Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

How would a CRT's resolution compare to an LCD's resolution?

For example many 22" 16:9 LCDs are rated at 1280x720 pixels. If both were fed a 1080i signal, upon close up viewing, would I see more detail on the 22" 16:9 LCD than on a 26" 16:9 CRT (Toshiba 26HF84, for example)?

Would the CRT be displaying a truly HD image?

The LCDs are fixed pixel but the CRT "scans" so it is possible to have detail within the CRT phosphor's "pixel", thus having the same resolution?

Sony's Super-Fine Pitch CRTs seem to have plasma-like "pixel" density of the phosphor dots.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
The Sony super-fine-pitch HD CRTs would exceed that LCD resolution a bit (about 1400 horizontal) but the standard HD CRTs would be a little less (about 850 horizontal) resolujtion. But a 22" display for HDTV would only be useful for very close viewing distance like under 2feet, so usually a little less resolution but a larger screen is a better option.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A fixed resolution display will be able to display a digital input of a certain resolution (native) "pixel perfect". A CRT, even a really "sharp" one, will tend to give an image a sort of "warm" look, but can still be extremely accurate at the same time. The way each of the technologies scales an image plays a big role in image accuracy imo. Of course a CRT with lots and lots of really tiny dots that are crammed extremely close together can top just about anything in terms of resolution, it's just a matter of finding one that has that :) The only type of display that does have that are computer monitors with dot pitches tighter than .25. If a large television were made with that dot pitch, it would probably suffer brightness problems (but not necessarily). The main reason there are no tv's like that is probably price.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sony had a 23" 16:9 CRT monitor, if I recall, which looked great -- if hooked up to a HTPC.

Was just wondering if these low cost HD-ready CRTs display a true HD picture or just accept an HD signal and display it at another resolution.

I've seen the Sony Super-Fine Pitch sets. They look outstanding.

Paul

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
The CRT HDTVs usually can support a native 1080i mode, but the CRT surface itself only has so many RGB triplets so that will filter the image to your eyes. Just take a magnifying glass up close to the surface of a CRT with an image displayed and count the pixels to determine your CRT's dotpitch.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
What's really amazing is the fact that Sony Direct View CRT monitors displayed the most resolution at a lower price than LCD and Sony took the option of buying DIrect-view away from consumers and now MAKES them buy LCD. I wonder if MAKING people buy more expensive LCD computer displays helps them sell more Rear projection LCD TV sets? They said a 40-inch Directview was impossible and Sony prioduced one. They said 38-inch Widescreen was impossible and RCA produced one. Now they're saying they're impossible again and want us to pay more for LCD. Do any of you out there believe them? All we are saying is give Direct-view a chance!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
The 38inch and 40inch CRTs proved impractical not impossible, they are just too heavy and difficult to produce and have problems like purity issues. Meanwhile larger plasma displays have come down in price and are competitive, so its no question why the larger CRTs were discontinued.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Picture Quality Blindness--when someone actually believes LCD Rear Projection looks good.

Pro Video Industry Plant Litmus Test-when anyone makes any argument for the Industry that supports less Direct-view model choices!

Intentional Price Size Gap- a function of making Direct-view displays small enough and Plasma and DLP sets expensive enough to force consumers into buying Rear Projection LCD.

Optimal Direct-view forum saturation level - the point at which there are enough posters lauding the quality of Rear Projection LCD or cheapness of Plasma so that no one will conceive of a price size gap.

Proof of the above - ask the people who make such arguments if they think Direct-view is the best technology. All of a sudden those people won't be anywhere to be found.

Last but not least: Law of the Purity of Direct-view forum posters - Compare the number of posters who on a percentage basis only post at the Direct-view Forum with the number of posters who only post at the Rear Projection Forum. The Direct-View percentage will be much higher.

That concludes my class on how outside forces try their best to manipulate the Direct-view forum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.