AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for my first big-screen TV. i know absolutely nothing about projection TVs. the main attraction is for the same price, i can get a much bigger TV as opposed to normal CRT.

my questions are:

what kind of maintenance is involved in owning a projection TV? i know of a friend who has an older sony projection TV that looks great for its age. he sayes that every year he has to have a technician clean and adjust the display. is this procedure expensive? do the newer models require this kind of care in operation? also, how durable/reliable are projection TVs? i have a hand-me-down sony trinitron thats probably 10-15 years old, the picture still looks good, and ive never had a problem with it. im assuming projection TVs are nowhere near this long-lasting.

basically im willing to throw down $2000 on a nice TV, but not if reliability is an issue, and especially not if i have to spend $200 a year to keep it in working order.

any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
It sounds to me like you're in the wrong forum. No problem though, this is for front-projection CRTs, i.e. 3-gun CRT projectors that you use with a screen.

This forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=63

is for REar-projection TVs. These are most often rear-projection CRTs, which work in the same way as a front-projection CRT, except the image is projected onto the screen from the rear, and enclosed in one big box. Now, however, there are other projection technologies, namely digital projection (digital tends to be a 4-letter word around here :p ). Anyway, you'll want to head over there and ask about RPTVs.

You may be surprised, though, that used FP CRTs can be had for 2K that will blow away any RPTV for that price, IMO, plus you can have a 10-foot screen if you want. It is however, a significant project. Browse away!

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.