AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Banned
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - if a little coordination was considered during this last G-auction then some money could be saved by all.

Pete

Currently working at Redstone Arsenal (a little hint)

· Banned
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More than it was worth - was a good drop. but it did have a barco mount so thats a small consolation prize to the winner.

Non S model as well.

My earlier comments (another thread) about the pictures being taken way before the auction takes place and then damage happens - this was the one I was describing.....

· Registered
711 Posts
Those various Barco's here went from $400-$600.

· Banned
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
S-

I might be able to ship mine out to VDC tomorrow - will have to talk to J at VDC.

Mark - that was over my budget (clarence's influence) for what I would get from "another" spare BG808. I mainly wanted the mount.

Pete

S-

What might your "reseller" friend charge for the hardware swap - cheaper than VDC?

· Registered
711 Posts
You are right about that. Did you see what the NEC's went for? IF they are in prime shape that was a great buy for someone. Unfortunately didn't have that laying around to burn. Miami vs. Louisville still looks great on my 57000 hour Barco 800.

· Premium Member
17,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by secstate
A friend of mine that is reseller said he was going to try one in a Marquee so he might beat you do it. He was in the process of transfering the hardware last weekend.
From the first retro batch of Ampro tubes a couple of months ago (tough?) or the second batch a few weeks ago (easier?)?

· Registered
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clarence
From the first retro batch of Ampro tubes a couple of months ago (tough?) or the second batch a few weeks ago (easier?)?
First batch so tough, very tough. He hadn gotten all the Ampro retro stuff off in about an hour. The reattachment was going to take longer he thought. Z--I don't think he would be cheaper assuming $100 or thereabouts is what VDC is charging per tube. My friend figured it would take 2-3 hours per tube. .

· Registered
1,548 Posts
Pete,

Was the photo you posted one of thetwo 1208/2 that was g auction'd today in your area?

How are the tubes ... are there tubes? How about boards and higher failure rate comps?

I have a 1208/2, and am looking for a parts machine. Saw a couple of them g auctions. I'm too far away to inspect prior to an auction ... so is it nuts to buy one of these if you can't see it ahead of time? The bbatle 'bg808 startup problems' thread gave me serious pause about getting one from a g auction.

Thanks,

Jonathan

· Banned
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
J-

Yes

Ok - slight wear on the 1208/2 - they do not let me turn them on - usually.

They all had boards - the 1208/2 were fairly banged up

Would make decent "parts" machines(except for the one that was dropped).- Bidding on the auctions is a crap shoot if you can not view in person - so bid accordingly (ie clarence like). Two of the three were badly mislabeled- so you need to know what each model looks like - I only know barcos - and can tell most of them apart most of the time.

Pete

· Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I guess I did get lucky when I bid on the BG808S that was in Columbus a few months back. It was described as a data 808. I went to get it and low and behold it was a BG 808S. Goog and bad, right. I thought, well I'm screwed if it hasd bad tubes. To my surprise the thing is damn near perfect. So, count me one of the lucky ones. I wonder what kind of condition those 808 in FL were? Anybody here win one?

· Registered
16,014 Posts
I won the bid on some AmPros at Huntsville a couple years back.

What a hassle. They searched every square centimeter of my truck.

Then they find a bottle of whiskey in a box inside the bed that I didn't even know was there. They confiscated it. Must have wanted to party when they got off duty. Then they didn't want to accept my proof of insurance card. The same insurance card I've never had a problem with at any base.

I had told them I had driven 450 miles. Made no difference. They sent me packing. So I drove on out and got the Gov Liq dude on the phone. After another hour he convinced them to let me in.

Not even if a mint G90 was going for ten bucks would I ever want to go back there again.

· Banned
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Robert-

You should try to get into Anniston. Talk about a pain.

Redstone is very unsual in the amount of "stuff" that is on base. But now you know who to call.... As I go on base every day..

Pete

I did not look at the Eglin BG 808s too hard - although I did notice that two of them had extra short Lenses - maybe retro setups.

If I go to the beach it is to do a model swimsuit shoot... :)

re-Pete

· Registered
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Z-Photo
Robert-

You should try to get into Anniston. Talk about a pain.

Redstone is very unsual in the amount of "stuff" that is on base. But now you know who to call.... As I go on base every day..

Pete

I did not look at the Eglin BG 808s too hard - although I did notice that two of them had extra short Lenses - maybe retro setups.

If I go to the beach it is to do a model swimsuit shoot... :)

re-Pete
Each base is different. Some of the Government Liquidation centers are not even on base (Norfolk for example).

Z--the "extra short lenses" usually mean the CRTs are removed, at least that has been my experience (pre-purchase NOT post-purchase).

Just looked up what the "special" extra short lens models went for. Dang somebody is gong to be unhappy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.