Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

Whats the cheapest but superb, excellent and satisfying CRT projector in the market? Its time to vote....lets include t he prices to make it more comparable.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My vote BG801s bang for the buck is hard to beat.

$1500 from Curt Palme with "minty" tubes.

You can find them much cheaper, but not with Curt's support.

Maybe you should define cheapest, I agree with xanatos, but the BG808 and 1292 are not cheap and the tubes can be very costly.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
for the 7 inch buy the sony 1272

for a great 8 inch projector the mighty barco 808

and for a great buy on a 9 inch projector the mighty SONY 1292

AND TO GO ALONG WITH THESE FINE PROJECTORS BUY A CURVED SCREEN

OTHERS HEAR WILL NOT AGREE THEY ARE WRONG AND I`AM RIGHT

:D :D

XANATOS

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
The Sony VPH 1031Q (for the buck)

The NEC series PG plus or extra (for the buck) in a rgbhv compatible projector (not needing negitive sync) to run.

After that we go to the 8" and where the controversy begins. In that realm I vote for the XG (any), one click below that the Electrahome.

Its hard to say because so much depends on the set-up of any projector and the room environment. What you do there will factor in (for the buck). Doug

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have never seen one personally, but I have heard many on this forum mention that Ampro projectors are the best bang for buck leader. I would have liked to buy one myself but they are not very common on the market.

Some other personal comments:

The Barco 800 uses the same tubes as the sony 1272 and Barco 801 yet sells much cheaper. An 800 can produce a stunning picture as a 1272 or 801 but for way less money.

As for the electromagnetic 8 inchers, the Barco 1208 has better specifications than Barco 808 but sells much cheaper. It totally makes no sense to me why people pay more for less when they choose an 808 over the 1208.

I think the older Marquee's are a decent value too. Older Marquees don't have the fancy options, but they still have 8 inch MEC tubes, electromagnetic focus, rugged construction; and most important, a competitive price.

The Runco, NEC PG and XG series and Sony G series are always talked about as being on top of the pack, but they are also really expensive compared to their counterparts from Ampro, Barco and Marquee; at least thats what it seems like to me.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
the 808 is a more stable projector

xanatos

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I would think the higher end PJ's are a better deal. The reason for this is that you may buy a lesser PJ, but you will in the end, have a higher end model. So cut to the chase and get what you really want.

Deron

·
Registered
446 Posts
I vote for the G70 nice solid unit easy of setup more focus settings and dynamic picture

and parts cost are reasonable

I would rather the G70 than the 1292

also my Barco graphic 800 very nice unit and quite cheap also a great image this is a great starter Pj also ease of setup

·
Registered
385 Posts
My vote is for and 8 inch setup is a Barco Graphics 808 with NRS-720P...outstanding picture....I believe is rivals the NEC XG series. And my personal favorite 9 inch setup is my Sony 1292 with DVP-5000 at 1080P....absolutley incredable. For 7 inch....it's really hard to beat the value of the Sony 1272 for the quality it provides when setup properly and mated with the proper video processor. Just my two cents guys!!!

~reg152

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well let me define CHEAPEST first;

CHEAPEST - the lowest price CRT projector in that category such as 7", 8" and 9"., but this doesnt mean that it will be least choice youll gonna make. it just "the best BANG for the BUCK!

it will be more informative if youll gonna include the price, category and the place you got them if possible.

enjoy

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My Experience

Really Cheap (5.5"): Sony 1031 ($300-500)

Still cheap (7"): Sony 1270 ($1000-1500)

Cheap (8"): E-home Marquee 8000 ($1500-2500)

Not so Cheap (9"): nothing yet.

that's the limit of my experince.

Curt Palme is awsome. Talk to him over the phone for ten minutes and the next thing you know he's sending you replacement parts. MUCH better warranty than if you bought it new! I really cant say enough good things about him, and he's in Canada!

Wes

·
Registered
359 Posts
This question comes up now and then... you always get some people suggesting NEC pg series, Sony 12nn series, Barco's 800's, some even venture into ampro and ecp's. The bottom line is best bang for the buck changes from day to day - even in used stuff - sometimes you can snag a good deal sometimes not. But everyone has there own preference - Mine belongs in the NEC camp.

- So I'd have to say that the best bang for the buck would be the NEC PG series (6000 & 9000 's can be found cheap).

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Er. I see no one mentioning ECP 4xxx series PJs. These are excellent PJ's for the 7" range, I really like the 4100/4500. Properly setup they're as good as it gets for their price range, $800-1,500.

R-S

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My first projector cost $211. I still use it in my HT. It is a Barco 701S. It only had 490 hours.

(I've bought more PJs since, and paid more as well. Now I know the value of these PJs.)

For me, that was a great BANG for my BUCK.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi ryn0128;

My only experience so far has been this. I bought an Electrohome 8501LC sight unseen from Cinemasource. I got their name from Tim at Etech as a good source for used machines that were not rebuilt. I missed out on the first batch, and they sent me a message when they got some new ones. I took the best gamble at 4000 hrs and NO BURNS according to them. The machine came as described and after sitting in my friends house for about 9 months (as ours was not done) I finally mounted it on the ceiling on July 2nd. Tim Martin came up and did the squeeze mod and some tune up including software upgrade. We mounted it and he did the set up on my projector, and on the NRS. I have been thoroughly satisfied with my investment. I have less than $3,600.00 into hardware excluding the processor. I had about $500.00 into set up.

We are putting 4-6 hrs a day on the machine on the weekends, and 2-3 on the weekdays. We watch everything from Hi def to Barney. I have to say it is one of the best entertainment investments I have made. I got very lucky and got a great machine. Tim felt it was in excellent shape. I think that we will get as much life as we want out of it until something better comes along. Which I have not seen yet except for 9 inch machines like the G-90 and the 9500 etc.

Good Luck

Brett

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.