AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an E-home Marquee 8K. 1994, 1700 hrs usage on original tubes - 1/2 of it logged with me just playing and adjusting it! My question relates to when should one power down and when is it advantageous not to power down? Usage patterns in other words.

I know a fellow who has one and he leaves it on all the time. Main power off, but the fans still run even when off and I *think the LV power supply is on even during those conditions.

Personally, I turn it off when not in use (not standby, not off, but totally disconnected) unless I am going to use it within the next hour or so. I do not leave it in standby or powered down, but unplugged (or equivalent - I have it on a separate power switch).

I know there is a benefit in :

1) using electronic devices often

2)applying voltage across the caps to keep them good

3)not putting unneccessary usage on the tubes.

However,

1) the most stress is put across components at turnon/off.

I was wondering what usage patterns other folks follow on their CRT's? Obviously, the intent is to maximize longevity, but minimize problems.

I'd really like to hear opinions in this regard.

TIA, BSA

:p

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If the fans are running they will wear out after a while, I had to replace one on my computer so I do not leave it on all the time now.

Lots of hours showing on the meter will reduce the resale value.

The electronics in these PJ's last along time.

If it is on all the time would not the chance of a surge coming down the line and effecting the PJ be greater?

Does it really make a differance?

Deron

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
You adjusted and played with the PJ for 850 hours, is that right?

Deron

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
BSA,

This question in several different forms has come up a few times since I've been a member. The one point made over and over has been folks who say they leave their computers on all the time so why not the CRTs. I've heard that the fans on CRTs are rated to last 100,000 hrs! I'm just not able to pull myself to leave them essentially on picture mute 24/7. This may be irrational but I just can't do it. This would reduce or eliminate warm up issues ( which are particularly acute with stacked systems) but I basically power down but not unplugged when not in use.

Art

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
We shut our projector completely down when were not watching. Thats because I want to protect our crt tubes at all costs. They are more precious and expensive to replace than my power supply. And if power is removed from the chassis there is no way for the crts to get damaged; they can't be arced and the filaments can't be blown....there is no way. When power is removed the hour meter stops. I do not trust powered up electronics at all, even if its supposed to be in a standby condition.

But thats just how I feel.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
BSA,

Seek professional help.

This is the worst case of a Videokondriac I have heard about to date. 850 hrs of adjusting. whew.

Terry

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well - ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit! Not 850 hours of tuneup - it just feels like it! - tag that up to crummy eyesight (& not knowing what I am doing...) That still doesn't mean I don't need help for totally different reasons!

(PS. Thanks Tim! - he has the patience of a saint).

There doesn't seem to be any overiding reason to change what I have been doing. Normally turn it off, then hit the main switch to totally disengage it unless I am going to use it in the next hour or so. I thought Tim or someone may jump in with some point that I had not thought of.

It does not seem to be a good idea to rack up hours in standby mode.

PS. Got my HTPC running with the updated drivers for the Radeon 7500 (had to flash my OEM board), PowerDVD for DVD's, and the Dscaler 4 for other sources. A great piece of software. I personally find the 4 version cleaner (not as bug free though) than the officially supported version.:D :p

Thx for all the fish...., BSA

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Hey Bruce!

I've read a lot of the previous threads on this subject so I'll just recap what seems to be the general consensus:

- Leave the unit plugged in at all times. During a crazy lightning storm you may want to unplug it just to be safe. Some low-voltage (logic-level) stuff might be powered on in this plugged-in state, but there are usually no fans running and no heat generated.

- Don't turn off the projectors if it's going to be used again in the same day (in a few hours). Mute the picture instead. Turn it off overnight though.

Kal

·
Registered
Marantz ¦ Arendal ¦ JVC
183 Posts
maybe someone could elobrate or standardise possible projector states. As i see it, my 1271Q has 5 possible states;

1. Full on (picture displayed)

2. Picture mute

3. Off (standby mode, main unit power switch to on)

4. Powered down (main unit power switch to off)

5. Unplugged

Which of these states (2-5) are people referring to when they say "turn it off"

meep

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by meep
Which of these states (2-5) are people referring to when they say "turn it off"
To me off means State 3 or whatever state doesn't invoke the fans and the high voltage sections of the unit. Same as Art.

So in my description above, nobody even goes below 3. Use 2 if you expect to come back in a few hours. Use 1 if you're watching something. :) 5 if you're in a violent lighting storm.

4 and 5 are essentially the same thing no as nothing's actually active on a Sony in state 4 as the main unit power switch cuts the Ac from the wall I think.

·
Registered
667 Posts
For my 1272q I do what "nobody" does :)

I happen to go into state 5 when I am not going to watch another movie within 5 or 6 hours.

I have a cooling fan (for my hushbox) that is running anytime power is supplied to the projector.

Of course I put in in state 3 for a while before going to state 5. However I leave the manual switch in the front of the unit pushed in.

Paul

·
Registered
Marantz ¦ Arendal ¦ JVC
183 Posts
pkarmouche

don't I recall reading somewhere that it's explicitly recomened that the Sony be powered down by the unit's power on/off switch at the front? Not sure where I read that, setup manual maybe?

Maybe it's just me but I'm always extra careful to power items down as per manufactirers procedures (computers, tvs etc.). Probably because i don't understand electronics that much!

meep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.