AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a CRT set for many reasons over all the other technologies, but the number 1 reasons was that other then the LCOS which was brand new, and just a little better then my HItachi swx 57 inch in HD, and a tad better in analog, it was also 4k more and not worth that delta, but other then that set, I bought my CRT set because it bar none had the best picture. After that, it was much cheaper, and much bigger for what you spent, but I did find a few of hte plasma's intriguing in the Pioneer Elite and Fujitsu, but I just noticed something from buying a Fujitsu plasma wiht a client today, and now I want your opinion.

The Pioneer Elite, Fujitsu,

Sharp and new Loewe were all side by side playing 1080i broadcast today, and just as I told my customer the Fujitsu was the best because it not only was the best HD image, but also is much better then any of those in SD or analog programming. Most believe that is because the Fujitsu broadcasts all programs in their native resolution to p. So if 480i then it shows 480p, not 720p. My client saw them, agreed in 2 seconds and bought, but now I am watching MNF in 720p, upconverted to 1080i on my Hitachi swx 57 inch and thinking wow not one of those plasmas playing 1080i as 720p looked even close to as good as my 1080i set playing a 720p broadcast upsampled to 1080i. Has anyone else noticed this, and do the PBS broadcasts and Discovery in 1080i have something that makes them harder for a 720p set to do then MNF does for my 1080i set to do when it is really in 720p? My MNF looks so good that I am starting to wonder if a set that does 720p native is even necessary, or could look that much better. When I had a 65 xwx the 720p looked horrible, but this 57 inch is perfect, lacking nothing, and it looks as good as 1080i in most cases, and I would really like to compare 1080i on CBS NFL or Saturday SEC game of the week, because it is so good, that is may actually be better.

I look forward to hearing you guys opinion, and if the reasons are technical please try to make as simple as possible so I and other regular readers can actually understand them.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
:) Afraid you lost me about halfway through. I'm sure it makes sense, but I'm not sure about your early comment regarding Fujitsu PDPs and progressive. You might want to scan this article about Fujitsu and the interlace nature of some plasma displays. Believe there's now a mix of i/p scanning with plasmas, depending on the manufacturer.

Regarding differences between 720p/1080i: Several folks able to see 720p programs in both their native and sideconverted (1080i) formats say the 720p looks slightly better. Clearly the display/scaling used would factor in. Most here say 720p converted to 1080i looks fine, which is what I've found with my 64-inch CRT-based RPTV. And, of course, most here seem to think that 1080i programming, in general, delivers crisper images. -- John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.