AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '04 Mitsubishi just went to **** & I'm looking for a replacement


I would like to get a projector which would be the better choice CRT or Digital?


Basically what are the pro's & con's of each technology
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,355 Posts
Oh boy here we go again !!!!!



Athansios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/14206545


Oh boy here we go again !!!!!



Athansios

lol I just want to know what would be better also I play a lot of video game's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,355 Posts
there are many arguments, one thing though if you play alot of video games is the refresh on Crts can go much higher and also its a faster redraw which is great for fast moving objects, you do not get that comet trail affect as much. Aslo they last a lot longer but have more up keep, With an old CRT you can keep fixing them with most Digital once they are out of warranty they are in the trash.I have accumulated a few Marquee projectors and my oldes is from 1994 and works great one board since i owned it went bad and I had the spare PJ to replace it . Parts are everywhere and its usually just pulling aboard and swapping a new one and your ready to ga after reconvergance and set up. If you like to tinker CRT is for you, its a fun Hobby.


Athanasios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/14206707


there are many arguments, one thing though if you play alot of video games is the refresh on Crts can go much higher and also its a faster redraw which is great for fast moving objects, you do not get that comet trail affect as much. Aslo they last a lot longer but have more up keep, With an old CRT you can keep fixing them with most Digital once they are out of warranty they are in the trash.I have accumulated a few Marquee projectors and my oldes is from 1994 and works great one board since i owned it went bad and I had the spare PJ to replace it . Parts are everywhere and its usually just pulling aboard and swapping a new one and your ready to ga after reconvergance and set up. If you like to tinker CRT is for you, its a fun Hobby.


Athanasios

What about bowing & other convergence issue's I've never had a CRT projector just CRT projection tv's & the up keep is a ***** & far from perfect.Do both CRT & Digital projector's suffer from these convergence issue's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Digitals are great. You could just plug them in, adjust focus and lens shift and be up and running.


CRT however is a hobby. if you want to learn how it works and how to set it up and accept that you have to spend a lot of time with it. I say go for it.

I can't wait to start playing games on my Marquee. I has taken many hours of bleeding tubes, setting up, finding a better chassie and do it all over again, fixing color filtered lenses, fixing adapters. And then I have many hours of setting it up ahead if me. Sticking my hands near 34.9kV tinkering with magnetics. Hours of convergence. Not to mention mechanical setup.

Yep it's a hobby.


So you see. There is no VS. Only different requirements.


*edit* both suffer from convergence error. On a CRT you can correct it. On a digital you can't. Many hours of pure fun if you are picky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Web /forum/post/14206873


Digitals are great. You could just plug them in, adjust focus and lens shift and be up and running.


CRT however is a hobby. if you want to learn how it works and how to set it up and accept that you have to spend a lot of time with it. I say go for it.

I can't wait to start playing games on my Marquee. I has taken many hours of bleeding tubes, setting up, finding a better chassie and do it all over again, fixing color filtered lenses, fixing adapters. And then I have many hours of setting it up ahead if me. Sticking my hands near 34.9kV tinkering with magnetics. Hours of convergence. Not to mention mechanical setup.

Yep it's a hobby.


So you see. There is no VS. Only different requirements.


*edit* both suffer from convergence error. On a CRT you can correct it. On a digital you can't. Many hours of pure fun if you are picky.

So basically your saying both CRT & Digital projector's have overall the same picture but CRT projector's need more maintenance right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiv_R_A_I_D_E_R_ /forum/post/14207012


So basically your saying both CRT & Digital projector's have overall the same picture but CRT projector's need more maintenance right?

This is where the argeumants come in, it all depends on what you want, and how long you plan on keeping your PJ. Us CRT guys love the film like image of CRT and the "tweeking" capabilities of CRT. Digitals are basicaly plug , go, then eventually throw
. CRT's can last forever basicaly, if you find a set with nice tubes you should have at leat 5000-10000 hours of veiwing before needing new tubes, they dim far slower than a digitals bulb, after only 100 hours a digitals buld looses almost 20% output whereas a tube will loose nothing in that same period of time. You have to see both in person to decide for yourself.


Read this http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.shtm there is a lot of great info there.


Like i said you need to seea good set up crt to apreciate it. Post your location and I am sure someone near you would love to show off CRT for you.


Athanasios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
CRT will look better unless you throw a lot of money in a good digital.


For me it was the hobby and guilt free hours. Cheapness wasn't bad ether. I was really not prepared to pay 4$+ per hour when I plan to game and watch movies for extended periods of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/14207113


This is where the argeumants come in, it all depends on what you want, and how long you plan on keeping your PJ. Us CRT guys love the film like image of CRT and the "tweeking" capabilities of CRT. Digitals are basicaly plug , go, then eventually throw
. CRT's can last forever basicaly, if you find a set with nice tubes you should have at leat 5000-10000 hours of veiwing before needing new tubes, they dim far slower than a digitals bulb, after only 100 hours a digitals buld looses almost 20% output whereas a tube will loose nothing in that same period of time. You have to see both in person to decide for yourself.


Read this http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.shtm there is a lot of great info there.


Like i said you need to seea good set up crt to apreciate it. Post your location and I am sure someone near you would love to show off CRT for you.


Athanasios

My biggest concern is burn-in my viewing habit is 70% video game's 15%movie's15% tv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
That is a concern. Static non-moving images (scores, heads-up displays, music sliders on Guitar Hero, whatever) can burn the tubes. This will happen over many hundreds or thousands of hours, but it can happen. Digital projectors don't have that issue.


I'm not a gamer but I know a lot of CRT gamers hate gaming on digitals because the shadow details suck compared to CRTs. Can't get the boojum in the shadows if you can't see him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where would I purchase a new CRT projector I can't seem to find any new one's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,510 Posts
Why do we have to tell you? If you don't see the merits of crt then get a digital and be done with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S /forum/post/14208160


Why do we have to tell you? If you don't see the merits of crt then get a digital and be done with it.

I'm just trying to gather some info man chill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
xiv, if I were you I'd dig around and find something like a Sony 12xx. They should be next to free at this point (I got one for free late last year) and it'll give you a good idea what's involved without much investment at all. The 12xxs in particular are easy to set up and technically pretty simple. You don't have to screw around with magnetics and 30000 volts if you don't want to; most of the guys here are saying "hundreds of hours of tweaking" because they want the last 1% or half% out of the image for HT use. You can get 95% of the way there in 20 or 30 hours. And with a $100 or less projector, it's no big yank if you toast the tubes. Just turn off the aiming crosshairs, and if you've got some HUD burn on the lower bit of the image, who cares? Only a n00b needs 'em anyway...



And to correct some (kinda) misinformation - digitals rarely have any kind of noticeable convergence problems. These guys are talking about hot-**** three panel DLPs that are on the bleeding edge and, it seems, suffer from teething problems. I use digital PJs in my work - LCD and DLP, three-panel for the LCDs - and have *NEVER*, repeat: NEVER found significant convergence errors. I've seen literally hundreds of them, and they're all installed on motion platforms that pound the ever-loving crap out of them.


The biggest practical negative of a digital is lamp life.


All that said, I've played a bunch of UT and Bioshock on my CRT PJs, and it's fantastic. You can run multiple, custom resolutions (want 1024x768? No problem. Want 1366x720? No problem. Want 1600x1200? No problem... etc) with no scaling artifacts, which is absolutely fantastic for gaming, and there's no smearing or latency.


So, again - get a cheap Sony 12xx or so, and play around. If you don't like it, throw it on craigslist and get your money back. If you do, you can always upgrade to something brighter/fancier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Well, I would say get a cheap low-end CRT for peanuts, play your games, burn the tubes, and see what you think after a couple of years. By then they'll be even cheaper, so just go get another one.


CRTs can be a lot of effort - I had to tweak the convergence on my Marquee every couple of months, but I don't have to touch anything on my NEC XG, and I've had it set up for over a year and a half.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriSoft /forum/post/14209414


And to correct some (kinda) misinformation - digitals rarely have any kind of noticeable convergence problems. These guys are talking about hot-**** three panel DLPs that are on the bleeding edge and, it seems, suffer from teething problems. I use digital PJs in my work - LCD and DLP, three-panel for the LCDs - and have *NEVER*, repeat: NEVER found significant convergence errors. I've seen literally hundreds of them, and they're all installed on motion platforms that pound the ever-loving crap out of them.

Just to give my 2c, I've only seen 6 digital projectors, and all of them had some degree of misconvergence. These projectors ranged from $500 up to $15000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS /forum/post/14210321


Just to give my 2c, I've only seen 6 digital projectors, and all of them had some degree of misconvergence. These projectors ranged from $500 up to $15000.

Hehe, the newbie if he really knew, would be addicted in a heart beat.




Man I miss those days.


Cliffy
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top