AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations of CRTs that are capable of 1280x720(p) resolution when controlled by an HTPC. HDTV via sat decoder and DVDs (via HTPC *and* external changer) will be viewed.

Is the Sony 125x or 127x series capable of this quality? Looking to buy used, good quality set unless there's something new that is in the $2000-2500 price range... ??

Any other manufacturer recommendations? Do I need to think about 8" tube minimum or are there 7" tube models that can do the job?

Last requirement: must be able to generate a 55" diagonal picture - generally smaller than the specs I've seen on some CRT models. When specs say 70" minimum screen size, is that non-negotiable, or does it really depend on throw distance? Can a CRT focus at the distance it would have to be from the screen to give that image size?

Thanks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey Jimmer,

The Sony's are limited to 70 inch minimun diagonal and at that you have to change the CRT/Lens spacers . (Three different set are required, see the setup manual) You wont be able to mechanically focus the lenses.

1280X720 is at the limit of the Sony's IMHO. You need one with good tubes and thorough tweaking to get it there wheras an 8 incher will do it easliy.

The NEC 6pG series can do it as well.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Disappointing news on the Sonys. The wall I need to project onto is only 54" wide - that leaves me constrained to a screen size of around 48"x27" (16:9 with a slight border), or a 55" diagonal.

Is the 70" minimum a relative standard for *all* CRTs? Am I out of luck if I can't change my image size requirements?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I run my Sony at 1280x720 and agree that it is at or beyond it's limits of resolving power. It looks better than 600P IMHO. I'm very happy with the picture though, friends are astounded.

I'm looking forward to getting that 1292.......

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi Jimmer2,

You should get a hold of Curt Palme.

He might have some Barco 1208 or 808's left. Or maybe an NEC xg series projector. He might have some Marquee 8000.

I have an Nec Xg75 projector myself and I love it.

I would definitely try to get an 8inch Crt projector.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
251 Posts
I only know about NEC XG-series projectors, but both the XG-85 and XG-135LC have a minimum projection size of 48" wide at 68.7" (XG85) or 69.9" (XG135LC) throw distance.

You could easily reduce the raster size a touch and get your 46" width.

- David Eddy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David: Excellent! I'll look into the NEC XG line...

Though with that throw distance, the projector will be hanging in the middle of the room... :)

Are y'all *sure* I'd get a measurably better picture this way than with an LT-150 LCD PJ tucked into a corner? (ducks and runs...) :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Jimmer2,

It depends on what you mean by 'better'. If you mean 'brighter' then no, the LT150 will probably beat the XG there. If you mean 'more filmlike' or 'better perceived image quality', then the XG will win hands down. :D

Perhaps you should visit a few people with well-setup CRTs on smallish screens and form your own opinion.

- David Eddy

PS: Oh yeah, don't forget WAF: XG projectors are 30" long, 14" high, and 24" wide. Not huge for a CRT projector, but still quite a big lump on the ceiling. Also, at that distance the XG will expect the centre of the screen to be 26" down from the mounting plane of the projector (the ceiling), so don't forget to take that into account.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.