AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for other people's thoughts who have come from similar backgrounds....

Tonight I finally had the opportunity to do an AB comparison between 5th Element Superbit DVD on a G70, and Blu Ray onto the Pearl.

I used the same screen, and just capped the lenses, and kept em running when not in use.

IMHO - I didnt see that huge of a difference, It wasnt the WOW I thought it would be. Yes the Blu Ray / Pearl Combo was more detailed but not by a huge margin.

I tried the same comparison with XXX, similar results...

1. As a SONY G70 owner I had an incredible picture from DVD's via sdi into an Iscan-HD.

2. The Pearl Puts out an amazing picture as well, but IMHO in different ways.

It has more detail, and less CR, and I am wondering if thats why I didnt feel all that impressed with the Pearl / Blu Ray combo compared to my Denon 3910 sdi > Iscan-HD.

Could it be the lack of depth of the Pearl compared to the G70?

Keep in mind both the G70, and the Pearl have been tweaked to the MAX, I am a anal nutjob when it comes to this.....

Anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Do you know if 5th Element is a good BR disc? Some of the BR discs were done so poorly they supposedly didn't look much better than a standard DVD. If the transfer is good the difference in detail should be significant.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am comparing yesterdays technology ie CRT and DVD, to todays cutting edge....

·
Registered
11,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjackson /forum/post/0

I am comparing yesterdays technology ie CRT and DVD, to todays cutting edge....

I understand, my point was simply that you need to first compare the two DVD's on the Pearl to be able to draw any meaningful (at least to me) conclusions about the other comparison. In other words, if you compare the two on the Pearl and discover there is little difference, then how could you expect to see it when comparing the two PJ's? That would tell you for instance that you might want to search out some other BR discs.

I could be wrong but I thought for sure 5th Element was on of the transfers i read about that was done so poorly on BR there was little difference.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ /forum/post/0

I understand, my point was simply that you need to first compare the two DVD's on the Pearl to be able to draw any meaningful (at least to me) conclusions about the other comparison. In other words, if you compare the two on the Pearl and discover there is little difference, then how could you expect to see it when comparing the two PJ's? That would tell you for instance that you might want to search out some other BR discs.

I could be wrong but I thought for sure 5th Element was on of the transfers i read about that was done so poorly on BR there was little difference.

The fifth element on Blu-Ray was so poor and they received so many complaints that Sony announed that they were going to release it again on BR, it is only the same quality level as the DVD Superbit transfer. I would try something that most people agree is reference quality on BR in order to make a fair comparison (Kingdom of Heaven, Blackhawk Down etc). Below is a thread on the quality of BR transfers so you can choose a reasonable title to do a fair comparison with.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=753726

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would recomment also looking at a DLP display as well, to compare. I went from a Sony 1251

(not as good as a G70 of course) to a 1080p DLP display and watching HD DVD on both displays was a revelation in terms of detail, brightness and saturation. The contrast range is

very good when there are dark and bright images in the frame. In scenes that are dark everywhere, a CRT excels. I am happy I entered the digital display age.

Jeff Regan

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The movie 5th element is not the demo you want to use when comparing standard DVD to BRD.

The Fifth Element Standard DVD is reference quality -- a great recording.

The Fifth Element BRD is a travesty, a wreck. The only BRD I've heard complained about more often is House of Flying Daggers.

I also think you have to decide whether you're trying to compare projectors or compare source. If your goal is to compare projectors, keep the source the same (same player, same disc). If your goal is to compare source, keep the projector the same.

The more variables you introduce the harder it is to really compare anything.

If what you're trying to do is compare both machines with the best possible source, and if for some reason source A is not compatible with projector B, at least make sure you are using a reference quality source on each projector, but you may never get a satisfactory comparison with so many variables.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, I should stick to one source and or projector to make comparisons.

So, I tried the Superbit Version of The 5th element on the pearl. It looked almost the same.

Then I tried the Blu Ray Version on the G70, same results as well.

I think you guys are right about it being a crap transfer to Blu Ray.

I am going to pick up one of the movies mentioned in tghe other thread that seems to gain high regard and try these tests again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.