AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you posting threads on geometry problems, this may be good news. My Toshiba CW34X92 34 inch 16:9 crt HDTV had a convex shape to the bottom horizontal lines on the screen. So I tried to get it fixed.

Bad news: The first repair technicians I tried made it even worse by moving the convergence magnets on the back of the CRT and using the geometry codes in the service menu. They did this in home without any shop or test equipment. Result. Some improvement in geometry and but convergence was screwed up.

Good news: The second repair outfit -- State TV Service Center in Bogota NJ -- took the set to their shop and fixed both the geometry and convergence problems using their shop equipment. No, the geometry isn't perfect, but it is very close, as good or better than I've seen in any showroom.

Bottom line. If you have geometry problems, they can be fixed, but be prepared to demonstrate the problem to the technicians and tell them you're coming with a DVD player and Avia disc to confirm their work before you'll pay for the repair. Don't trust anyone who says they can fix the problem in your home without shop equipment.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sscharbach
Don't trust anyone who says they can fix the problem in your home without shop equipment.
Best advice ever. Geometry adjustments interact with each other to some extent. When you add convergence to the equation, proper adjustment becomes impossible by eye alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.