AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you recently switched from a CRT-based HDTV to a rear-projection LCD or DLP set? I know the user folgersnyourcup recently had a Sony 34-XBR800 34" tube, and traded it for the Panny 50LC13.

So, now that you've switched, what do you think? What are the benefits and disadvantages you've seen compared to your old CRT HDTV set?

I've got the same Sony set I mentioned above, which I love, but am not "married" to it. Like to keep my options open ;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
1. weights less

2. bigger screen

3. bigger screen

4. bigger screen

5. bigger screen

6. bigger screen

7. bigger screen

8. bigger screen

9. bigger screen

10. it's football season in HD on a big screen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Old CRT based RPTV does not hold convergence as well as it did. Also, picture has become progressively 'softer' with time as the CRT ages. DLP set is sharp as a tack and should hold the sharpness with use.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My reasons for buying (Samsung) DLP, most important first:

• My old RPTV was dying. It croaked a month before my new DLP was delivered.

• No CRT-based RPTV seemed to be sharp enough for HDTV.

• Few CRT-based RPTV behemoths would fit down my narrow staircase.

• My basement media room's ceiling was too low for a front projector.

• DLPs never burn in.

• Samsung's DLP sets have a DVI/HDCP input.

• Great price thru the AVS Forum's Samsung Power Buy. (Thanks, David Bott!)

• DLPs never need converging or refocusing.

• DLP lamps stay bright to end-of-life, and don't cost thousands to replace.

CRTs have just one advantage that I'm aware of:

• Richer blacks with more shades of dark gray.

One more reason to be glad I bought a Samsung DLP:

• Samsung recently replaced my HLM507W (which I thought was great except for an unrepairable cabinet resonance, elicited by ordinary speech) with a much better HLN507W. (The HLN even has better blacks, although of course they're still not as good as a CRT's.) Great service, guys! Kudos to Steve Panosian!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Switching from a Sony 36XBR400 to a Sammy HLN567W DLP.

My factors were as follows:

1. Weight - moving sometime soon I think and Sony is the only thing I have that weighs more than I do.

2. Depth - saves about 6"

3. Bigger screen - can't say size don't matter in this case

4. DVI/VGA - getting Bravo D1 DVD for all-digital path, since I watch a lot of movies, will also run VGA to hookup this laptop.

5. No burn-in - I use games/SD with bars on the side and will be using computer. This is key.

I was originally leaning towards the Philips LCoS, until people started getting them and noticing that they're a 1.0 product. Went and took a look at the DLP, actually looked better on SD signal than my smaller tube at similar distance. HD and DVD are also thumbs up. Given all the factors at play (CRT too big, Plasma too $$ per size) the Sammy was the best choice for me.

I'm sure my Sony will have a long and happy life with my parents, who don't plan on moving any time.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I had a CRT RPTV in my basement and wanted to move my HT upstairs in my living room and did not want it to take up too much space, DLP fit the bill, yeah, there are trade-offs, but for the time being, it fit my needs.

Jim

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by st_nick
Switching from a Sony 36XBR400 to a Sammy HLN567W DLP.

My factors were as follows:

1. Weight - moving sometime soon I think and Sony is the only thing I have that weighs more than I do.

2. Depth - saves about 6"

3. Bigger screen - can't say size don't matter in this case

4. DVI/VGA - getting Bravo D1 DVD for all-digital path, since I watch a lot of movies, will also run VGA to hookup this laptop.

5. No burn-in - I use games/SD with bars on the side and will be using computer. This is key.

I was originally leaning towards the Philips LCoS, until people started getting them and noticing that they're a 1.0 product. Went and took a look at the DLP, actually looked better on SD signal than my smaller tube at similar distance. HD and DVD are also thumbs up. Given all the factors at play (CRT too big, Plasma too $$ per size) the Sammy was the best choice for me.

I'm sure my Sony will have a long and happy life with my parents, who don't plan on moving any time.
Don't count on it.

I'm moving from my 36XBR400 to the Panasonic 50LC13 because my Sony died on me after 2 years. After doing some research on the net, it seems many XBR400s suffer the same exact problem. With Sony denying any problems with their TVs and their refusal to help a person who spent big bucks on their top of the line TV as well as owning lots of Sony products over the years (many of which that have also gone bad), I've decided never to buy a single Sony product again.

Back on topic, I got my TV because I thought the picture looked fabulous and the price was right.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I converted to LCoS (the new Philips Cineos that seems to be hit and miss as far as production quality is concerned), but same thing I guess. The reason is that I have always hated the boxy look and bulk of a CRT RP, not to mention the limited viewing angle. The fact that I can get a fantastic picture in a package that weighs less than 100 lbs and can sit on a tabletop with a 55" screen made this decision easy for me. At the current price points (though the new Panasonic LCD seems to be a good set at a GREAT price), though, I can understand why this may not be popular opinion to the general public.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Sorry, I'm going to take my place as a die-hard CRT man.

My brother has the 42" Samsung DLP, and it is very impressive, to be sure.

So why would I stay with CRT? Aside from the obvious blacks issue?

A fully calibrated CRT has a better picture. You can sit closer to it without ANY fixed pixel screen door effect.

I sit 8' back from my 65" Panny, and am in heaven. I could not do that with a DLP, or any other fixed pixel modality short of the 1080p LCOS.

DLP has a nonconvergeable image, whereas CRTs can be fine-tuned. On the older DLPs, apparent convergence error was visible at the last foot and a half of each side of the screen at the edges, on all vertical lines. The R, G and B images would continue to separate more and more, the farther you went out from center of screen.

This was caused by refraction error of the one-gun optics, and was not remedyable via convergence. It leapt out at me on my first viewing of a 65" Mit DLP, and I saw it on all DLPs I looked at after that, as well. Both sides were blurry, for a full foot, at the ends of the right and left sides. On a CRT system, I could dial that in and remedy it. Not on a DLP. This year there is less of that, because they are using longer throw distances by folding the light path an additional turn, with an additional mirror.

Price. Even fully calibrated, a fully tweaked CRT setup is still far less expensive than the same size DLP unit.

Rainbow effect. Which is actually strobe effect. Not there on CRT, no matter how quickly your eyes dart around the screen following the action.

The lamp in a DLP gets dimmer and dimmer and dimmer until you finally have to replace it. It doesn't just go out.

Sorry, still a CRT man.

You can see my 65" Panny if you click on my website, below. I'll put its sharpness up against DLP sharpness any day. It has an HD image on it, and was photographed by a Canon 35mm (analog, not digital) camera on tripod, 6' away. With its sharpness I sit back and luxuriate in studying the grain of the film used to shoot episodes broadcast in HD, like Alias and CSI.

I'd be glad to calibrate sets for any other diehard CRT viewers reading this also, and will also gladly fine tune grayscale and user settings on DLP units - or LCD, or DILA, or LCOS or whatever - for DLP enthusiasts whenever needed.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a Pioneer Elite 530 which I really liked. Unfortunately, it was too big for my wife to tolerate, plus I was paranoid about burn-in as she has CNN or Fox on all day. So after 3 weeks, it went back to the store for a Samsung HLN467. I like the DLP just fine. To tell the truth, my level of sophistication about the subtleties of Home theater is the same as my appreciation of fine wine. That is to say, I buy Columbia Crest and Beringer. I do plan to have the set calibrated once it has some hours on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I THOUGHT that I was a convert to LCD, but after having the Panny 50LC13 for almost four weeks, I returned it due to poor SD and DVD picture quality when compared to my ten year old Sony Trinitron CRT. There's just too much pixilation and ghosting, even at viewing distances around ten feet. Although HD content looked great, I just could not justify the price I paid for something that looks WORSE than my old set.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ_V
Have you recently switched from a CRT-based HDTV to a rear-projection LCD or DLP set? I know the user folgersnyourcup recently had a Sony 34-XBR800 34" tube, and traded it for the Panny 50LC13.

So, now that you've switched, what do you think? What are the benefits and disadvantages you've seen compared to your old CRT HDTV set?

I've got the same Sony set I mentioned above, which I love, but am not "married" to it. Like to keep my options open ;)
I can't completely answer this yet, but:

I had an 34" tube also (toshiba). I enjoy it alot. HD reception is excellent. SD material on DTV is good. So far I've not seen a RPT type tv that can match a tube imho.

Here are the reason why I decided to get an LCP (panny).

1. I just moved into a bigger house. Give me an excuse to buy a new TV.

2. The panny has so many Componet inputs. I can connect my XBOX, DVD Player, Gamecube, and my old Zeneith 1080i HD DTV receiver. Hopefully soon I will switch to a new HD receiver with DVI. I feel it's not necessary to spend the $$$ right now.

3. Burn in issues, but to tell you the truth I really don't care about that. I never did treat my TV's well.

4. Coolness factor of the thought of having a LCD. Lame I know, but it's cool.

5. PRICE. $2300 is pretty cheap I guess. I was going to get a Pioneer Elite 530. I'm still wondering if I've should have gone that route.

6. It's easy to move around. And some say it takes less space. But with the TV stand I got, it's about the same size as a regular 50" tv.

7. Tubes don't have screen size I need, so I had to get a RPTV of some type.

Here is what I don't like about my lcd (panny). Keep in mind I haven't played around with my tv yet. Since I just moved into my new house, I haven't setup D*TV yet. This should be done by tomorrow. I'll have a better idea in how it performs then.

1. The black lvls not up to par. Watching TV I can hack the lvls. But playing Halo in a dark area kind of gets annoying.

2. I watched Leno on CBS in HD yesterday for the first time and the picture was great. But it's not as 3D looking like my Toshiba 34"

3. I have a few dead pixels, but I can't see them unless I'm about a foot away from TV.

4. Bulb life.

5. Color is not as rich as my tube, but it's not bad. Black lvls have something to attribute to this.

6. I can't think of anything else right now.

I'll have a better idea if I regret going LCD by tomorrow after the D*TV installation.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I wish that everyone would buy a DLP or LCD display.:D

Then the manufacturers will have an incentive to improve the technology - and the PQ will eventually get as good (or probably surpass) the CRTs.

It will take a generation or two or three before the issues associated with first generation DLP/LCD/LCoS sets are resolved. Look at plasmas - they are now at the 6th generation - and the PQs are generally stunning.

Yes - DLPs and LCD do offer many advantages. But IMO they are not ready for prime time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Master-G
I THOUGHT that I was a convert to LCD, but after having the Panny 50LC13 for almost four weeks, I returned it due to poor SD and DVD picture quality when compared to my ten year old Sony Trinitron CRT. There's just too much pixilation and ghosting, even at viewing distances around ten feet. Although HD content looked great, I just could not justify the price I paid for something that looks WORSE than my old set.
How big was your Trinitron? Remember, with any big screen projection tv you're blowing the image up so it will look different than a 27, 32, or 36" CRT tube. I think you had a defective Panasonic because I never see those problems you listed. I think most of the Panasoic owners here would also agree.

What did you end up buying?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klemsaba
How big was your Trinitron? Remember, with any big screen projection tv you're blowing the image up so it will look different than a 27, 32, or 36" CRT tube. I think you had a defective Panasonic because I never see those problems you listed. I think most of the Panasoic owners here would also agree.

What did you end up buying?
The other TV is a 27 inch Sony CRT. Viewing even at a one foot distance from this set was better than watching SD and DVD's from the Panny at 10 feet. I initially did think that it could be defective, but I ruled that out by auditioning another set (same problems). In fact, I haven't seen a single large screen set that compares in quality to a good direct view CRT (except for the Panny and Fujitsu plasmas).

If I could have increased the viewing distance somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 to 14 feet, most of the problems (artifacts and ghosting) would be eliminated, but I'm limited to 10 feet. Now I'm sure that other owners will disagree with me, but to my eyes the picture quality wasn't worth the price.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Master-G

LCD (Panny in particuarlar) has poor SDTV performance.

LCD also has poor blacks

LCD also has stuck, burnt, or missing pixels.

LCD is less reliable.

LCD has smearing effect and trails on fast motion (LCD TECHNOLOGY LIMITATION)

LCD also has screen door effect

LCD also costs more than CRT.

LCD has neon like colors

LCD has horrible grayscale issue, and purple and blue colored dark gray blacks.

LCD IS NOT FOR ME:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.