AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this in the crt projection forum, this might be a better place for it......

im looking for my first big-screen TV. i know absolutely nothing about projection TVs. the main attraction is for the same price, i can get a much bigger TV as opposed to normal CRT.

my questions are:

what kind of maintenance is involved in owning a projection TV? i know of a friend who has an older sony projection TV that looks great for its age. he sayes that every year he has to have a technician clean and adjust the display. is this procedure expensive? do the newer models require this kind of care in operation? also, how durable/reliable are projection TVs? i have a hand-me-down sony trinitron thats probably 10-15 years old, the picture still looks good, and ive never had a problem with it. im assuming projection TVs are nowhere near this long-lasting.

basically im willing to throw down $2000 on a nice TV, but not if reliability is an issue, and especially not if i have to spend $200 a year to keep it in working order.

any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The longevity will depend on the use,and how the settings are used,about 8 years or so is reasonable,as far as cleaning I just cleaned my 61XBR,and other than vacuuming ,the mirror wasn't dusty at all.I've had a front and three rear projection Sony sets since 82,my total maintance cost is about $200.00 dollars.Enjoy

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the cleaning is something i can do myself? what about calibration? is this just a matter of time a patience? also, is crt-projection the way to go for my price range? or are there other projection TVs i should consider?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.