AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the majority uses for their computer monitors....

i would assume CRT :cool: but i would assume some people go for the space savings..... :(

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Main monitor is a 21" CRT, 1600x1200 @120 Hz, lets see an LCD do that ;-) I have 2 LCD's, one in the HT, one in the bedroom. I also have a couple of 17" CRT's in racks and such.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I have a dual monitor setup. Main monitor is a 21" trinitron, and side is a 15" NEC. I keep all the fluff and helper apps on the small one so I can use the full desktop on the large monitor. The flat LCD is nice, but it just can't compete with the CRT for image quality.

Marc

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and it goes back to image quality....

actually my University got some new computers in the library with some 17" lcds.... they look horrible, my roomate has a 15" dell which looks good (dvi) but they must have been using vga and had the brightness turned up all the way.... grey text looks very strange

i still like my 17" viewsonic even though its got some chips in it from lugging it to LAN parties

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
14" Socos SVGA monitor circa early 90s as my main monitor. Must divert all monitor funds into FP CRT fund! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a dual monitor setup also, main monitor is a 21" trinitron and the other a 19" trinitron. Gotta love those sony's!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Would never trade in my NEC monitor(BNC/RGBHV) for a LCD

display...I play games a lot, so CRT is the way.

Nicholas

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I guess I am in the minority here I have a 17" flat panel 1280X1024 at home and love it. I also use one at work for application development and really like it also. I am writing this lying on my couch on a notebook with a wireless Ethernet connection....Talk about lazy.

Now I will go on record as saying for home theater I think we are still a long long time away from digital replacing CRT as King of the Hill.

Mike

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi

Philips 17" CRT main and 15" for HT tweaking.

Would love a 19/21" or TFT, but they are still way too expensive in this neck of the woods.

Mark

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
I just got my new KDS 17" monitor a few weeks ago for just $100.00. I'm running at 1280 X 1024 with a voodo card greater than 2. Those LCD ones had little pixels in it and the contrast made my eyes hurt.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
This is pretty easy actually.

If you want accurate color representation, CRT is the ONLY way to go. If you read a lot of text based content, then LCD is the ONLY way to go.

LCD is EXCELLENT for reading text. Refresh rates and scan is nearly non-existent. You will have no eye fatigue compared to a CRT.

BUT, if you do a lot of graphic development as I do, then CRT is the only way to work. LCD doesn't do ANY justice to subtle color changes and gradients.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Financial analist here, 90% of the time at the office on excel sheets...

LCD was a big relief for my eyes!

·
Registered
864 Posts
If the resolution of a given LCD is enough for you, LCD is much better for you eyes. I have worked with both types for a long time, including very good 21" CRT. Now, if you are using a drawing deisgn SW requiring very high res, things would be the opposite.

GK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.