Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am kind of a newbie when it comes to knowing much about bigscreen TVs, and since I am definitely going to be buying one within a month or two I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice.

I am looking for something around $2,000 or less, and my main reason for buying a bigscreen HDTV is to be able to watch DVDs at a relatively high resolution, as well as play the upcoming XBOX 360 at high resolution (1080 or 1280, something close) - I want my TV to be able to display this / these resolutions natively. More simply put, I basically want a large screen with crisp, high-contrast (black blacks, and white whites) pictures, and the picture displayed also has to be relatively bright - though I am definitely not extremely picky when it comes to subtleties.

Therefore my question is - while considering my budget (and the fact that I would like something 50 inches or larger) which technology is best for the above two requirements (DVDs and high-res gaming) - RP CRT, DLP, or RP LCD?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated – I am in the dark about most of this stuff!

·
Registered
15,817 Posts
At 50", I think CRT is your main option, but beware of burn-in when gaming. You might be able to find an older LCD or DLP model at Costco, etc. Try searching online for any LCDs or DLPs in your price range, post the models, and then we can give you feedback on them (sorry, but we're not going to do all your homework for you).

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
RP LCD has been very good for my gaming, but of course they don't have the blackest blacks. Not sure any TV is going to fit all your needs as you described them above. A RP CRT would have best blacks, but isn't as bright as a micro display so you have to decide what is more important to you. CRT's can also suffer from burn in, and my roommates otherwise good quality RP CRT won't display 720p from his XBox (Although I assume there are those that can).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow, sounds like you want the perfect TV at the perfect price. no problem all you need is to fast forward time :)

sorry, could not help it because I am in similar boat. I would say you HAVE to get a CRT RPTV. Great PQ, blackest black, under $2K for over 50" and can go up to 1080i which no micro disply does. Sure some new ones do 1080p but way over your budget and no 1080p input and no 1080p games yet.

However, keep in mind what has been said about burn in. I have had 3 CRT RPTVs and I haver had burn in however I could not consider myself a heavy gamer at any time. However I always watch movies properly, in their OAR as should be. no stretching and no zooming ever. So I often have have bars at the top and bottom on all my movies on my 4:3 Pioneer and bars on top and bottom for some movies and bars on the side on all TV shows when watching on the 2 HDTVs.

of course, YMMV

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's a solution, find a used CRT HDTV that someone like me bought 5 years ago for $5K. It's still got some life, you could pick it up for a (relative) song, and it could last you 2-3 years until the price of the LCD you *really* want is affordable.

You don't really need to worry about burn-in with the used unit, because you didn't pay much for it anyway. As long as the previous owner wasn't a heavy gamer.

If I could get a decent price for my used HDTV, I could probably convince my wife to let me buy a new one :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.