AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be setting up my first crt system.

I read through the manual and did all the calcuations regarding srceen size, distances, etc.

My question....

I can't do a ceiling mount as I have a ceiling fan in the way ( and my wife won't let me move/remove it. (You know howthat is).

A floor mount will work EXCEPT that the calculations would put the CRT Cart right in the middle of my sectional sofa (for the size screen I will be using - 76x53).

Should I:

1. Go for a smaller screen size and hide the unit under my coffee table. This option might cause me to have to readjust before each use as it may not be in the same spot each time.

or

2. If I put the unit on a cart and put it against the back of the sofa

(aligned with the planking of the hardwood floor to assure same position each use), can I use the hoizontal and vertical screen size controls to slightly shrink the projected image to fit the screen (or would that throw everything out of wack).

What are your suggestions?.................... Marc

·
Registered
438 Posts
From your comment on aligning it with the plank while on the cart. Are you suggesting you would move in between usage. I would not do this. No matter how careful you are the rolling and moving it around will affect focus, alignment etc.

Yep the floor mount option (which I'm currently using until I buy a house) usually wants the best seat in the house. Not sure why putting under a coffee table would make it not be in the same spot each time. Care to explain. Anyway sounds like the best compromise to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK...

I was hoping that keeping the unit in a closet until being needed would make wife happier, and IF I put the cart with unit back to same spot (ie lined up with floor planks) I should not have to refocus before each use.

From what I am hearing, this will probably not work. It would still need to be realigned each time which would be a major pain.

As for keeping it under coffee table, calculations in manual would tend to make me think unit would have to be about 20" off floor. Again, I thought this would mean storing it under table but pulling it out before each use at sticking it on TOP of the table ( wife is type that would consider a crt projector as "clutter" and not want it out 24/7) - and then I could not have it positioned/repositioned within 1-2" of same spot each time (which manual gives as possible leyway if unit has to be moved).

Are the mount calculations RIGID? ie; Can I simply set it up permanently under my table, even though it would be lower than recommended? Do I just have to play around till I find best compromise?

I plan to try the installation this coming weekend................ Marc

p.s. I'm amazed on how fast I get responses here at AVS! Thanks All !!!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
We're a crowd who is a tad to bored at other activities... hence fast response. :)

You may be able to put it under the table just a few inches off the floor and angle it up to the screen. There is a limit to the amount of angle you can use as the projector is limited both by airflow considerations (airflow doesn't work nearly as well when tilted) and by the amount of keystone you can apply (thus determining if you can get the image properly on screen).

You may just need to move your screen down a few inches, and tilt the projector up to get the desired effect. Most guys seem to build their coffee tables so the table is "high", more like an end table, thus letting you put the projector a few more inches off the floor.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Would your wife be open to the idea of 2 ceiling fans? Move the one in the way to one side of where the projector would go, and put another on the other side.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Sounds like you need to get your priorities straight! Whaddya want? Great home theater or a Wife???

Besides, any woman who cant understand the pure joy that comes from watching a movie in perfect home surroundings.Has issues.

Better extricate yourself now and avoid future issues. If she has problems now what happens when you want to upgrade to the dual 9" stack???

Remember "Women come and go.... Great theater is a joy forever!"

:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did you mention what model CRT you are dealing with.

If we are talking about the average 125 to 150 lbs you may not be pulling it out from under a coffee table to place it on top. Even wheeling it around could be dangerous. The creative use of mirrors may help.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
How about replacing the wife? Ask her to compromise, not dictate. Lose the fan and find an attractive means to providing air-movement in the room. Then buy her something nice to sweeten the deal.

If that don't work, go rent Very Bad Things as a primer, buy a shovel, and get busy. :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If you need your projector lower(to fit into a permanent install coffee table hush box), then you just need to angle it up, AND and angle the screen down. With the compensations, you can get proper alignment without pushing the controls too much. You can get the screen angled if its a pulldown with a tether point behind the screen, or if its a permanent screen, just mount it with the top out from the wall.

DID you look at the "Check out my coffee table hush box" thread ?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Well, at the risk of being labeled "whipped," I think you've got the right idea about pleasing your wife. I'm not married now (was for 28 years), but I still make a real effort to please my live-in girlfriend. In this way I've been able to get everything I've wanted in HT and otherwise.

A perfectly set up and aligned PJ produces a wonderful picture, but if it produces a scowl or a sigh whenever she looks up or if it produces a complaint or a whine every time a little air circulation is desired and "No, I didn't mean hot air blowing out the a** of an ugly projector!" when you try to joke about it, THEN the picture is not going to be enjoyable and neither will many other parts of your life.

It really is possible to mount your PJ on a cart and move it, although you'll need to do at least a minimal recal every time. If it has built in test patterns, you can do a lot of the fine tuning by using the "swiveling/jiggling" adjustment--you know, a nudge on a corner of the cart, a slight push to the side, etc. BIG HOWEVER is that it needs to be a really sturdy cart that won't topple over. You'll be brokenhearted if your PJ falls, and she'll be totally pi**ed that you wasted the money on something you broke PLUS ruined her floor.

In reality, you're better off if you can get the cart in place and leave it there. Mine's right behind the couch. If there's a piece of furniture or a decorative treatment that she likes, this will be easy. An attractive (not cheap) Oriental privacy screen, curio cabinet, plant stand, display case, photo screen, architectural planting, fish tank, etc., can be used to effectively screen the unit from the room's primary visual interface.

Unless you're rich enough to build your own room AND build/ buy her something she wants, you just need to go into it with the attitude that you both can be happy, and you'll find a way. Murder is a (bad) short term solution (sorry guys), and you'll really regret having to watch movies with guys called Lefty, Bubba, and Big Nancy in the joint.

With the few compromises I've had to make, my girlfriend has been very understanding of my "addiction" and has come around to really appreciate and benefit from the audio/video experience. And now, because of the HT, I am doing things in that room that I never imagined I'd be doing.:eek:

·
Registered
596 Posts
What about moving the sectional sofa? :D

I have an NEC 6pg+ and the calculations in the manual don't quite match what most people here utilize for CRT to screen distance. Most put their pjs a little closer per than what would be predicted by the calculations in the manual so that they can use a little more phosphor. But be careful, don't allow the raster to get too close to the edge of the CRT. Point is, maybe you could move the sofa back a little, and the pj could actually be moved a little closer and still get the screen size you want?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.