AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea and need some ideas thrown around.

I want to put a Sony 1272 in an outside patio, or in an uninsulated garage.

How crazy am I and what do you think if I create a sealed enclosure with a weatherproof vent door that I can open for air circulation.

It won't be in direct sunlight or direct weather situation, it will only have to deal with spring, summer and fall temps. I'm thinking about having it out there from April/May to September/October.

Am I not thinking about something important here?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I wouldn't think a 1272 is going to be bright enough for an outdoor situation - too much ambient light even at night (stars, moon, street lights, UFO's, etc).

My 2 cents

·
Registered
448 Posts
A small heater 100 watts? with a thermostat to prevent the temps from going below the dew point.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's going to be used in the night for Monday Night games and other night time stuff.

Light won't be a problem because it's dead dark around here after the sun goes down.

It won't get much use, I'm just worried about the possible electronic problems.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Seems like you would want to put it on a GFI circuit. I don't know if a PJ will run on a GFI circuit - some appliances, like refrigerators, trip them all the time.

As for a cover, what about something canvas and zippered? Sort of like a BarBQ cover? Seems like that is all you would need.

Sounds fun though.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown
Seems like you would want to put it on a GFI circuit. I don't know if a PJ will run on a GFI circuit - some appliances, like refrigerators, trip them all the time.
None of my appliances trip the GFI circuits, just as an FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck19111
I want to put a Sony 1272 in an outside patio, or in an uninsulated garage.
Since outdoor is probably not going to be an optimal viewing environment (acoustics, etc), this is usually done more for "fun" and not critical viewing. For non-critical viewing, a cheap flashlight PJ is probably acceptable and would be much easier for you.

Dave

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
On a very small scale, CCTV camera enclosures have a blower and a heater to keep dew off the PC boards and the glass window. You'd need to do the same for the CRT on a larger scale, but I wouldn't run the set in winter.

:)

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I do it every Halloween. 9"LC and a 120" pull-down screen and surround sound. As long as you fire up the projector early enough so that it does'nt condensate you should be OK. If you wait till late at night to turn it on, you would run into trouble.

Chip

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking a wood box, vapor barrier and foam board insulation. Then a vent and fan to circulate the air. If I foam up the doors for the vents, I can close them and keep the bugs out when it's not in use, and it should keep out the dampness too.

The patio is not a 4 season patio, so the winter will not be an issue.

Can I keep a 1271 in the cold as storage. Will the fluid in the lenses freeze up?

I just bought a G70 and I have two of these 12XX sitting around. I don't want to buy another PJ for the patio project so this sony is what I am trying to use.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
The 12xx is basically disposeable to you now anyway right? (Hardly sell for enough to bother with) I say go for it, just keep in mind if you want itto last you need to still take care of it somewhat.

If it ends up giving you trouble parts are cheap, and no big loss.

There would be no issue with temperature swings other than convergence stability or slight condensation. The coolant *cant* freeze. I cant count the number of times I have fired up garage stored freezing cold pj's without letting them warm up and they've been fine so far. I woulld not do it to a really nice pj, but have all the time to lesser models.

Troy

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Is there an option for a rear projection setup? You could keep all the equipment inside, or at least inside garage.

Marshall

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.