll be going back to a full setup before the next movie. If moving the set is necessary for you, I'd strongly recommend you go with a digital projector, as it will throw a better picture than a CRT (for the same amount of setup work - aka 5 minutes).

Quote:

3). I have PC that should be usable for home theatre, but would I need to make any modificaitions to it to be up to scratch? It's a 800MH P3, 512MB, NVidia GeForce 2.
Check in the HTPC forum. Most favor an ATI Radeon card, and your CPU might be too slow, but that entirely depends on if your video card offers enough hardware acceleration to assist a software DVD player. For DScaler use, this might be too slow of a machine.

Quote:

4) Noise from the projector would bother me, unless its drowned out by the HTPC - so quieter projectors would be preferable.

I find that the 808 is a very quiet machine. Sort of like turning on a small window fan to "slow" speed while watching TV. Yes, you can hear it, but after about 5 minutes its totally tuned out. During quiet dialog scenes we do hear our 808, but we can also still easily hear the actors. During action scenes, we can't even hear the 808 over the sound system.

Quote:

5) While I'm tech savvy to some extent, I'm not that tech savvy, and would err on the side of spending more to get more reliability, ease of use and eas set-up and maintenance, rather than spending less for a bargain.
Purchase a CRT from a vendor that backs his sets. There's many on this forum who resell CRTs as a business, and who are outstanding both in their work and the support they offer. Curt, Terry, etc. usually back every set they sell and troubleshoot it with you. Perhaps the only mistake I made was not getting my projector from one of them. ;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.