Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This has probably come up before, but just wondering how the CRT timer works on the Sony 1272.

When the hours get to 9999, does it reset back to zero hours, or does it

clock over to 10000 and continue?

Thanks & Regards,

Andrew...

·
Registered
912 Posts
The 1271Q Service Manual shows only a 4 (0000 to 9999) position hour meter. I would imagine that would be the same on the 1272. My presumption is that once it reached 9999 it would then go to 0000. If your trying to verify the hours and the tubes one way may be to inspect the CRT funnels and look for a date stamp on the side.

·
Registered
253 Posts
WOW... if i buy a 127* projector and run the CRTs to over 10k hrs the tubes automaticly are replaced by the tube fairy, and the clock resets to ZERO? nice feature... must admit i didnt know it though. have bought a few sonys in the past and so far havent had any problems with bad tubes, was relying on the clocks... have to be more carefull buying out of town i suppose. thanks for the info, ken

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
No actually what happens is when the clock hits 9999, and trys to turn over, the units figures it hit the end of it's usefulness and since no one replaced the tubes and reset the counter, it stops operating ...............really!!

Terry

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Terry,

Is there away to reset the counter back to zero without replacing the tubes?

Not really asking how as I figure you probably won't reveal this on the forum, but if it can be done?

Also what exactly are the error codes that Tim has mentioned?

I have a 1272 that is showing approx 1800 hours with no burn, as far as I can tell anyway.

But what I was trying to get at was, is it possible to have no burn, and yet have more than 10K hours? Wondering if my 1272 has a genuine 1800hours, or could it possibly have 11800 hours?

Or is it fact that once you reach 10K hours on Sony tubes, they should be pretty much cactus, regardless of their history with respect to use?

Any info appreciated,

Thanks, Andrew...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes the meter can be reset without replacing the CRT(s).

Yes it is possible to have a high meter reading and no visible burn. However keep in mind that the light output decreases over time/use even though there may not be any burnin. The phosphors degrade and get coated on the inside from the the cathode deposits.

I don't see an error code listed in my manual.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Wilkins
Yes the meter can be reset without replacing the CRT(s).

Yes it is possible to have a high meter reading and no visible burn. However keep in mind that the light output decreases over time/use even though there may not be any burnin. The phosphors degrade and get coated on the inside from the the cathode deposits.

I don't see an error code listed in my manual.

Can the meter be reset to any hour total, say 1450 hours, or does it lock in and start at 0000?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Whoah, wait... so, my 1271q that I bought last fall that I thought had 3600 hours on it could have 13,600 hours on it? I know it came from a university auditorium, and I know it was in service probably 9 years before being replaced with a bulb. I figured that worked out to a couple of hours per day on average.

The image looks really nice (though not super-bright) and I can't see any burns or significant wear, so I assume it's got 3600 and not 13,600 - but... is there any way to really tell?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.