AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not DJ Fogger, the latest hip hop sensation, but one of those fog machines...

How incompatible is a DJ fog machine with a CRT projector?

I guess I have two parts to the question, first is using both at the same time (WinAmp visualization and fog for a dance party) and if that's too horendous for the PJ, how about just using the fogger (with the CRT turned off, but in the same room).

I've never used one of the machines, so I don't know what kind of mess (if any) it leaves behind in the room, nor how much it would harm a projector (leaving a residue inside, etc).

CRT is a ceiling mounted G70 if that makes any difference. Room is 16x17x12.

Thanks,

---Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I have parties we crank up the fog machine in my house. I have never noticed any residue or mess. You can breath it without any problems also. I would not run it in the same room as my PJ though. Just a possible risk I don't want to take.

Dan

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I'm in the middle of servicing a bunch of H output module from some MArquees. THere was a post about the nightclub that these Marquees are installed in (somewhere in Toronto, the owner is a forum member), and these boards are apparently going down left, right and center.

NO specific single problem, but all I can peg it to is the smoke juice in the room. It's water based, water itself is not conductive, but mixed with almost anything it is, so I would not do it. What a waste of a G 70 anyways..:)

But I have installed the older Zenith video only projectors for years into smoke and smoke juice filled bars, and have never had any problems.

Curt

·
Registered
525 Posts
This thread reminds me of my DJ days as a high School kid...

I built a light organ that converted an audio signal into AC with 3 channels to run lighting (lights flashed with the music), some joker thought it was funny to blow cigarette smoke into the unit and then shout it was on fire!!!

Funny now, but not then!

As for the projector holding up, I have installed a few 1252's in bars/clubs with no issues, but the fog smoke does not tend to hang out on the ceiling anyway, it sinks quickly...

Nick

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
The fog juice sometimes can leave a very thin oily feel. YES even the water based fluids. I did find once using it that my DJ mixer cleaned up very nicely and the faders were silky smooth after I fogged up the DJ booth in a club I was DJing in years ago.

I dont beleive it will hurt the PJ as it doesetn hurt intelligent lights in clubs but I would NOT want to chance it with such a hight end PJ. Thats what LCD projectors and DLP projectors are for :)

Enough talk about that because I have an idea for lighting I dont want to leek out. :)

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I have felt that oily/sticky slime, from a surplus electric screen I got that I am told must have gotten the slime from the fog machines. That stuff really built up a serious residue.

Maybe it takes a while to build up to the level I saw, but sure enough it was there and pretty damn heavy. Had to scrub the screen both front and back what a pain...

Troy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Most fog juice contains Glycerine with the water mixture. Water will eventually evaporate and leave the residue, thus you have sticky.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I can weigh in on the fogger and "visualizations". I tried that downstairs just out of morbid curiosity with my projector. All it did was soak up all the light coming out of the machine and lit up the room with the "illuminated" smoke. It didn't have some cool 3-d effect or anything like that. I did it just once when I bought a fogger at Menards for halloween.

-Garrick

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I invited Cheech over once to view a projector. Had to kick him out though. Come to think of it, I can't even remember why I invited him over..;)

Curt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.