AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used NEC XG110 PJ for my new apartment (I have space now!!) and am looking to build a nice HTPC to feed it. Could I please get some feedback on my component choices? Here's my list so far:

MP Modded Radeon 8500 (64MB or 128?) ---> RGB1 on PJ

MYHD Tuner card for Cable and OTA HDTV ----> RGB2 on PJ

Asus A78NX Motherboard, Integrated Audio, 2 NICS, Coax In & Out

Athlon 2200+ CPU

Corsair 512MB Memory

DVD/CD-RW Combo, slot loading

100~120 Gig HD

Lian-Li PC-9300 Case

400 Watt Power Supply

Audiovox Maestro PDA for remote functionality

I posted in this Forum because I'm mainly interested in maintaining picture quality with the NEC. Incidentally, I also have a Sony STR-DE685 that will doing the outboard processing (audio). Thanks in advance!

Ryan

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I do not think you have to worry about being CRT specific...except for one item, and that's the Mike Parker's mod'ed card...that is going to be the card that puts your HTPC over the top and into rarified air! I have tested an earlier version of this card and am currently awaiting the full blown version. It really is a must for those looking to get the most out of their pj...the addition of that card is like a projector upgrade.

I don't know enough about computers to comment on your other components.

However I don't see your audio card on the list. I use the M-audio 24/96 and am happy with it.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Ryan,

Kenny is right, HTPCs are not specific to CRTs per se...though Powerstrip software is setup for use with common resolutions to which you might wish to scale the video feeding that projector.

Everything you have there looks reasonable, though I prefer the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 or M-Audio DIO Delta 24/96 to the chinsy AC97 chipsets commonly found on motherboards with integrated sound. If you can afford to wait until mid month the all new M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card will be out and will retail for about $100, which is the best value yet in an M-Audio sound card.

--Jerome

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it were me:

- mod a Radeon 9000 Pro 64Mb

- add an m-audio for sound

- save some money and go with 256Mb and slower processor

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BradS
If it were me:

- mod a Radeon 9000 Pro 64Mb

- add an m-audio for sound

- save some money and go with 256Mb and slower processor
I agree I have had no sound issues with my audiophile 2496 and TheaterTek. I am also biased toward Intel Processors for HTPC's however others have used AMD with great success. Yep save the money on the ram because you will need more than 120 Gb hard drive. I have almost 1 terrabyte 8-120 GB drives almost full of movies. You will find you never want to delete anything because recorded HD looks so good.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. The onboard audio is part of the nforce2 Chipset, which from what I've read, has pretty decent reviews ( NVIDIA SoundStorm). It has SPDIF In/Out which works for me. I would mainly be using it for 5.1/DTS passthrough to my receiver with the occasional use for MP3 playback and/or gaming.

Less RAM, that's an option. I just figured with the price of RAM these days it may as well be equivilant to my desktop PC. I would like this machine to be the central server in the home. CPU choice was made from a price point, XP 2200 retail runs about $157 and utilizes the cooler running "Thoroughbred" die. The other component still up in the air is the video card. As eluded to in another post, the 9700 or 9500 ATI card seemed to have a sharper picture then previous versions. Perhaps a 9500, as they are much more reasonably priced than the 9700's.

Thanks for the input!

Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.