AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am replacing my hd-6 lenses with a brand new set because of some cracks in the lenses. Any ways I have 1031q and have the lenses out and am trying to remove them from the basket holder "not sure what it's called" Anyway the lenses are held down by 4 nuts. The manual says use a 8mm nut driver. That's fine and dandy accept for most nut drivers don't have 12' inch extensions. Please help me!!!

Thanks to all!!!

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You are going to have to find a long one or use a short one and disassemble the whole block (to allow you to get access to the nuts with a short driver. Yes, that means you will have to take off the fans and anything esle that's in the way. At least thats how I did it. It's not hard, just a real pain in the ass. Be careful not to lose any screws and remember how everything goes back.

Are your HD-6s completely wasted or is it just cosmetic?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Myoung I will post a pic of them tonight or tomorrow and let you decide. Also are you saying I and to take the lenses apart so that it's only half the height?

·
Registered
221 Posts
How about a 8mm x 1/4 inch socket with a long 1/4" extension

or

an 8mm x hex drive (think electric screwdriver) socket with a hex drive extension ?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
No, DO NOT TAKE THE LENSES APART! :eek: ;) What I was saying is that the metal frame that the lenses attach to can be disassembled to allow you better access to the nuts. If you remove the fans you will be able to get better access. What I do is use a 1/3" nut driver (I don't have an 8mm nut driver :( ) and use a pair of pliers to give the handle of the nut driver good torque. Then after a nut is loosened I do the rest by hand.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
There are about six screws all around the LENSE BLOCK. Thats what the "frame" is called.

After you remve them you lift up and pull forward and they come off all at the same time. Be carefull becuse this is what makes up most of the weight of a 1031Q with HD6 lenses. You will really be supprised how light the unit is with the lense block removed. Heck it might be a good way for one man to mount this machine :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got the HD-6's as well, except mine are on a ECP 4100. Mine must be different unless you are talking about something different than removing the front lens mine only have three screws around the edge, the lens can then be removed.

Where are/did you get your replacements? That's next on my list, mine are badly scratched.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i had to make or improvise a extention when i changed my lenses for what its worth i used a long skinny file and hammered a 8mm socket on to it to do the job, but the draw back is that i couldn,t remove the 8mm socket from the file after the job was over , ha, you should see my other frankenstein tools , that have been "made" out of nessesity, oh well when i change my hacc 6 lenses to hd-144 i have the "tool" do do it .............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.