AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sets have removable screen shields? Does anyone have comments on Panasonics crt rear projection sets? Is 48'' or 47'' sets too big for viewing at 7.5 or 8 feet? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i think all crt-rp screens can be removed

some are easier than others

none are designed to be removed

i just got a hitachi 51 and i watch from 10 feet

with a 2.35:1 ratio movie with letterboxing, it is perfect

if i am watching a 1.85:1 ratio film with a very bright screen it can get a tad big but i wouldn't want to go smaller because i have a lot of action/big movies which tend to be 2.35:1

i would think you are right on for your viewing distance for a 48"

a 48" screen would double to 96" which equals 8 feet viewing distance

i would say for big screen crt, err on the side of going bigger

good luck!

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton
Is 48'' or 47'' sets too big for viewing at 7.5 or 8 feet? Thanks for any info.
At 8', a 64" screen is just right for the ~33--degree-wide image suitable for HD ( calculation, reference ). The forums have numerous posts from those regretting they didn't buy larger screens. Depends on whether viewers prefer the immersiveness potential of HD, and have images without built-in screen artifacts--possible with CRT RPTVs and some fixed-pixel displays. -- John

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inukshuk
i think all crt-rp screens can be removed

some are easier than others

none are designed to be removed
Before I bought, I wrote to Hitachi and asked about the protective screen and how to remove it. Their response was that it was integral to the TV and could not be removed.

To clarify:

Mitsubishi is designed to be removed. It has the procedure in the owners manual.

I have mine removed on a 65813 and glare has become nonexistant in a room that has floor to ceiling windows behind and on one side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.