Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new at this and I do not have a CRT yet though I have been browsing your posts for awhile with great interest.

I still cannot figure out a few things ( a lot more after I buy it)so maybe you could help.

One question came to mind yesterday when browsing this forum and has to do with image size changing with various sources.

1. After buying the projector how am I supposed to provide all these different video formats to set it up correctly ?

2. Can a HTPC work (as a doubler)with my VCR,cable etc. ?

From the posts I understand it works great with a DVD(internal)

3. What is my best bet for up to $2000 ?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
1) You only need to provide the sources you actually own to properly setup the projector. By sources we mean things like your DVD player, HTPC/scaler, etc. When you are dealing with HD TV signals, you will need to (re)setup the projector for each format used by the channels/programs you watch. This shouldn't take too long once the other sources are setup.

2) Yes, an HTPC does a great job with this. I currently use mine for DVD playing and scaling the output of my ReplayTV/cable for projection on my Barco. DScaler is a free software program for Windows that is among the best scalers out there. (If you want really good, get an H3D, but its $800 more expensive than $0.)

3) Does this $2k budget include your HTPC? Screen? Mounting hardware? :) There's a lot of associated costs with a projector (to make it useful) that people oft forget. I have no ideas at this price point, but there are a LOT of good projectors for sub $2k. Other members should be able to help out on this one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1. Using an HTPC you simply choose the resolution you want and configure your projector with that setting. I believe most projectors have some sort of memory capacity. My Electrohome ECP-3500 has quite a few memories that can be configured on different resolutions, etc.

2. Line-doubling is quite simple. Just get dscaler (Windows software) and a brooktree-based video capture card (anything with "WinTV" will probably work.. just double check it). I use this setup all the time with a Gamecube, but you should have no trouble running a VCR into it (the video capture card, that is).

3. You can get a fairly decent setup. My HTPC probably ran somewhere around $500-600 and my projector was another $480 or so. I suggest newegg.com for HTPC shopping. They have decent prices and all the latest hardware. Plus it's convenient to purchase all components from one place, rather than multiple sources. You will probably want to shop around for your WinTV card and, depending on your needs, sound card.

Hope that helps,

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.